Viper Days Finals are at Daytona International Speedway!

Dave Scott

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's right, the home of the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona will also be our home for 3 wonderful days for VRL racers and Challenge drivers!

Please come join us October 23-25. We will be there in conjunction with PBOC, and there will be an expected 200 cars in the event.

There will be a two-hour race on Friday, and 2 one-hour races each on Saturday and Sunday. In addition, there will be incredible amounts of track time for Challenge drivers all 3 days.

Please note that this will be an NON-INSTRUCTED event. We will not be able to register any Green drivers for this event.

To register, please go to viperdays.com or call our Event Planner, Lindsey Douglas, at 817-829-4893.

DaveGF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave: First thanks for a great race weekend at TWS last month. It was great to see old friends and make some new ones. I was reminded of how fun, safe and hassle-free the NARRA/Viper Days group is. Unfortunately, Roebling is out for me but I am seriously considering Daytona. How will re-fueling be handled? Are there going to be pitstops of a minimum duration to eliminate the need to rush pit stops (saving $$ and reducing risk)? The web site says 3 hours for the enduro somewhere and your post says 2 hours - is it 2? Are multiple drivers required? Allowed? Is refueling envisioned for the 1 hour races?
Sorry for all the Qs.
Dave Fiorelli

Rich Wesorick: Are you and Ben still planning to make the trip?

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave - Ben and I are signed up and will be at Daytona!

My guess is that the PCA will be calling the shots on the races. We have raced with them in the past and here's how I would answer your questions. No fueling in 1-hour races. Not sure if the enduro is 2 or 3 hours, but driver changes are allowed. Refueling is done with driver out of car and over the wall. The pit stop to refuel is mandatory 5 mins, so there is no rushing (except for me cuz it taked me too long to strapped back in...).

Hope to see you there!

Rich

OP
OP
D

Dave Scott

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich, great to hear! It will be good to see you again! Dave, thanks for the feedback. We hope you can make Daytona. Rich is pretty much spot-on that PBOC (not PCA) is setting the race formats, and what they will look like. They did cut the enduro on Friday down to 2 hours, with 1 mandatory stop of a minimum of 5 minutes, IIRC. Driver changes are allowed but not required, as is refueling. I do not yet have an answer on the maximuum number of people over the wall at one time for each car, but I suspect it will not diverge much from standard PBOC practice, like they did at Sebring.

OP
OP
D

Dave Scott

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much track time will Challenge drivers get? Will Vipers be running with PBOC cars or in seperate groups?

I have not seen the final Daytona schedule yet, but expect to do so this week. Yes, Vipers in the Challenge will run with correspondingly-classed PBOC cars. However, since there is no Green group at Daytona, everyone should see more track time. We will post the scheduule as soon as it is finalized.

-Dave

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way, but the NARRA website seems to be missing some things, like Car Classification Rules and Entry List. In looking at some past results, it looks like classes include 'ACR' and 'ACR Modified' (which pertain to me). I assume the 'Modified' class means guys like me running Mopar PCM, headers, slicks, weight reduced cars. How many cars can I expect to be in my class? When you say Challenge cars will be running against similarly classed PBOC cars, what class cars are those? I look at the PBOC website, and it seems to be more aligned with driver experience or something. (I don't know what 'solo' and 'super solo' means.) Also, your posted schedule doesn't include Challenge sessions (last time I checked...yesterday). How many each day and how long? Are there any contingencies or prizes to be won in the Challenge series? (The only NARRA event I attended this year was at Putnam, and it was basically just a T&T weekend--and a lot of fun, but I wouldn't travel 1000 miles and pay $1000 to do it, unless I was going to get a boatload of track time). Can you shed some more light on the Challenge event? I am on the fence about going. Jim

3SRTsandGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't answer all of your questions, but I can hopefully provide some useful information. I believe that Solo and Super Solo is basically a demarcation between track experience. In other words, the Super Solo drivers have more experience than the Solo drivers, and therefore, are likely going to have faster lap times. PBOC has a nice mix of cars including Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Ford GT, and others. There could be, for example, a Porsche GT3 in solo or Super Solo depending on driver's experience. I reviewed the PBOC schedule and it appears that all "classes" will have 3-30 minute sessions Saturday and Sunday. Typically with NARRA there is 4 sessions per day, but we have to keep in mind this is the 24-hr Daytona Course. I believe you are correct that you would be classified as ACR-Modified. The number of cars in your class is a function of attendance, but I'd predict 1-6. You'll likely be on the track with 20-30 cars. I raced with PBOC twice this year and we had car fields of 60+, which was a blast. At one minute your lapping a mini-Cooper while your battling with a Ferrari Challenge on your left and a Porsche GT3 RS on your right.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. It sounds like a lot of fun. Here are some add'l questions. Are cars gridded by time? Will the Vipers be using the same timing sys as PBOC and gridded among the PBOC cars? What timing sys is in place at Dayton, AMB? I assume it will be an open passing group for advanced drivers (whatever class you call them), but please correct me if I am wrong. Why don't they post up a list of entrants, so we can see who is coming? Thanks again.

Last edited:

3SRTsandGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe that cars are gridded by time. In fact, I don't think the various classes (other than race) are timed. My wife drives in the Solo group and indicates that the first to grid is the first on track. You should expect to be intermingled with various cars. For the race group, we use AMB. I "think" that Super Solo requires a point by for passing, but I could be wrong. As of 5 minutes ago, there were more than 120 registered cars (not including NARRA registrants)! I can see the PBOC list as a member of PBOC. I would like to see NARRA also provide a list of registrants in the future.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like they have some issues to work out. How can NARRA have a 'champion' if they aren't timed? They must be timed, but then, we would have to work our way through traffic to get a fast lap? Hmmm, sounds fun in a way, but could be very frustrating if you get some ego ahead of you in a slow car who doesn't want to give a point by.

OP
OP
D

Dave Scott

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like they have some issues to work out. How can NARRA have a 'champion' if they aren't timed? They must be timed, but then, we would have to work our way through traffic to get a fast lap? Hmmm, sounds fun in a way, but could be very frustrating if you get some ego ahead of you in a slow car who doesn't want to give a point by.

Sorry I have not been able to reply for a while. Sinusitis is no fun. :(

Viper Days/NARRA times every car, so having a champion is quite simple. At Daytona, we will be using the same AMB transponders as PBOC uses, and we anticipate we will adopt AMB permanently for the future. Our cars are gridded by the previous session's best laptime, although at Daytona PBOC will grid as they deem appropriate.

PBOC's Student and Solo groups are allowed to pass in designated zones on the Daytona straightaways, which will be outlined in the drivers' meetings. SuperSolo driver can pass anywhere, although it is expected they will vote to not allow passing in the Bus Stop, for safety reasons. We'll see...

Boxer12, if you have questions, please email me rather than post speculation here: dave AT narraonline DOT com.

Thanks!

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would someone please PDF me the VRL Rules ? I can not find them on the NARRA Web Site. Thanks in Advance.

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The vipers seem to have waxed most of the field. :) Here's a video I did from Jimmy Z's corvette if it shows up here. I post a few on my Tim Galyean facebook. I took a few thousand pictures, awesome stuff and track. Great weather.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nhYNFQgwBs8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nhYNFQgwBs8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The coolest part was seeing 173MPH show up on the speedo/data gathered by the Motec Data system. Can't wait to see some of Tim's pictures. PBOC people were very nice and very clean racing. Fields of 55 -65 cars on the track at one time. Way too cool!!!!! Going around the Nascar turns at 32 degrees of banking took a little getting used too. You could actually feel your ass getting planted farther and farther down into the seat. Beleive it or not you are looking out the very top left hand corner of the windshield to see around the corners you are driving through at about 150MPH.

Tim let's see a few more pictures, I'll try to up load a few videos to you tube later this week.

dtenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The coolest part was seeing 173MPH show up on the speedo/data gathered by the Motec Data system.

Yeah I never could get the courage to run flat out, I think my car could reach 155 to 160 mph driving closer to 8/10ths. I am was really impressed how well the Vipers did in the sprint races, they were great fun to watch.

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala