Viper engine detailing....

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whose done it, and what are the do's and lessons learned??

Yucky motor here. :(

416Dirty_V-10-med.JPG

Bernard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have mine done at the local detail shop for $20 which includes a handwash for the car and interior cleaning. I've gone there for 15 years, hence the low price.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i use soap and water only. very little water pressure. nothing too serious in my mind about doing it. just make sure to dry it well. I always use a leaf blower and follow up with a clean towel.

VIPER52USA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm no expert on the subject, but I leave my car running if I'm going to be putting water around the engine.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
It has taken me about a year but I use a dry rag with degreaser sprayed on it and spend about 15 minutes every now then to the point where the whole bay is now very clean, each time I hit a different area. Now I just hit it with compressed air after about every 3rd ride to blow out any dirt and it stays virtually new.

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really enjoy detailing all my cars and others who ask. IRT the Viper, the engine bay is easy and simple to clean-up. If you're the type who doesn't want to spend hours detailing the bay or having it professionally done at the shop, then consider giving it 5-10 minutes after you wash it. Basically, every time you wash the car there is always water that collects under the hood. So, crack the hood and wipe off the excess standing water. Then use a clean damp cloth and wipe down the rest of the engine and surrounding bay area. Additionally, use a can of compressed air (only a few bucks at Walmart) to blow away dust and dirt. After you're done, then add a little protectant if you want. Your engine doesn't look too dirty, so consider this...use the air can first, then a damp cloth, then wash the car. After washing the car it may only take you 5-10 mins to finish off the engine bay.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but the key to a clean engine is to keep up with it. everytime i drive it, i wash the exterior and engine bay. and once its clean its easy to maintain.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a motor that has a lot of dirt and grease, you are gonna need to de-grease it either using Engine Brite or Gunk, might even need to hit it with an old Wash mit and brush. Then hose off dirt and soap.

Use your leaf blower and blow it dry best you can. Then I spray it with the 2001 or Mequires Foaming Tire spray. Let it sit on till the foam is mostly gone, then rinse the excess foam and spray off.
Blow it dry again with the leaf blower. Then I meticulously wipe off each part that could get water spots and wax the valve covers, intake, etc.

End result: Not as fancy as some motors on the board, but not bad for being powder coated in 1998 and even going through a complete rebuild.

2222ViperEngine-med.JPG

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a motor that has a lot of dirt and grease, you are gonna need to de-grease it either using Engine Brite or Gunk, might even need to hit it with an old Wash mit and brush. Then hose off dirt and soap.

Use your leaf blower and blow it dry best you can. Then I spray it with the 2001 or Mequires Foaming Tire spray. Let it sit on till the foam is mostly gone, then rinse the excess foam and spray off.
Blow it dry again with the leaf blower. Then I meticulously wipe off each part that could get water spots and wax the valve covers, intake, etc.

End result: Not as fancy as some motors on the board, but not bad for being powder coated in 1998 and even going through a complete rebuild.

2222ViperEngine-med.JPG

show off :2tu:

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
start off with a nice shinny new ROE Supercharger on the top of the motor. It is amazing how that makes the engine compartment so good.