Viper and Active handling

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a lot of you guys are pretty set in your ways with not wanting the Viper to have active handling and traction control but if this would save a few lives and like the Vette you were able to turn it off what is the harm?

In light of the Mullholland Dr accident I am thinking it may not be that bad of an idea. I have it in the Z06 and usually put it in Competition mode when I am driving it hard. It turns off traction control and limits the amount of intervention of the active handling which has actually saved my butt once or twice. Plus if you want full control you just turn it off and now it is just like the Viper, ALL driver.

Don''t shoot me but it just seems like the best of both worlds to me. There for new drivers and after you do a few track days and have some time behind the wheel you can still turn it off and experience the snake at its finest. :dunno:

What is everybodies thoughts?

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh no! not again :bdh:

Give it some time and the government will mandate them.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it just seems like the best of both worlds to me.

We already have the best of both worlds -

if you want a terrific sportscar with TC and AH you can buy a Vette.

If you want a terrific sportscar without TC and AH buy a Viper.

THAT is truly the best of both worlds. It's called FREEDOM as in free to choose to be free of the expense and maintenance of intrusive nanny technologies. The other is called GOVERNMENT MANDATE as in, the government knows what is best for you and taking our freedom away.

Last edited:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank, we buy the VIPER cus it's a RAWBEAST (our plate). That's the way we'd like it to stay. We have the VETTE (no offense, Chuck98, but vet is a veteran, lol) if we choose less-driver-involvement/less-raw/more-refined. ~juli

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why discuss something the government is actively working on forcing implementation of. If you are against it write your congressman or NHTSA. No one here can stop government's progress in controlling our lives [hint of sarcasm].

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
F:quack:-No

...i mean No Thanks:)

Besides, there is thousands of more corvette accidents per year than viper accidents.
(i know that is a decieving statistic)

+1 on what chuck said:2tu:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In fact, you cant turn it OFF permanently.

It'll switch ON automatically if the computer sees to much "out of control".

Nevertheless, physics cannot be beaten by any computer.

It will become mandatory soon .....:crazy2:
Robert Bosch GmbH - Automotive Equipment

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why discuss something the government is actively working on forcing implementation of. If you are against it write your congressman or NHTSA. No one here can stop government's progress in controlling our lives [hint of sarcasm].

Yes! And include a suggestion for the Feds to define a sportscar class because the idea that a sportscar should meet the same safety and environmental requirements as a minivan is ridiculous.

Google "congress email addresses" find your congressman and contact them...frequently.

MikeJulie, good point on the Vet clarification. Will try to remember.

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you asked, here it is. TC/ESC/AH systems are very good (the best of them, anyway) IF they are used as intended, i.e. as a last ditch safety net. Even then they can and do fail, and THEY CANNOT ALTER THE LAWS OF PHYSICS - make a mistake big enough (less than you might think!) and all these devices in the world will not save you.

However, the fact is that most drivers cannot/will not/do not use these aids that way, and some will keep blindly pushing further and further, secure (falsely) in their belief that the electronics will bail them out, until they push past the limits and learn (too late!) that they are dead wrong. Ask some of those on the Vette and Porsche boards about that - those of them still around to discuss the matter.

If you still feel you MUST rely on these computerized nannies, please remember this: anytime that AH light comes on, it means YOU SCREWED UP!. How badly you screwed up, you will not know, until and unless you finally overwhelm the thing (yes, you can!), and experience that instant of blinding clarity known as an "Oh, S***! Moment", i.e. the sudden discovery that you have simultaneously run out of traction, asphalt and ideas.

I have seen and heard of enough examples of this sort of thing to believe that, by encouraging some drivers to cavalierly exceed their personal limits, ( and sometimes, even the limits of a pretty good car), these things often end up doing at least as much (if not more) harm as good. They are no substitute for the proper use of the best car control there is - the one located between the driver's ears!

These things have their place, especially in Vans, SUV's and other such vehicles, driven by those who have neither the interest nor the ability to develop the skills needed to control them properly at normal road speeds. In a high-performance sports car, they are simply an inducer of false confidence which encourages unnecessary risk-taking.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
adds cost
adds weight
adds complexity to the car/wiring (i assume)

ALL of which everyone on here is whining about. like chuck said, buy a vette if you want that stuff.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I hear "active handling", I think about the awesome Williams F1 cars that were kicking McClaren's butts with their hydraulic syspension.

This would not be nanny control, but a high performance version of what is available technology-wise and would be just untouchable. Think of a tire that doesn't lose contact with the road after hitting a bump or curb apex on a race track. Think of a suspension that could be pre-adjusted for each corner of the track. You could even have a drag race program with different levels of weight transfer. You could lift the Viper to get over speed bumps and driveways, lower it for handling performance and top speed. It could even handle brake dive, etc. They were doing this in a super lightweight package over 15 years ago, can you imagine what could be accomplished with todays technology?

To me, that is Active Handling. What's on GM and other cars with AH really should be called Active Control.

In my past experience with GM products, I don't think the nanny control is ever completely turned off, even when you think you've turned it off.

Cheers,
George

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think all drivers of Vipers should wear helmets, even when not racing. They are proven to protect your head, and you have the option to take them off, but I think everyone should wear one at all times.

As for traction control and active handling, I find both of those annoying in my Z06. Especially since they default to 'on' each time I get in the car. Plus, it is hard to see the button when I'm wearing my helmet on the way to work.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YOU GO DUDE!!!!

This is my idea of Nancy options on the Viper
Attached Thumbnails

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a lot of you guys are pretty set in your ways with not wanting the Viper to have active handling and traction control but if this would save a few lives and like the Vette you were able to turn it off what is the harm?

You go. NOW!:nono:

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think all drivers of Vipers should wear helmets, even when not racing. They are proven to protect your head, and you have the option to take them off, but I think everyone should wear one at all times.
QUOTE]

So, when you take one of your cars out for a weekend cruise, is your helmet always on?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps this is the best way for me to explain how I look at the Viper.

I used to ride horses.

You had your basic 2 type - rock solid unflappable mounts that would carry you safely over fences, through fireworks, over the river, etc. You could show them and win some ribbons. We called them "push button". Some folks preferred getting on a well mannered, easy going horse and doing reasonably well - but consistently.

And then there was the other type - the high strung performer. Usually - they were gorgeous, but a little unpredictable. They required your attention. They required WORK to get their best performance out of them. You didn't get to take anything for granted. But - the result could be SPECTACULAR. You couldn't always just take them out for a steady trail ride - or if you did - you still had to be on your toes.

But- with this high strung horse - the bond was tighter. And the sense of satisfaction was greater. You were the better rider if you could get the most out of these types of horses. And lets face it - the other riders looked up to you.

The Viper is my current high strung horse. I don't want a push button horse - if I did - I'd have bought a Vette. It does things about 85% - 90% as well as the Viper - but I want that last 10%.

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score

As for traction control and active handling, I find both of those annoying in my Z06. Especially since they default to 'on' each time I get in the car. Plus, it is hard to see the button when I'm wearing my helmet on the way to work.

HAHA!!! :D

Isn't stability control mandated to be in all new cars by 2012 anyway.........