Viper Enthusiast looking for general info, and my introduction...

etecnifibre

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric from Madison, IN. I plan to buy a Viper, right now, just a dream really. I'm probably at least 5 years away. I'd like to have an 03-06, Silver Vert with the H Wheels. We've been on one income for about 6 years, and now that my wife has completed school and secured a job, it's time to start saving. Obviously, costs will come down on the years I'm looking at, so it's a dream I should be able to realize within the next few years (I don't plan on taking a loan out).

A few questions I have (I've been reading and reading and reading.)

Is there a mileage limit I should be concerned about when considering a vehicle? Obviously, I'll be looking for one with all the maintenance records and one from a respectable individual. The reason I ask is because a couple of years ago I bought a Twin Turbo Dodge Stealth with 70K on it, one owner, and it was immaculate. I ended up doing some exhaust and suspension upgrades on it, and the bolts came off with hand tools.

I have the "disease" as some here put it, so I won't be able to leave it alone without doing at least some exhaust upgrades. How susceptible are the Vipers to "breaking" when more power is introduced? The only real thing I had to worry about on the Stealth was the motor mounts. The 12 year old stock rubber ones just didn't last, and I added poly and solid mounts.

Thanks in advance for the replies. Like I said, I've read quite a few threads here, and there are some really good people, and I'm sure I can learn a lot and I really look forward to the day that I have my Viper.

Here are a couple of pics of the Stealth. I sold it to get my Viper fund started. I'm working my butt off, because I really miss having a high performance car that makes passing a breeze.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome (officially) to the VCA web boards. Your gonna love it here.

As for the car, keep saving. It took me 9 years, but it was worth every day of hard work. It will come. Just believe it to be so and keep saving.:2tu:

For milage, as with any vehicle but especially with a Viper, the lower it is the better. But always remember, 50,000 road miles is better than 5,000 track miles, so be sure to do a backround check on the car first. To do that contact the VCA President of that area. They nomally have a good idea of local Vipers and how thay were treated.

Also highly recommended is to get a book by Maurice Liang entitled The Viper Buyers Guide. It will cover ALOT of info. Well worth the $20.

Robert

P.S. Most on this board have the same disease you have. I know I do...:rolleyes:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not certain of your question about mileage. Are you concerned about value or about wear and tear?

As for value, there seems to be a significant decrease in market price for Vipers with any significant mileage. Significant with Vipers is somewhere above 10,000 miles. As a buyer, I'd sacrifice miles for price in a heartbeat! The purchase of a well maintained Viper with 40,000 miles can save you enough to do MAJOR engine work and mods over a 5-10,000 mile car....and many will tell you that you're looking for trouble with a Viper that's seen less than 1,000 miles a year in usage.

Viper engines are extremely strong with regard to longevity (unless highly modded). Don't be at all fearful of "high" mileage Viper (based on the right owner).

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Lots of guys here were STEALTH TT GUYS before they were Viper Guys.....I had two TTs, and still have 1, with 96000 miles on it. (Viper Blue/White stripes)

Adding HP to Gen 3 motors via exhaust work is NO PROBLEM. That big pushrod V-10 is WAAAAY stronger than our Mitsu V6 4VDOHC... Mod with confidence!

GOOD LUCK!! (but stay out of snow and wet w/ the SNAKE....the Stealth is a snow-boarder by comparison... I drove mine up the ALCAN Hiway...in the WINTER!)

OzeViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the boards, I got the bite a few weeks ago so I'm new as well. Everyone here is very nice and helpful, which makes me want to be part of the owner community that much more. Lucky for me I'm single with no kids and nearly out of debt so I will be trying to make my purchase Chrismas 09 or Spring of 2010 after I get my income tax return. If ya havn't yet, go find a dealer selling one and sit in it, it's surreal and will keep ya motivated!

OP
OP
E

etecnifibre

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the boards, I got the bite a few weeks ago so I'm new as well. Everyone here is very nice and helpful, which makes me want to be part of the owner community that much more. Lucky for me I'm single with no kids and nearly out of debt so I will be trying to make my purchase Chrismas 09 or Spring of 2010 after I get my income tax return. If ya havn't yet, go find a dealer selling one and sit in it, it's surreal and will keep ya motivated!

Thanks. I'll have to drive at least an hour to find one. That's about how far I am to Louisville.

Lots of guys here were STEALTH TT GUYS before they were Viper Guys.....I had two TTs, and still have 1, with 96000 miles on it. (Viper Blue/White stripes)

Adding HP to Gen 3 motors via exhaust work is NO PROBLEM. That big pushrod V-10 is WAAAAY stronger than our Mitsu V6 4VDOHC... Mod with confidence!

GOOD LUCK!! (but stay out of snow and wet w/ the SNAKE....the Stealth is a snow-boarder by comparison... I drove mine up the ALCAN Hiway...in the WINTER!)

Good to know. My Stealth had NO issues whatsoever until I started adding HP. Actually, though, the motor mounts were the only problem I really encountered except for possibly the carrier bearings. I ended up with a carbon fiber driveshaft, so took care of that problem.

The Stealth was a car I REALLY wanted. I still miss it, mine looked very nice, was a head turner, and provided good performance.

I'm not certain of your question about mileage. Are you concerned about value or about wear and tear?

As for value, there seems to be a significant decrease in market price for Vipers with any significant mileage. Significant with Vipers is somewhere above 10,000 miles. As a buyer, I'd sacrifice miles for price in a heartbeat! The purchase of a well maintained Viper with 40,000 miles can save you enough to do MAJOR engine work and mods over a 5-10,000 mile car....and many will tell you that you're looking for trouble with a Viper that's seen less than 1,000 miles a year in usage.

Viper engines are extremely strong with regard to longevity (unless highly modded). Don't be at all fearful of "high" mileage Viper (based on the right owner).

Thanks, I will certainly keep that in mind. My main area of concern would be wear and tear. I said I would keep my Stealth forever, but owning it opened up new opportunities for me financially. I started working on it, realized I could do odds and ends things with cars, selling parts, scrapping cars, selling cars, etc, that I would never have thought of before I owned the Stealth. This extra knowledge and resulting income made me realize that a Viper was not as far out of reach that I had expected.

Welcome (officially) to the VCA web boards. Your gonna love it here.

As for the car, keep saving. It took me 9 years, but it was worth every day of hard work. It will come. Just believe it to be so and keep saving.:2tu:

For milage, as with any vehicle but especially with a Viper, the lower it is the better. But always remember, 50,000 road miles is better than 5,000 track miles, so be sure to do a backround check on the car first. To do that contact the VCA President of that area. They nomally have a good idea of local Vipers and how thay were treated.

Also highly recommended is to get a book by Maurice Liang entitled The Viper Buyers Guide. It will cover ALOT of info. Well worth the $20.

Robert

P.S. Most on this board have the same disease you have. I know I do...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the input. I wish I'd have started 10 years ago myself. I'm 34 now, so hopefully, by the time I am 40, I will have my car. I figure owning a Viper is a once in a lifetime type of opportunity, so better late than never.

As for the modding side of things, there is always a thirst for more power, but it's not the only thing. I get quite amused at the videos I see where the Supra beats the Murcielago. That's great, but at the end of the day, it's still a Toyota and the other guy has a Lambo. If I wanted only speed, I'd buy an Eagle Talon and put 15 grand into it and have a 10 second car! :)

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome aboard man and keep the dream alive! I dreamed and saved for years and last month was able to make it all come true by purchasing an RT/10. I'm fairly close to Louisville too, good town.

OP
OP
E

etecnifibre

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome aboard man and keep the dream alive! I dreamed and saved for years and last month was able to make it all come true by purchasing an RT/10. I'm fairly close to Louisville too, good town.

Thanks, I sure will. I have a very secure job, so it's just a matter of time and how hard I work at it. Also, I have a 9 year old son, not only will I get to achieve my dream, but he will be able to learn that hard work and dedication pays off.

As for being close to L'ville, I never knew Margaritaville was so close!

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I sure will. I have a very secure job, so it's just a matter of time and how hard I work at it. Also, I have a 9 year old son, not only will I get to achieve my dream, but he will be able to learn that hard work and dedication pays off.

As for being close to L'ville, I never knew Margaritaville was so close!

Haha, oh but it is. I like to think that I live in my own little Margaritaville here :) Hanging out in my topical room with my margarita machine helps me keep my sanity.

And that is a great thing to teach your son. I don't have any kids yet, but hopefully I can teach them about hard work someday.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Eric...welcome!

There is a lot of good advice here.

Your local VCA is always a great place to start a Viper hunt...and, by all means, call on them for help when you start to narrow down your search...may save you a lot of grief in the future!!!

Also, keep your eye on the IN/KY VCA section and/or the "gatherings" section of this board as we our events in both places. Feel free to drop in on our events and visit!!

If I can help you with anything, please let me know!!

Steve Fess, Sec. VCA IN/KY Region, Inc.

OP
OP
E

etecnifibre

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, Eric...welcome!

There is a lot of good advice here.

Your local VCA is always a great place to start a Viper hunt...and, by all means, call on them for help when you start to narrow down your search...may save you a lot of grief in the future!!!

Also, keep your eye on the IN/KY VCA section and/or the "gatherings" section of this board as we our events in both places. Feel free to drop in on our events and visit!!

If I can help you with anything, please let me know!!

Steve Fess, Sec. VCA IN/KY Region, Inc.

Thanks much, Steve. As I said, I'm quite a ways off yet, but I will certainly be in touch with this forum when I finally get around to my purchase.

I actually saw 2 Vipers in Madison a week or two ago. I'm not really up to date on the recognition, but one was gray or white with blue stripes, looked like it had a removable hard top, and the following car was a Red 3rd Gen Vert. Very rare for me to see a Viper in my area. I was busy at work and only caught a passing glimpse.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
............. it's just a matter of time and how hard I work at it. Also, I have a 9 year old son, not only will I get to achieve my dream, but he will be able to learn that hard work and dedication pays off........

Uh-Oh........

In 6-7 years you get your Viper.
In 6 years he gets a Learner's Permit..
In 7 years he gets his Drivers License....

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh-Oh........

In 6-7 years you get your Viper.
In 6 years he gets a Learner's Permit..
In 7 years he gets his Drivers License....

Good observation!! It is also recommended by most driving schools that children learn to drive standard before moving onto automatics!;) Are you thinking what I am thinking.... :hmmm::D

Robert

OP
OP
E

etecnifibre

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've already put the fear into him. Nothing to worry about. I hope. Anyway, I'll probably remove something to keep it from being started. Like the engine, lock it up in a safe or something.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4