Viper Days ruined my life (long)

Doc.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The story you are about to read is true. No names have been changed to protect the innocent. It all starts out on a bright sunny morning in early October. I had just finished waxing my beautiful blue beast and I was kicked back on the front porch drinking a mint julep, enjoying the cool southern breeze. Life was good and I was the "king of the world." I was feeling quite cocky as I was one year into my five year retirement plan. I was on auto pilot, so to speak. Just 4 more years and I could quit work and maybe buy a bed and breakfast up in the Colorado rockies and leave the rat race for good. I was quite content with my small town Louisiana existence and I thought I had life pretty much figured out. Things were about to take a turn for the worst.
Having the day to myself, I decided to do a little web surfing. I accidentally ran across the viper club web site. I was actually looking up snakes as I had seen one in the yard that I wanted to identify. There were a couple of seemingly well meaning folks on that sight espousing the virtues of attending an upcoming Viper Days event in my area. "Come on out", said Russ Oaisis. "You'll have a great time", retorted Janni Cone. I was soon to find out that theses two are best described as minions of the devil himself.
I happened to be off during the scheduled event time, so I decided to attend.
Wanting to have my sled in perfect working order, I took my car to Bobby Archer for the once over. I ended up leaving the next three months mortgage payments there with him. Oh, he was nice and all, but I believe he too is involved in this great conspiracy to destroy my life.
Lets cut to the chase. I show up at the event and have the time of my life. I am on total sensory overload. RT/10's, GTS's, and Competition Coupes abound as far as the eye can see. Add to this the smell of burning rubber and the sounds of barking V-10's and you start to get the picture of how helpless I was to resist at this point. I'm not trying to put all of the blame on others as I was a willing participant, at first. Soon though, It was beyond all of my mortal powers to resist and I began doing hot laps. First slow easy ones, then fast (okay fast is a relative term) ones. Before I knew it I was spinning out of control on turn number three. I settled safely in the infield and collected my composure. My instructor calmly explained that for every action there was and equal and opposite reaction. He painted a picture of ying and yang, light and heavy,fast and slow. He then told me I was the Anti-PMUM. I'm still not sure what he ment by that, but I think it can be considered a compliment to even be named in the same sentence as PMUM. I continued do drive all weekend getting deeper and deeper into this sub culture they call Viper days. I felt like the undercover cop who has been "under" for so long that he can't really remember who he actually is. And to top it off, every one was so nice. Even the serious racers with multimillion dollar rigs took time out to talk to me. I believe the Viper Days sponsors should invite a few well known jerks to attend just to give us newbies a chance to get ticked off and break the spell we are obviously under.
On the way home I was thinking of ways to finance my newfound addiction. I took the dogs to the pound, and the gold fish. Well, :headbang: I'm to ashamed to say what I did to the gold fish but those of you with aquariums know how much those guppies can eat. I made a deal with my young daughter that if I increase her allowance to 10.00 a week I will not have to pay for her collage or a wedding in the future. I plan to get it in writing when she is of legal age to enter a binding contract .
I knew that I was in trouble when I joined Jenny Craig to help shed a few pounds to make my car faster. I tried a twelve step program but I got kicked out. When the group leader asked me about believing in a higher power, I told her absolutely, yes. I went on to add that I had thought about headers, full exhaust, and t&d rockers as a way to acheive a higher power and she asked me to leave. What was up with that? When I told my broker that I was thinking about selling some stocks to upgrade my car he vehemently advised against it. So I fired him. My five year retirement plan is now out the window as I have no idea how to stop the madness.
Let this serve as a warning to posers everywhere. NEVER let the track crowd talk you into going to a Viper Days event. While you may posses more shear willpower than I and be able to walk away, it is not worth the risk. It may be too late for me but you can still save yourselves. RUN, RUN , RUN.
Doc

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely hilarious!!! I think you've got a future in story writing when your doctor days are over. Courtney should post this tale on the Viper Days website.

Rich

OP
OP
D

Doc.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Joe,
I lived in Denver during my residency years and the FJ 40 was my daily driver. It doesn't see much action these days but it has so much sentimental value that there will always be a spot for it in my garage. I'll take her out every once in a while for a little back woods fun just to keep everything working right.
Doc

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they are spiking all that free water they insist upon you drinking.

We also lost our respective cherries and the first thing I did when I got home was look to see when and where the next track event would be.

For you that didn't get the pleasure of meeting this fine man-his car had some brake problems and he only got to run in two heats. No whining, no complaining--he just took it all in stride and kept smiling. This is one stand up guy. My pleasure to have met you!

Bill

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to have seen you all at the meet... I had a blast also at the great
Archer BBQ afterwards...

See, I told you were going to get spoilt... :2tu:

You could not have asked for better weather to boot

P.S. You don't have to wait for the next event... you can
allways go out to MSR anytime your in town.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doc,
And that was a TAME weekend. Join us in CA in Jan. the weather is fine and the track with blow your mind. The 2004 schedule is posted at www.viperdays.com. You'll be as fast as anyone else the next time out.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heh - my first spin at MSR was in Tombstone.

Glad you had the chance to come on down and enjoy it - MSR is a GREAT track and you are certainly spreading the good word. :) :2tu:

superdavz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well now I'm scared. I'm planning on going to the next Viper Days event I can go too. So I hope nothing bad happens to me.

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Superdavz:

Not sure if you're kidding or not, but in case you're not... the only thing to be afraid of is addiction.

Viper Days is very safe, very educational, very fun, and very addicting. You'll drive home from the track with some new skills, profound respect for the car and what it takes to be fast, and you'll be wondering why you haven't done this sooner and when the next event is.

Rich

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
while I haven't hit a Viper days event as of yet, I did a lapping event with our VCA chapter and had a blast.

Pitching a Viper around a course with police being the last thing on the mind and learning how to drive being the first. What a gas.

That I limped home with brakes to the rotors and yellowed side sills, while eating up 75% of my brand new Kumhos in one day was all small side notes.......

Will happen again, had a chance to do a 20 minute session with an instructor pass side, talk about learning experience.

gas, gas, brake, brake, cut hard, no brakes, into the gas, let the car open up off the apex. ahhhh, not much beats it, nothing.

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doc,

You killed me with that story! You definitely have a flair for writing. I have the same feelings about Viper Days as you do, and can't wait for the Fort Worth Finals event. This past weekend was my first VD event as well - enjoyed visiting with you. Hope you can make it to the finals. I spent a little cash on goodies this past week as well; full brake system, tow hooks, brake cooling cones, eibach springs, sway bar enhancements, alignment, new trailer, new plug wires, etc.... etc... etc....

I think that I was infected with the same virus that zapped you. My next project is to infect my wife with the disease. She is coming to Fort Worth for the finals banquet - maybe you can stand close to her and sneeze.

I've got to get back to the shop to start installing the goodies.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Absolute riot and welcome to the world of financial misjudgement. I about lost it when I read about your scheme for the allowance upgrade with future educational stipulations - had to find a kleenex I was laughing so hard. Look forward to seeing you at a future event, and boy are you going to be miserable until Viper Days starts back up. Whoops, I guess there is the Finals coming up ........ wonder if there are any openings left,haha?

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Superdavz:

Not sure if you're kidding or not, but in case you're not... the only thing to be afraid of is addiction.

Does that mean I'll have to go through "spin-dry" :eek: to get viper-free?
don't wanna be addicted!!!!! :rolleyes: It was hell quittin' smokin'!!!!! :laugh:

DAMN!!!!!!! I'm gonna be addicted aren't I? :headbang:

Olivier Caza

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool story! Be careful...I think it can even get more and more expensive...;)

-Olivier

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a great story!

Makes me wonder whether I should aim for 2 Vipers instead of just one - so I can leave one in the USA just to be able to join you guys. It sounds so much fun!

I'd like to start some kind of business interests in the USA anyway so I might just put that second Viper on the plan - it'd be great to spend a few months there every year - plus what a way to get around while there! Dang Doc - you got me thinkin! :cool:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C'mon Torque, buy another one. Then some of us could rent yours when your over there!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :2tu: :headbang: :2tu: :headbang: :2tu: :headbang:

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never been called "Minions of the devil himself". Cool. :headbang: :headbang:

Doc - it was great to meet you and even greater to watch your smile throughout the weekend - especially after Bobby found the key to your brake problem and you were able to get some REAL hot laps in with your GTS.

congrats on your new addiction!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960