VIPER BLUE or MONTEGO BLUE which is correct for a 1997 Blue W/ White Paint Code

bln-gts

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've got 2 a 1996 and a 1997 both GTS's Blue W/ White stripes..I've decided to repaint the botoms of the bumpers and exhaust covers so I ordered paint code B9638 Viper Blue Pearl Met. After painting everything the paint was not even close to matching..when I looked in the Dupont color chip book the chip didn't match my cars..My paint store recommended Lt. Montego Blue Pearl Met. code B9452..So I repainted the parts Montego Blue which seems to match pretty good so what is the correct color ?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a quick search came up with this

Code SBE- Viper GTS Blue
P.C. - 4864082

Bobz,
The above information is off of a bottle of Mopar touch up paint
for a 96-97 Vipe GTS.
I hope this is what you were looking for.
Good luck,

OP
OP
B

bln-gts

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I understand that they are supposed to be the PBE color but it is not even close to either of my cars (BOTH FACTORY PAINT) and the Montego Blue PCH is a perfect match..I'm wondering if the Dupont color chip book is wrong or whats going on..Does anyone even know what the PCH was used on, best I can find out is that is was the color used on the 96' Pace Truck which I thought was the same color as the Viper

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1997 Service Manual has a chart listing two exterior colors of "aftermarket paint repair products" on page 23-3:

Below are for "Viper GTS Blue P.C."

CHRY Code* = SBE
PPG = 19282
BASF = 26100
DuPONT = B9638
S-W ACME M-S = 51537
AKZO Nobel Sikkens = CHA96:SBE

*Herberts Standox and Spies Hecker use the Chrysler paint codeas listed on the Body Code Plate.

The only other exterior color noted is "Viper Red C.C."
CHRY Code = LRN*
PPG = 7384
BASF = 22122
DuPONT = B9247
S-W ACME M-S = 45963
AKZO Nobel Sikkens = CHA92:LRN

I have no way of knowing if there were updates that would have identified different paint codes.

The service book details nothing about blue with white stripes.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AKZO Nobel Sikkens is the original paint manufacturer and matches exactly. I had replacement side sills done twice, once Dupont then PPG and both weren't close. Switched to Sikkens and it was perfect.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read that the front fascia and rear bumpers were painted with slightly different paint. Were they Sikkens as well? I also remember a post where the Wizard said that 3 different blues were used throughout the run. Maybe he was referring to the body, fascia and bumper differences??

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Straight from ASC, the company that painted all of the GENII body panels, (don't know about GENI), AKZO Nobel was the only brand of paint used for the entire car with the exception of (as I remember) 1998 where they tried PPG for a while but reverted to AKZO Nobel. Sikkens is the retail brand of AKZO Nobel.

Perhaps they used a flex agent on the front and rear fascias though...

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I had my GTS the shop could not get a match in (I think) PPG and switched to Sikkens. Then it matched. Apparently it had something to do with the metallic flake.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96