VIPER DAYS COMES TO SEBRING

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
February 1, 2005

VIPER DAYS AND THE VRL COME TO FLA.

Hello Viper Friends! I’m writing because something really exciting and noteworthy is about to happen. Viper Days High Speed Driving School, the Viper Racing League and the Neon racing League are coming to Sebring, the weekend of April 29th & 30th & May 1st, 2005. This is the first time that Viper Days has returned to Florida in over 3 years. Your attendance will be well worth the trip.

For those of you who may not be familiar with the format of the weekend, here’s how it happens. There are two elements within Viper Days. First, there’s the High Speed Driving School and Michelin Challenge Series. This is the division in which most of you would drive. It is a driving school event and not racing! The Michelin Challenge Series utilizes your fastest lap time to participate in a class, based on what modifications you have made to your car. Timing is used for gridding purposes only as the faster cars are gridded up front and the slower cars in the rear. The minimizes passing on the track and allows you to have quality track time to learn your Viper!. Within the Challenge Series there are three run groups to keep everyone within their appropriate experience level. The green run group is for rookies; the blue group is for intermediates and the white group is for more experienced drivers. Each group gets 4 hours of on-track time, plus several hours of classroom instruction and discussion each weekend (believe me, you’ll drive as much as you can and there is no limit on how fast you can go). If you’re in the green (beginner’s group) you can have an instructor go IN THE CAR with you, to help bring you up to speed, before you test yours or the car’s limits.

The other element within Viper Days is the Viper Racing League and Neon Racing League. This is wheel to wheel racing for those who have proven themselves in the Challenge Series and want to compete at the next level. All cars are purpose built race cars with cages, fire suppression and fuel cells. Dodge offers contingency money at the end of the year for the Points Leaders in the GT-C class and both classes in the NRL. Last year, Russ Oasis and I both won a few dollars and had a bunch of fun doing it. The Viper Racing League is often considered to be the farm team for the SCCA Pro Series (SCCA World Challenge) and quite a few of our drivers have either gone to that series or run in both the VRL and World Challenge series. The SCCA World Challenge races are broadcast on the Speed Channel, Sundays. Mike and Jim McCann, Bob Woodhouse, Bobby Archer, Sonny Whelen, Rob Foster, and Stan Wilson are just a few of the racers who have either jumped pro from the Viper Racing League or race in both series. By the way, this is the series that Tommy Archer took first place in, last year.

When you come to a Viper Days event, you get Vipered to the max. You’ll get a commemorative polo shirt, classroom and in car instruction and on track two hours on Saturday, also included is a banquet with the entire group on Saturday night and then more driving and instruction all day Sunday. The cost for the event is a VERY reasonable $675. If you’re a current paid member of the Central & North Fla. Club, Viper Days will give you a first time discount of $150 otherwise you will get a $50 discount for coming back! In addition to that, Elizabeth Lashinsky has agreed that the Central & North Florida club will supplement the fee with ANOTHER $100. That’s $250 off the $675 price, making it $425 for two days at Sebring, instruction, and banquet.

Russ Oasis and I will be there, racing with many other Viper Racing League Drivers. I’d love to get as many people as possible from our club to attend. I promised Skip Thomas, the owner of Viper Days, that if he’d bring the event to Florida, that our club would respond and that we’re not a bunch of posers. This is definitely the best opportunity to experience your car, on a world renowned track, Sebring.

You can sign up by calling Courtney Thomas at (847) 594-VIPR (8477).

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me. I know that you’ll have a blast. I can be reached at (407) 366-0366.

Gary Lashinsky
SE Zone Director
VCA of Central & North FL

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well articulated post, Gary...and CONGRATS on your Region's decision to offer a "safety subsidy" to your first time members taking the driving school!!!

In my opinion, this is a very important, responsible, and constructive move that should lead to enhanced driving safety, and therefore, an even higher level of Viper ownership enjoyment. I would certainly HOPE that other VCA Regions will consider offering a similar program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc