Viper Dry Sump

walter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Racers,

who has modified his viper with a dry sump system?

I need detailed informations for this modification, like which pump (stages?), etc.
is it possible to use stock oil pan?
where do you mount the tank?
How big is your oil cooler?
Where do you connect the inlet to the engine?

Thank you for helping me!

OP
OP
W

walter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not very detailed, isn't it?

Which g-t-s-r do you mean?
GTS-R or GTS/R?

Does mopar have a complete dry sump system in the catalogue?
In my catalogue there's only the performance pan with trap doors.

The system from the gts-r (FIA Race car) is not easy to transfer, cause it has different oil pan, different time chain cover etc.

I want to modificate a street viper, so i don't need most of the above.

I don't want to loose the passenger space, so the oil tank should be located in the rear boot.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't know there were so many types of GTS-R. The one Dean refers to is the racing car and not the GT2 (production car replica).

To help out you need to indicate what Viper you have. The GTS-R parts should retrofit into a Gen II I believe. Other aspects I do not know.

BTW where is the boot? Is that an English trunk? :)

BYT U L8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can use the stock oil pan...need to weld 4 bungs to the sides.

oil tank goes in the trunk. The long lines to and from the tank keep the oil super cool.

5 stage oil pump

Call West Coast Viper...they have a great dry sump set-up

OP
OP
W

walter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Ron,

it's a 97 Model.

The GTS-R parts may fit but it's not sure. The outer dry sump pump is connected to the oil pan directly wich is completely different from stock pan. oil pump is very closed to the position where normally on stock models the brackets for the engine are.
The GTS-R has a different frame with engine brackets at the timing chain cover.

Sorry about my english, i realize that the toe box is under the fascia, but there isn't any place for an oil tank, there are extra oil and water coolers mounted, and the cooling hoses for the brakes.

So in the rear boot? is the only space for a tank.

GTS-R has the oil tank located at the right side instead of A/C and radiator for the heater.

Thanks for your help

W.

OP
OP
W

walter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry again, boot is not the correct word for the trunk...

Isn't a four stage pump enough?

Do you use stock oil cooler?

Which diameter are the hoses? D10 or D12?

Thank you!

W.

BoostedV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Built a custom system and also installed the GTS-R one

OK... You can get away with a 4 stage pump just fine (3 scavenge, 1 pressure). the GTS-R set up is a 5 stage (4 scavenge, 1 pressure) with a centrifugal oil/air separator at the rear of the pump (allowing the use of a MUCH smaller revisor). the fittings on the pump are "-10"for foam return, "-8" for Oil return, "-10" for oil from the tank, and "-8" from the pump pressure side to filter/cooler/motor. The pump bolts directly to a custom oil pan with the oil return passages milled directly into the pan itself. By milling the passages into the pan they managed to eliminate any hoses from the pan to the pump and therefore were able to produce a much thinner pan (about 1" thick) The pan/pump setup will work on a stock block provided you have a GTS-R front cover and also have the front of your crankshaft modified to accommodate the acc. drive setup that was used with the GTS-R's. or create your own. I also think that the system has been discontinued from Mopar performance. I have also built and installed a custom setup based off the stock Viper pan along with a 4 stage pump and utilized a modified stock acc. drive to power it (keyed with an added cog pulley). So if anyone is inquiring about how to do it or what it takes to do it. feal free to drop me a line at the board here and I will answer all questions.

BoostedV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
almost forgot

By the way. it is possible to retain all your stock HVAC and not have the tank in the trunk (in a coupe that would be bad du to the fact that you could get some crankcase gas venting into the cockpitst kind of F.Y.I.....

OP
OP
W

walter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Built a custom system and also installed the GTS-R one

I think the oiling system is to weak for all-time track use, and to be sure not to crash an engine again the accusump system may be not enough modification.

My oil pressure was never more than 45 psi under hot conditions at higher revs, and this is not enough for an engine like this. i measuerd the oil pump and the timing chain cover, and the hole for the pump in the cover was worn out (diameter too big) pump was still in the correct measurement. To have a long time reliable engine i think the best solution for me is dry sump, also to keep oil temperature cooler.
On hot days i had oil temp in the pan nearly 300 F, water 240, even with second oil cooler in the toe box right and second water cooler in the toe box left (which is in fact the reason for putting oil tank in the back), fog light dismounted for air flow to coolers.
of course a/c system completly thrown out.

regards

W.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My oil pressure was never more than 45 psi under hot conditions at higher revs, and this is not enough for an engine like this.

Just curious if 15W50 would help any, with the pressure???

BoostedV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

if you can get ahold oa a GTS-R pan-pump set up. you could easily adapt it to your situation and use a small reservoir and place it in the area of the cross member in front of the engine and therefore not have to worry about excessive plumbing. and keep in mind that if the tank is placed in the back . your pressure pump will be required to draw oil forward through around 10' of hose against the forces of acceleration (not a good thing!) let alone start-up when the oil is cold and thick! so usually that is not a good plan. but you work with what you got.

:usa:

OP
OP
W

walter

Enthusiast
Reaction score

15W50 would kill the engine after one lap with this temperature,
we use 10W60.

Oil pressure is normally no problem of oil, more of weak bearings or weak pump.

BoostedV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

come on...how about just using some 80w140 then? LOL. That should help cushion those worn parts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang