Viper drag racing

Pat_L_96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am interested in drag racing my 96 GTS and I want to add a 150 to 200 shot of nitrous. I plan on deleting the cats and adding smooth tubes also. Can anyone give me an idea of what I will need to change to keep this car in one piece? Will I have to change half shafts? Change the clutch? If so what clutch does everyone recommend? Has anyone used a Kevlar disc? Thanks in advance.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The existing clutch is fine, the half shafts need an upgrade.

OP
OP
P

Pat_L_96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At what horse power level should the h-shafts be replaced? I plan on big N littles with the wheels to reduce rolling resistance. Was hoping to us BFG's. Does anyone have an idea what this combo should run? Thanks

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a logic to keeping the "weak" halfshafts. They are the easiest and probably the cheapest part to replace. There has to be a weakest link, might as well be them. Not sure, but I think there are aftermarket safety loops to keep them from tearing the underbody up when they give out.

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The shafts are the weakest link for sure...I think on a BFG you have to control your launch a lot more than on a set of slicks. The harder the launch with no slippage is what causes the problems. I could only leave around 2100 RPM on the new BFG's with the same size shot you are wanting to spray. On the same day at the track another Viper owner (Kevin Linebaugh) on slicks was leaving at over 4000 RPM if I am not mistaken. I would think there would be more of a chance to break something leaving harder and hooking harder. Anyway, both Kevin's car and my car ran 11.70's on motor and I went 10.70's on a wet kit and he went 10.40's on a propane set up... I am not sure which route you are going, but the propane set up definitely made more power with a similar size jetting. By the way, I still have the stock shafts in my car and haven't had a problem...knock on wood. Hope that helps.
Later,
Joe

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BMRFabrication and Unitrax both are great products.
(they SPonsor the V-10 Nationals as well)

Halfshafts are a must! nothing like being at the track and first pass you break one! THEY WILL BREAK!

OP
OP
P

Pat_L_96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone, thanks for the information. I am going to take all of this into account and begin laying out my build plan. Also, I will support those companies that support our sport. Last question, do these engines respond to porting work such as a SBC OR BBC engine? Again, thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness