Viper 2 WRX 0

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I trashed another WRX this morning about 5:30am. The guy was waiting for the to make a left turn on the (mostly) deserted highway. When I pulled up behind him (single lane turn), he revved up and as soon as the light changed he took off fast.

Since it was about 28degrees, and my car had only been driven a couple of blocks, I made the turn fairly conservatively, but then I ran up to 90mph
and past the dude.

We both got caught at a red light (side-by-side this time). He was revving up and lookin at me hard, so since we had about 2 miles of empty four-lane road in front of us, we both took off on the green.

He beat me out of the hole by about 1/2 a car, but as soon as I got my wheelspin down, I nailed it and launched by this guy so quick, even I couldn't believe it.

I basically jumped 3 cars lengths ahead of him in a split second. From then on, all I saw was disappearing headlights, until he blew past me as I was waiting for a left-turn arrow to turn green.

My guess is that he has a new respect for old men in Vipers. :headbang:

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really like the WRX. I think it is a great value for the performance. I however, would never pull up strong on a snake with it. He must have felt the need to be humiliated or something.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like the WRX. I think it is a great value for the performance. I however, would never pull up strong on a snake with it. He must have felt the need to be humiliated or something.

I agree they are nice cars but in no way would I pull ip to any make/year viper in one.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couple of weeks ago a Scubie Rex (regular WRX but with fake STi badge) tried to do a "ricer-fly-by" on me but I had seen him weaving through traffic in my rear view and saw him coming so I held in second gear at about 3,500 rpm. When he got next to me I floored it and pasted him so bad it made my day (and this was with him taking a big run so he had a 20+ mph advantage or so. Gave each other the thumbs up and off to work. Fun stuff.

Now I have a kid at work who has a fast Eagle Talon. That will be the next baby seal I put the club to.

Ghetto2315

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was it an 03+ STi?

If it wasn't, you sure would have no problem beating the entry level WRX.

I agree for the price you can't beat the STi (like-wise with the Mitsu Evo). The AWD is definetly a plus

They sure as hell give Vette's a hard time...

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I raced a slightly modded STI twice won both times; even beat it out of the whole once. That was when I was BONE stock. I have it on video. Only reason I didn't post it here is that I thought this site doesn't like street racing (did it in a very safe place no cars around accept the ones watching). If someone has somewhere I can host it I'll post it. :)

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is it with WRX guys. The only ricer that I've EVER had try me was a WRX driver. Made quick work of him.

That’s weird EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE tries to race me. From minivans to mustangs; especialy anything with fart can. I try not to make a habbit of street racing....but every once in a while you just can't stop yourself. :)

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Know what you mean about avoiding the street racing. I've only opened it up 3 or 4 times against another car(and that was for a short dash). The WRX was the only ricer I've encountered. Most ricers usually just want to get up close and rev their engines a few times. I've found a lot of F bodies who want to run, however.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think it has to do with folks seeing how well they can “keep up” even if they know from the start that they’re toast. It’s bragging rights with your fellow ricers just to say you “kept up” for a certain period.

Milksnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We have a GTS, SRT-10, Turbo Porsche and Subaru STI. The STI will pull equally with the Vipers up to 70 miles an hour. Incredible car!!!!!!!! After 70 mph - the Viper wins hands-down!!!!!!!!!!! (unless road conditions are not perfect!)

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have a GTS, SRT-10, Turbo Porsche and Subaru STI. The STI will pull equally with the Vipers up to 70 miles an hour. Incredible car!!!!!!!! After 70 mph - the Viper wins hands-down!!!!!!!!!!! (unless road conditions are not perfect!)

:shocked:

Learning how to drive the Vipers will help you out considerably. I have several friends with modded STI's they can hang to the middle of first gear, after that its all over.

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of driving a stock 02 WRX last friday night. Needless to say, I was not AT ALL impressed with its performance. A big let down to say the least. Very nice/tight feeling car. However, performance was that of a honda civic.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Now I have a kid at work who has a fast Eagle Talon. That will be the next baby seal I put the club to. "

"I think it has to do with folks seeing how well they can “keep up” even if they know from the start that they’re toast."

One must always be careful of what they consider to be 'toast.' Last summer, an old '95 AWD Eagle Talon pulled up along side me and wanted to go. I ignored him for quite a while as I'm not real excited about running ******* public highways in town. We were on a 4-lane road and traffic thinned some. Finally temptation got the best of me.... I dropped to 3rd at about 60. We both went at the same time. That old Talon stuck right there to 90 when I quit because of traffic coming up. His car sounded like it was going to break, but the Talon never gave ground to me. He then followed me several miles further and we came to a light. There was no traffic in front so we went again. We went from a rolling start at about 20. --Through 3 gears...up to 95 or so..I gained not an inch. Again,traffic became an issue and that was it. I pulled over in a parking lot as did he. Young guy with stock engine internals and a huge turbo. He had run 11.8s with this car and had the slips to prove it. I'm sure I would have reeled him in after 100 or so, but I wouldn't do that except on open road with no traffic. His Mich plate read DIE V8. Just goes to show you can never be real sure what the other guys got under the hood.

Steve

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got a friend that runs 9.4 @ 154 in the quarter mile in his WRX. There are a few out there that can lay the smack down.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought an 05 STI.

It's no Viper, but it's a lot of fun to drive. It's a heck of a lot faster than my Viper on the dirt roads around my house, and it's got room in it to take the kids to school in the morning. They love it when I slide sideways around the corners, spraying dirt and gravel behind me. It's the best performance you can get for around $32k.

My Viper is still in the shop getting the new Quaife dif. If I didn't have the STI to have fun with, I'd be going nuts.

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You beat a car with 200 fewer HP and 6 less cylinders. Great accomplishment.

Maybe you can catch some minivans around 4:30 pm when soccer practice lets out. Sure they might get a jump with their FWD but after 120 they're all yours.

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it has to do with folks seeing how well they can “keep up” even if they know from the start that they’re toast. It’s bragging rights with your fellow ricers just to say you “kept up” for a certain period.

I agree. The Viper has become a "benchmark" for many do-it-yourself tuners (and 600cc streetbikes). Several stock looking cars that start with 200 fewer HP have "educated" me. I give em what they want and we both have some fun!

OP
OP
R

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You beat a car with 200 fewer HP and 6 less cylinders. Great accomplishment.

Maybe you can catch some minivans around 4:30 pm when soccer practice lets out. Sure they might get a jump with their FWD but after 120 they're all yours.

hirowahah,

Based upon your simple-minded post, there would be no need to have boxing matches. You would just weigh the fighters and have them lift weights. The one who was bigger and stronger would automatically "win" the fight.

So what have you beaten lately? As many of the posters have pointed out, there are some wickedly fast STis out there.

As many Viper owner's point out lack of HP or torque is not the problem. The problem is applying that power with just the right finesse. Given the weather and the cold runflats, the AWD WRX STi, definitely had several things going in its favor.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watch out though, there are a few WRXs out there that will waste us.
So true, along with Eclipses and Talons, but check this out. I ran my GenII on the dyno last night. The dyno shop is a Subaru tuner. I spun 418/475 on their dyno dynamics machine so I asked them what their hot rod STi spins. Answer was 440 awhp - BUT - owner admitted that with 100 octane fuel and 27 psi of boost. When asked what they could do on 91 octane with maybe 18-20 pounds of boost and the answer was 320 awhp. That is a HUGE difference. So if you get called out by a monster 4-cylinder, just remember the rules = pump gas and street tires and the Viper is undeatable.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"So if you get called out by a monster 4-cylinder, just remember the rules = pump gas and street tires and the Viper is undeatable. "

The 4 cylinder '95 Talon that stuck with me to 95MPH or so had $2200 in mods, was on street tires, and had pump gas in his car.

Steve

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"So if you get called out by a monster 4-cylinder, just remember the rules = pump gas and street tires and the Viper is undeatable. "

The 4 cylinder '95 Talon that stuck with me to 95MPH or so had $2200 in mods, was on street tires, and had pump gas in his car.

Steve

Im sure he lied to you no way $2200 will allow that thing to hang with even a gen 1 viper.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fastest Talon is the TSi AWD and it only has 210 bhp and 165 tq from a 2.0 DOHC, which means it will be lucky to have 180hp and 140 tq at the wheels, now assuming that the one he raced was the TSi AWD and now an Esi which has 140 bhp and about 110 hp to the wheels, I think it would need alot more then $2200 to match a viper.

BTW that 210 Bhp Tsi is with a factory turbo and weighs in at 3125 Lbs.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Watch out though, there are a few WRXs out there that will waste us.

So if you get called out by a monster 4-cylinder, just remember the rules = pump gas and street tires and the Viper is undeatable.

Not so much. Perhaps that one car couldn't make power with pump gas but don't be so sure that is the case for all WRXs. My friend is eeeeeeeasily in the 9s with street tires. Are there any vipers that can do that? He also makes packages that will bring a WRX well into the 10s with street tires on pump gas.

Easystreet Motorsports
Notice all the race cars have been painted to match my final edition? No kidding
Currently, my friend is working on a new special edition Sti that boasts 425 hp and will be available through Subaru dealers nation wide.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fastest Talon is the TSi AWD and it only has 210 bhp and 165 tq from a 2.0 DOHC, which means it will be lucky to have 180hp and 140 tq at the wheels, now assuming that the one he raced was the TSi AWD and now an Esi which has 140 bhp and about 110 hp to the wheels, I think it would need alot more then $2200 to match a viper.

BTW that 210 Bhp Tsi is with a factory turbo and weighs in at 3125 Lbs.

I am wrong on a couple of counts. While I think this car is sold, I remembered he had a website. I finally found it. The car was '97 TSi AWD and from the mods listed there is no way it could only have cost $2200. Not sure now where the $ number came from (could be an age factor working here). He states 11.918 at 113.03 on 93 octane as his best run. The car had 111K miles on it with a re-built motor as listed below.

Several of our MCVO club were in the big St. Ignace car show in late June of last year(our run in took place in May I think). I saw this guy there. He came over to talk, was complimentary of our cars, and was quite a nice guy. He had just bought a 951 Porsche and was trying to sell the Talon.

I guess my last comment from earlier in the thread still rings true. You just never know who is toast and who isn't. Of course when all was said and done...he drove the Talon home and I drove the king of beasts home.

Here's what his page said about his car mods. I have no idea if some of this was done before he bought it. I think he was running 27 or 28 pounds of boost when we had our little soire'

Dejon 'Race' Front Mounted Intercooler
(dimensions: 28" x 10.5" x 3")
TiAL BOV
Turbo / Exhaust
Garrett GT30 56-1 turbo
Ported stock manifold & O2 housing
ATR 3" O2-back exhaust piping
Thermal R&D resonator & tip
Fuel
Supra Twin Turbo fuel pump
Denso 720cc injectors (68.6 lb/hour)
BR/SX on-rail fuel pressure regulator
Supra Twin Turbo fuel pump
Stock 6-bolt block & stock head
Stock rods & stock 8.5:1 pistons
Crower springs & titanium retainers
HKS 264/272 cams
Fidanza flywheel
ACT 2600# clutch, full face disc
Welded center differential
Electronics
DSMLink modified ECU
APEXi AVC-D boost controller
Autometer Fuel Level gauge
AEM UEGO Wideband O2 gauge
SPA dual digital gauges:
Boost Pressure, Exhaust Gas Temperature
Battery Voltage, Coolant Temperature
Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure
Defi Sport V.S.D. (heads up display)
Intercooler Sprayer
ShurFlo 100psi pump
NAPA pressure switch
Aquamist accumulator, solenoid, nozzles
RRE front upper, front lower, & rear strut bars
Tokico Illumina adjustable struts
Tokico drop springs, 1.75"

Steve

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not so much. Perhaps that one car couldn't make power with pump gas but don't be so sure that is the case for all WRXs. My friend is eeeeeeeasily in the 9s with street tires.
Well the street tire comments are more for Supras and Hondas than the all-wheel-drive Scubies and DSMs, but given that John Shepard who has the fastest stock configuration DSM needs sticky tires and two bar of boost to consistently run 9.80s on a prepped track I have a hard time believing your bud's Scubie runs 9s at all, let alone on hard street tires,and for sure not on 91 octane fuel. Please don't think I am some sort of Internet shyte talker. I hope your guy dips in to the 8s soon, I just don't believe it. Any links to stories about his car? It sounds awesome. I'd be real intersting in learning about it. Sorry to everyone for helping this GenIII post to go astray.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not so much. Perhaps that one car couldn't make power with pump gas but don't be so sure that is the case for all WRXs. My friend is eeeeeeeasily in the 9s with street tires.
Well the street tire comments are more for Supras and Hondas than the all-wheel-drive Scubies and DSMs, but given that John Shepard who has the fastest stock configuration DSM needs sticky tires and two bar of boost to consistently run 9.80s on a prepped track I have a hard time believing your bud's Scubie runs 9s at all, let alone on hard street tires,and for sure not on 91 octane fuel. Please don't think I am some sort of Internet shyte talker. I hope your guy dips in to the 8s soon, I just don't believe it. Any links to stories about his car? It sounds awesome. I'd be real intersting in learning about it. Sorry to everyone for helping this GenIII post to go astray.

Perhaps you missed the link I provided in my above post. Go to www.easystreetmotorsports.com . I never claimed he was running in the mid 150s in the quarter in 9.4 seconds on pump gas. I said he could do that on street tires. I said he puts together packages which run 10s on pump gas and street tires.
You must be registered for see images

As for running 8's, he might skip over that and go dierectly to the 7's with his new STi in the works. That one won't be street legal though.

Ummm and yes, he is friends with John Shepard and has beaten him at the track. Shepard is also running faster than 9.8

And yes, those are WRXs all painted "viper red" with "final edition" stripes. Any idea who gave him that idea?