Vette Z06 Vs Viper - New Member

jamie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Touque,

Get a Viper!! As for Reliability, get a warranty and you are set. I put over 6k miles on my Viper last summer and not one problem. Since you live in a warm climate and only driving it on weekends, think about an RT/10. Nothing like it!!

SPARKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in the metroplex too. As you know when your on the highway you see 1000 corvettes everyday! How many vipers do you see? one a week maybe. why buy something everyone else has. plus buy a vette you will always loose more money on resale than the viper, and its obvious you have never driven a viper or you wouldnt even be asking this question!!!!!

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy a vette......

...if you wanna be owned by every viper you roll up on...
supergrin.gif

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am 33 and just bought a new 2001 Viper ACR and there is nothing like it. I am going to die every month my payment is due, but hey, you only live once. Unless you are a Hindu...

If you wear your shirts unbuttoned low enough to show-off your chest hair and gold chains, go with the Vette. If not go with real American muscle, not some electronically control sport car (electronic suspension control, traction control, etc...
crying.gif
...that's not an exotic)

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jrkermode:
[BI'm expecting big things even though the General usually finds a way to disappoint.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean ALWAYS disappoints...the new LS8??? Bean counters run Generic Motors...and it's still gonna be a 350...

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My last car was a Corvette convertible (6spd) and I loved it.
It was stylish, fast, handled well, was reasonably comfortable and reliable.

But when I had the chance to get a Viper, I grabbed it, and have never looked back.
supergrin.gif

Even though I use my Viper as a daily driver, the Z06 would be a better car for commuting duties. It has more luxury amenities, a more comfortable ride, and is much cheaper to mod.

But considering your goals: "Plan to drive the car only on weekends, on nice days. Not a commuter, or rainy weather driver. Plan to attend car shows etc.... " You will most likely get much more out of the Viper than the Vette.

Although debated, the Viper IS an Exotic car, and noticed everywhere you go. Whether it's parked, at a gas station, or driving down the road, the car makes you an instant celebrity.

Like it or not.

But what's nice, is that it's NOT a poser car, that only looks great. It actually performs better than almost everything else out there. Certainly other cars can be made faster, and even for less money. But they aren't a Viper.

Definitely look for an opportunity to take a drive in a GenII Viper. Just once.

It's NOT a car for everyone. But if it matches your dreams of a supercar (like me), then nothing else will do.

-Dean.

ViperCorp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was a prior C5 owner and loved it when they were fairly uncommon. Now, I see them everywhere. A PT Cruiser seems to be rarer than the C5's.

When I came to my senses, I dumped the C5 and bought a 2001 Venom 650R (GTS) and they two cars do not compare.

What I didn't expect is that this car makes you temporarily famous when you drive it. People gawk. Kids point at your car. Teens give you the "man that's tight!" statement. You cannot be subtle or blend-in with this car. The C5? No comparison.

As for reliability, the C5 was always at the dealer with some problem -- usually electrical or computer oriented.

Thus far in my Viper ownership, I have had no problems with this car and driving it is an adrenaline rush.

spdrcrj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all....your asking this question on a Viper site. What do you really think your answer is going to be?
grazy.gif
I posted the same question on the corvetteforum so Im not doggin ya.
smile.gif
Im looking for at a Viper for the same reasons you are. Im keeping my C4 because it was my first love affair with a car but like everyone says, Vettes are common place. Get the Viper!!!
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tougue, The Dallas Viper meet is February 8...
Check out the local club calendar here
http://www.northtexasviperclub.com/calendar.htm

Come out ( if the weather is nice ) and check out the cars...
We can show you anything you want about the car and can answer
questions for you too. We have a good club and some great members.
Dallas is a nice place to own a viper. Remember we have several
race tracks here, some of the best viper racers in the world
( Bobby Archer and Co. ) and other goodies too...

Come on out and you can be our guest. If the weather is nice
there will be at least 15 vipers... If the weather is great
we normally have around 50 vipers show... either case you
can check out a viper or 2 and have some BBQ and Beer.

need4spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
touque, you will love the viper experience,nothing like it! as for places to buy, the classified section on this site is where i've bought a few. usually they are club members and real down to earth good folks. always a few exceptions, though. also could try some of the reputable dealers who sponsor this site. probably will pay a little higher though. and DEFINITELY invest in the warranty. not saying you will need it, but if you do it sure is worth it. my 2 cents!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Touque,

I don't expect anything but a sucker's rally on the street.

A real rally won't happen until cheap oil flows again, (from Iraq, the world's 2nd largest proven reserves), so the market will just whimper for now, until a new US-friendly regime is installed in Iraq. Cheap oil floats our house-of-cards economy, and like 14 interest rate reductions in the last year and a half did nothing to keep the indexes from crashing. Its gonna take a war, (or a puppet regime), and nothing less. After that its party time again.

Short oil in a few weeks, after the deed is done, oil will retrace.

Hope you do well, and get yourself a bitchin' Viper!

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything you have mentioned about why you want a Vette or a Viper says buy the Viper. I have an 01 Z06 and a 99 Viper GTS. There is no question which car is more fun, and the better toy - it's the Viper all the way.

I like the Corvette a lot, and it is fast, but the Viper is so much more outrageous, and in my opinion, will be a very cool car 20 years from now. Not sure about the Vette, but it doesn't matter because I can't imagine keeping it that long. The Viper is the keeper.

Jim

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto what Jim said. I have an '01 Vette. It's a nice ride, no question. I drive it every day. I just bought my second Viper, and will NEVER sell either. What does that tell ya?
wink.gif

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had mine for over five years. Played golf at the Plantation Course with some of you tourists. When I picked up my clubs, the guys asked me if I was a movie star!!
PRICELESS!!!!
This is a EIGHT year old car...people still flip over it.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, ARE you a movie star?

You live on Maui, and drive a bright yellow Viper.

Who's to know?

Next time tell them Yes.
wink.gif

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3 Vipers and one Z06 (that should tell you something). I belong to the local VCA and the local Vette club. The Z06 is a very nice car and it is quick. My wife loves it and the Vette club people are a lot of fun. But their idea of cruizing is in stark contrast to the Viper folks.
I have given rides in my '96 GTS to 2 die hard Vette guys who had never been in a Viper but had read all of the press about them (the negative stuff stuck in their heads of course). They were amazed at the torque and speed and also found the interior to be much more comfortable than they expected. They were also impressed with the attention that the Viper commanded. I let one of them drive it and he was very intimidated.
I cannot imagine selling any of my Vipers and will probably by another if and when the new coupe comes out.

My advice - get a Viper and don't look back!

Bob K

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"As soon as the stock market comes back" Lutz should have his fingerprints all over a new Vette. I would wait and see what that is like. I'm expecting big things even though the General usually finds a way to disappoint.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the Stock market rallies again, reminds me of when I moved back to Houston one July.

They told us we would have an outside event once the "Heat wave" was over. I hated to tell them, its not a Heat wave its the usual temperature and it won't clear until the end of September.

Maybe this is a temporary lull and will clear. I hope so.

As far as 10 years down the road the Viper will still look unique.

I posted the picture of a 1959 Austin Healy. 44 years later it still gets attention. I think the Viper will do the same.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there done that. I have an AWESOME 02 Viper in my garage. Sitting next to an 00 Corvette conv, 6 spd. The vette can't even hold a candle to the Viper. I had 2 vettes and sold my 85, and oh, did I mention that the 00 vette is leaving my garage for good next week. I thought that the 00 vette was the ultimate, untill I drove a 97 GTS...I never looked back, Don't make the mistake that most vette owners do. By the way, a large majority of Viper owners were Vette owners, Learn from our experiences.

Best, Dave
wink.gif

c2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"As soon as the stock market recovers I'm going to be looking for a NICE sports car around the 50-60K price range."

About the time the stock market recovers those kids your thinking of having will be in their mid twenties and looking to buy an old classic Viper....

Jerry in Minnesota.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My TWO CENTS...

Ok, I am going to get thrashed here. You guys want to pay attention to his requirements:

"As soon as the stock market recovers I'm going to be looking for a NICE sports car around the 50-60K price range. I want the best bang for the buck , and I figure a 1999(Silver) - 2000(Grey) Viper ACR GTS, or a Corvette Z06."

1.Stock market recovers... uh forget about buying one of these cars if that's your time frame.

2.Best bang for the buck:
a. USUALLY that means power, and come on guys, its NOT the viper PER DOLLAR. The corvette z06 is the best bang for the buck. Stock (02 ACR) I did a 12.08@118, and the vette (02 zo6) did 12.35@116. Power per dollar, (ET times) the vette wins hands down.
b. At the 50-60k range he is going to be getting a USED older viper, WHERE AS at that same price range he can be the FIRST guy to man handle his baby, if he bought a z06 NEW for that price range (actually a new one would be at MOST 50k and that's if you couldn't negotiation for crap)
c. With the MONEY he saved buying a NEW VETTE over a used viper, he could put that extra 10k into the vette and kick the vipers BUTT !!

REMEMBER JUST BECAUSE WE BOUGHT OUR VIPERS FOR OUR OWN REASONS DOESNT ME THAT OUR REASONS QUALIFY AS THE SAME REASON SOMEONE ELSE SHOULD. BE HONEST HERE GUYS, HE WANTS BANG FOR THE BUCK.. ITS THE VETTE.. Z06.. MUST BE THE Z06, OTHERWISE DOESNT ADD UP.

OK ok OK OK.. BEFORE YOU SPAM ME.. Let me tell you WHY I BOUGHT my viper.

1. Beauty. I had a faster car before the viper, but it didn't hold a candle to the way this baby looks, nor does a z06.
2. Power/Torque. The feeling of a v10 with 450+ tq is like your own personal roller coaster ride (the z06 doesn't quite have the same feel).
3. Exclusivity. I bought the 02 Viper ACR, graphite with stripes, of which ONLY 22 were made. Name ANY vette made from 97-03 (the c5's run years) that is as RARE, and yet still able to be bought by the average consumer.

4TH AND MOST IMPORTANT REASON, WHEN ME AND MY BUDDY WHO OWNS THE Z06 (RED), GO OUT ON THE TOWN, FOR SOME REASON HIS CAR BECOMES INVISIBLE WHEN WE DRIVE AROUND TOGETHER. NO ONE POINTS AT HIS CAR, THEY DON'T RUN TO HIM TO TALK ABOUT HOW AWESOME HIS CAR IS, AND THE LADIES DON'T WAVE AT HIM... LOL.. IT KILLS HIM EVERY TIME.... PRICELESS.. (because all those activities ARE happening, but for some odd reason all directed towards my viper)

With much love and respect for both the VIPER AND THE Z06,

-Jon

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by c2000:
"As soon as the stock market recovers I'm going to be looking for a NICE sports car around the 50-60K price range."

About the time the stock market recovers those kids your thinking of having will be in their mid twenties and looking to buy an old classic Viper....

Jerry in Minnesota.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell it like it is Jerry!!!

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont listen to 2002_V_G_A up there...he's a punk with mental problems! I drove by his house and he was drawing swasticas or something on his driveway with a box of crayons! He beats his dog (the one in his avatar)! Plus, he cant spell his first name right...(I'm KIDDING!!!...I got the T&D's Jon...back to topic)

Either choice you make is a good one. As you can see by Jon's post, performance at the strip is very close. He outta know since he hits the 1/4 about every fricken weekend with a Z06 buddy of his. Their results mean more to me than any magazine cuz they are real-world times, run by real owners, on the same track side-by-side. Not hired professionals. Run those numbers against dollar bills and the Z06 would win.

Now my 2cents is like most - if its a weekend warrior and show car, get the snake. If you want or like muscle car feel with fantastic handling, get the snake. If you dont mind strangers starting up conversations at nearly every gas stop, get the snake. I had a C5 convertible for 4 years, great car, heads/cam/headers/nitrous blah blah blah...and my Viper gets my blood pumping like nothing else.

ryan 94RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say get the viper i Had a 94 rt-10 and now have a 96gts. What is next to you people dont even see.

EXAMPLE:

3 2002 zo6 buds and me go to the drags. They go all the time this is my 4th time down the strip in my car. I race all three beating 2 but loosing to my bud LEs. After the race a girl comes up and says that viper is so fast and looks awesome. BEfore i can say thanks my bud Les says " hay what about my car i won the race." she says "oh i didnt see your car i was looking at the viper". LOL

NOW THATS VIPER POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FLYIN RYAN

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dixter:
Tougue, The Dallas Viper meet is February 8...
Check out the local club calendar here
http://www.northtexasviperclub.com/calendar.htm

Come out ( if the weather is nice ) and check out the cars...
We can show you anything you want about the car and can answer
questions for you too. We have a good club and some great members.
Dallas is a nice place to own a viper. Remember we have several
race tracks here, some of the best viper racers in the world
( Bobby Archer and Co. ) and other goodies too...

Come on out and you can be our guest. If the weather is nice
there will be at least 15 vipers... If the weather is great
we normally have around 50 vipers show... either case you
can check out a viper or 2 and have some BBQ and Beer.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yesnod.gif
yesnod.gif
yesnod.gif

I totally agree with Dixter. Come to our next meeting and introduce yourself - we'd love to have ya. Dick and I drive the best color combo (red and white, of course
wink.gif
) Hope to see ya next saturday.....Kurt

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also owned a Vette and I loved that car (bought new in '94) held onto the car thru 2000. It never needed anything but oil changes washing and waxing. My wife loved the Vette and wanted a new 02 Vette.
I looked at many new vettes (color interior) and none of them made me excited about the prospect of ownership.

This is the part you'll find strange, the wife drove the Vette often and loved driving it. We bought the Viper and at first she didn't care for the car. She still has not driven the Viper after a year of ownership and will not drive it. She says the Viper is to fast and it scares her. She tells me it is far better looking than any Vette but can't understand why I would buy a car with no roll up windows!

Here is something I never had happen in my Vette, one evening my wife and I went for a drive in the Viper out to get a bite. While driving down the interstate a black suburban pulled along side of us, the passenger side window rolled down and one of the passengers started filming the Viper with a cam corder. Inside the suburban there were about 6 people "glued" to the windows as they passed us filming. People never were interested in the Vette but they are crazy about the Viper.

I like to watch kids at car shows when they walk up to the Viper with their parents. You can see the kids going crazy through their eyes and the parents holding the kids back telling them not to touch the Viper.
I would walk up to the kids and ask them if they wanted to sit in the car and have their picture made, the kids would virtually expolde with excitement. I think sharing the Viper in situations like that brings me more pleasure than any other aspect of Viper Ownership.

I know this post didn't contain anything about performance differences but that's been covered throughly, I thought I'd give you a different view.

HOTRODJOHN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As an owner of a 99 GTS and a 02 Z06 my opinion is this:
Performance: stock v. stock the 02 Z06 is just as fast in the quarter, the Viper will walk away past about 140, Z06 is easier to handle on a road course, more neutral handling. Z06 sounds a lot better with that deep V8 tone vs. the 6 cylinder sound of the Viper.
Ride and Comfort: hands down Z06 which is easily a daily driver, the Viper will wear you out on a long trip, Viper not as roomy and rougher riding.
Looks: hands down VIPER which is the best looking car you can buy in my opinion, Z06's are a dime a dozen and the Viper is rarely seen prowling the streets.
OVERALL, if your going to drive weekends only I would say the VIPER because it is so much more exclusive of a car plus it will probably hold its value as they only made so many of the GenIIs. Either way, you cant go wrong....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte