Viper Centerpieces.

G

Gotvenom 08

Seeing that the centerpieces were a hit at the 2008 Illinois winterfest party.Alex and I were on a mission to see if we could raise the bar higher even higher for this years 15th anniversary party.
Now the Illinois club is the oldest of the regions,and we decided to make a large centerpiece in the shape of the Illinois logo.
Alex and I were brain storming this idea for a while,size, thickness of material,attention to detail etc....
So I cut out a prototype on the waterjet.
Here are the 2 sizes.The one on the left is the first cut out.It was to small.Alex likes things to be bold and over size.So we increased the size about 3 inches larger so over all height was approx,15 inches tall.
You must be registered for see images attach

A few pics of snakes being cut out.

Okay overall size was accepted, and I ordered material.Now we needed the thickness of the state to be decided on.It is 1/4 inch thick.
Here is a pic of cut out states before painting and finishing.

Now for the bases.The bases are aluminum, radiused edges with the founding date of when the club was established,also the 15th anniversary lettering.These are approx,8"x4"x3/4.

Testors paint was put in etching,and then palm sanded for that satin finish.The easy part was done.

The 2 holes in base are 10-32 tapped,these are for mounting the snake to the base.In this pics you can see the application.

Okay bases are done,I decided to tackle the next item which is the state.A blue border was put around the entire state outline and the edges were also painted blue.I found that the best way to paint this was with testors paint pens.You could control the flow and delivery of paint so much easier than with a brush and free handing.

Notice the blue and black on center of state.This is when the snake is overlayed on the state.The cut outs(lettering) of the snake will be on those specific colors.The white has yet to be applied.As the step by step process is covered it will be apparent what I mean.
The states were also drilled and tapped with 2 6-32 holes so I could mount the snake to it when it is in the upright position.
As shown in this pic,on the red bar, the button head screws are shown.

This pic,( see above) is the first one that was painted.I tryed using a rattle can.But as you can see,not alot of detail and no control with the paint.But I did have a general idea how I was going to paint these snakes.
So I decided on getting an air brush.I have never used one or even seen one.So this was going to be a challenge for sure.Did some reading on the interent on it.And I was ready.:)Learning along the way is an understatement.
Decided to use a latex paint as ease of cleaning was a major concern.Bought all the colors at a paint store,and I was off to the races.
The next few pics will show a few steps of that process.

I made templates for the scales and head and tale.Used an exacto knife to cut out each scale and other shapes ( can you say major hand cramps):)that were needed.

And the finished snake.

All the finished pieces.

And we decided to make santa hats for them , to really give them the holiday spirit!

This was a quick over view of the project.There was alot of work and planning and deciding the best way to go about it as I was finishing them.A lot of trial and error.Over all I am pleased with the end result and this by far was my biggest challenge to date.And to top it all off, the centerpiece was put on a revolving turn table.So each table had a revolving snake to look at all while the party was in progress.I decided to do that because the back of it was not finished and it gave every one a view of the good side.
On a side note when I ran the turn table idea past Alex,he thought it was over the top,he loved the idea.I figure if you are going to do it.Do it in style.
This last pic is unique.All the eyes looking at you.One of my favorites.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW!
Looks absolutely fantastic!
Unfortunately, I did not win it...

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude...you are the man! Your work always looks fantastic. I realize that you guys use the lower case 'i' in your logo, but the date on the plate has 'ApriL 12, 1994'. Why use the capital 'L' in April?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dude...you are the man! Your work always looks fantastic. I realize that you guys use the lower case 'i' in your logo, but the date on the plate has 'ApriL 12, 1994'. Why use the capital 'L' in April?

The whole IL VCA is obviously going to L.

JonB
IL VCA Sponsor
IL VCA Assoc member
also going to L faster than I will admit

OP
OP
G

Gotvenom 08

SSSHHHHHHHHHHH you weren't suppose to see that....

Reasons for the mishap.

1)L is for loser like me :D
2)Quality control dept.(me) missed it and I fired myself too
3)Unique trademark to make it worth millions in a few years!
4)Flunked grade school spelling.

Believe me, it bothered me.But I didn't see it till after I machined all the pieces.But I wasn't going to remake all the pieces for one Letter.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's no big deal. They look awesome...I just thought that there might be some hidden meaning...sorry for pointing it out. You can make them for our club anytime...

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim is the man with these things. He's one of the group who contributes to the club extensively.

I didn't win won either, but I got one... It's good to be prez. ;.)

OP
OP
G

Gotvenom 08

Man! I am speachless!omg:

That is just amazing work you do!:omg:

NICE JOB!:2tu:

Robert

Thanks Robert
And if you attend that Viper Invades Niagra trip.Look me up,I am bringing a few trinkets to give away.Don't know what I will come up with yet.We will see.

Tim

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy BADASP~!!!!! AMAZING work...I saw a previous thread on this, but seeing HOW much work you put into it shown here is just iL-luminating!!!!! :) ~juli

Reaction score
Tim, as always incredible work! :headbang: I get to see a lot of your work and I'm always amazed.... at how much sleep you must go without...:lmao:

Great work buddy your region is very lucky to have you:2tu:

Angela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim is a great guy, and his work on these centerpeices was fabulous.:2tu:
You can tell alot of time and effort were put into them.
The santa hats were a nice touch. :santa4:
I wish I would have won one, too!

Angela

OP
OP
G

Gotvenom 08

Holy BADASP~!!!!! AMAZING work...I saw a previous thread on this, but seeing HOW much work you put into it shown here is just iL-luminating!!!!! :) ~juli

i won one of those at the party! love it!

Tim, as always incredible work! :headbang: I get to see a lot of your work and I'm always amazed.... at how much sleep you must go without...:lmao:

Great work buddy your region is very lucky to have you:2tu:

Tim is a great guy, and his work on these centerpeices was fabulous.:2tu:
You can tell alot of time and effort were put into them.
The santa hats were a nice touch. :santa4:
I wish I would have won one, too!

Angela

Thanks for the kind words.

Oh and Mark J.I get plenty of sleep.I just go to bed early..:)