VIPER DAYS....AIR BAG DISCONNECT????

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I would like to disconnect my driver air bag and turn off the passenger one while at Viper Days events. Why - you ask, because the Teamtech harnesses should keep me in and I don't want a $2,000 repair bill if I go off the track and they deploy. Any thoughts on the subject? How do you go about disconnecting the drivers side?

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your safety is not worth $2K? Going off track is not going to set off your air bags. If you set off your air bags then you must have hit something hard enough that you'd want the air bags for protection anyways. Skip always stresses safety above everything so why would you disable a valuable safety feature. The best upgrade you could do before you jump to Stop Techs & Hoosiers is to get as much seat time as possible.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The airbags won't even come close to you if you are securely in your seat using 5 or 6 points. They don't really provide safety protection if you are wearing harnesses.

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
HOGDEALER, I'm with you... disconnect them if you can. My only concern would be that you remember to reconnect them before driving on the street.

I believe there was one case a few years ago where a Viper went off course and the bags deployed when the car caught a little air. Anyone else remember this??

OP
OP
H

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is really the point. If the air bag will not provide me with any additional protection, as pointed out by Janni. And if the bags deploy when I catch a little air going off track (rumor has they will). then why waste the $2,000. It really is not even so much the money as the time it will take to have the air bags repacked. If you drive 2500 miles to attend a Viper Days event and they bag deploys you done for the weekend with only a long drive to think about.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HOGDEALER, I'm with you... disconnect them if you can. My only concern would be that you remember to reconnect them before driving on the street.

I believe there was one case a few years ago where a Viper went off course and the bags deployed when the car caught a little air. Anyone else remember this??

That was RockyTop at Road Atlanta. Eventually he finagled the bag out of view so he could see the wall he hit.

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last thing I'd ever want to do is disagree with Janni because I always respect her opinions. However, on this issue I must.

If you drive a street car and have air bags, in my opinion, they should stay connected. Obviously, if you don't have a passenger, you can turn that one off. The reason in my mind is that they are designed for the three point shoulder belt, which should supposedly keep you in place. Is the 5 or 6 point harness better? Absolutely! But without a true race seat (and I don't mean a Sparco), you will still move about the cockpit significantly - especially if you are not wearing a head restraint device - which most of you in street cars don't use. If the air bag goes off and you didn't end up needing it, you still would have hit something that caused significant damage to your car and the air bag wouldn't be your biggest financial concern. (Hood alone lists at 15K)

I watched the video of an accident that Sam Kelly and Sean Roe survived at Kershaw in SC. I saw the airbags go off and never heard whether they were an important safety factor or not, but judging by the violence that the video showed, I sure would have wanted to have them.

You have to make your own decision, but I'm thinking that the air bag is easier to replace than you are.

Be safe.

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Chuck,

Since you ask, I'll be happy to tell you, but my point really is that a "race" seat like a Kirkey, Sparco, Racetech, Courbeau etc., is likely to be a compromise if it isn't fitted to you specifically and will allow for significant movement especially during an accident.

At the beginning of last year I installed a custom seat made by Randy Lajoie. Randy is a two-time past Champion and still currently drives in NASCAR's Busch series.

You make a trip his race shop in Charlotte where you get fitted in a device much like a race cockpit. They adjust the steering wheel position, pedals and then set the angle of the seat. After that they move the shoulder supports, rib cage protectors and seat width. When your eyes bulge they back off a quarter turn.

The seat has very little padding but is extremely comfortable. I can feel every bit of information that the car has to give without having to brace myself by gripping the steeering wheel or using my legs. With a proper harness and Hans Device I feel completely secure.

I purchased Jim McCann's car last year and have run with it at Willow Springs, Button Willow and Phoenix. It is an awesome car, but I ordered a Lajoie seat and it just arrived Monday, so I have been using the Sparco seat that was in the car. It is a huge difference and leaves me feeling much more tired, and distracted while I try to stay put in the car. I can't wait to put the new seat in.

There are many custom seat manufacturers that range from Formula cars to NASCAR. One other that I can think of besides Lajoie is Butler.

www.joieofseat.com www.butlerbuilt.net

For a dedicated race car these seats do make sense. They're safer and give you more accurate information to work with as a driver. For a street/track car with more than one person driving the other seats are all fine choices. But there will be more movement which was my original point.

2002graphiteviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hog -

The fuse pannel under the steering wheel - two fuses - it is clearly marked... Pull 'em out... The only issue - from what I can tell - is that the Air Bag light stays on in the dash - easy $50 solution that was discussed on the forum yesterday...