Viper=Gawkers dream

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool article and so true,eh?:)

It is widely known in some circles that the Dodge Viper is perhaps the most extremely high performance and high fashion make or model of any Dodge sports car ever produced, which accounts for the fact that so many people have heard of the unique design features of the Dodge Viper. What does come as a surprise to many new Viper owners is the extreme effect that driving a Dodge Viper can often have on other drivers and on pedestrians. Drivers who see a Viper go by have been known to gawk with gaping mouths and forget what else is happening on the road, and people on the sidewalk are likely to stop walking and will stand transfixed, staring at your car as you pass. Part of the reason why the Dodge Viper has such a unique and powerful impact is that the people who are aware of the unique look of the Dodge run in a very limited circle. This means that there are still plenty of people who have not heard of the Dodge Viper, and have not witnessed its memorable charms. These people are often very confused when they see a Dodge Viper, and do not know how to explain what exactly it is, which accounts for the attention that a Dodge Viper driver will encounter everywhere he or she takes his or her new car.

If it is news to you that the Dodge Viper is one of the most unique and exciting cars on the road, and that it can win you quite a bit of attention in your daily life, you have quite a bit to learn about what makes the Dodge Viper such a special vehicle. You may even want to spend some time looking into whether a memorable Dodge sports car like the Viper is a good choice for you as a driver. For many drivers who discover the Dodge Viper for the first time fairly late in their lives, the Viper is the beginning of a whole new relationship between driver and vehicle, and it changes the way that they view their behavior on the road, and the behavior of other drivers as well.

However, the kind of revolutionary effect that driving a Dodge Viper can have often takes some time to develop in a driver's mind and heart. Indeed, although the Dodge Viper is a very unique vehicle that straddles the best in high fashion driving and great performance on the road, it is not always clear why this car is so special until you spend some time looking into its design and engineering features. Reading about the Dodge Viper in magazines that test different kinds of vehicles is a great way to start learning about what the Viper might be able to offer you, and it will certainly give you a solid framework with which to understand how the Viper differs from other Dodge sports cars and from other brands of cars. Spending time on the internet looking at photographs of new and vintage Vipers will help you appreciate the rich history of this special car, and reading the testimonials of Viper drivers on message boards on Viper websites will help you start to understand what makes this car so very unique. However, there is only so much that you can learn from secondhand sources, so you really need to spend some time behind the wheel of a Viper before you can truly comprehend its power. If you are curious about why the Dodge Viper is so special, the best thing that you can do is take a test drive.:drive:

The Dodge Viper Commands A Lot Of Attention On The Road

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wouldn't let anyone 'testdrive' my Viper. Not likely that many Dealerships will allow 'testdrives'. Ringgold is a good Dealership for a test drive, but I question if a test drive in cold or wet weather is intelligent? Does Dealership insurance cover wrecked Vipers?

I'd recommned test drive a Z06, then try turning down the traction control. If you can handle that ... maybe you can operate a Viper. If you think you don't need a HP Driving course and haven't yet taken one, drive the vette, forget the Viper

:) :) :) :) :) Ted

OP
OP
G

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOOKING at a Viper and driving it are obviously 2 different things.Just sitting in one for the first time and then being the passenger, taken for a spirited drive, I almost crapped my shorts...and that was a stock Viper too...but the guy races cars so he knew how to handle the car on the edge.

I'll never forget.The guy who I bought my 1st Viper from...the guy I'm talking about above-He drove on the Expressway on ramp SHOULDER at over 200 KM as we entered the Expressway.

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't let anyone 'testdrive' my Viper. Not likely that many Dealerships will allow 'testdrives'. Ringgold is a good Dealership for a test drive, but I question if a test drive in cold or wet weather is intelligent? Does Dealership insurance cover wrecked Vipers?

I'd recommned test drive a Z06, then try turning down the traction control. If you can handle that ... maybe you can operate a Viper. If you think you don't need a HP Driving course and haven't yet taken one, drive the vette, forget the Viper

:) :) :) :) :) Ted

You can rent Vipers all over the place like Vegas and Orlando. It will cost a few hundred but for first timers it may be worth it before droppping 40K+ on something they may not even be able to control. I would never let someone that I dont know drive my car. Heck I dont let the people I DO know drive my car.

Viper rolls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree - when I first got the Viper 4+ years ago it was surprising.

What does come as a surprise to many new Viper owners is the extreme effect that driving a Dodge Viper can often have on other drivers and on pedestrians. Drivers who see a Viper go by have been known to gawk with gaping mouths and forget what else is happening on the road, and people on the sidewalk are likely to stop walking and will stand transfixed, staring at your car as you pass.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, rented a 97 GTS back in 02. Bought an 02 in 07!:nana:

As for driving, I tell people who ask:

There are only 2 people that can drive my car. Me and God. And God is still waiting for his turn!:D

Was actually told that by the previous onwer.......:D

Robert

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, rented a 97 GTS back in 02. Bought an 02 in 07!:nana:

As for driving, I tell people who ask:

There are only 2 people that can drive my car. Me and God. And God is still waiting for his turn!:D

Was actually told that by the previous onwer.......:D

Robert

Me, God and Chuck and Rob from Tators Dodge.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never, ever let anybody drive your VIPER.
Not even your "ViperTech" or "friend".
Mine (reputable dealership here) did.
Crashed it!
Hassle.
No end in sight.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've let people drive my Viper, but they are people that I have lots of trust in like my brother and a few close friends. I don't let anyone drive #34 only because it is lowered and pretty conspicuous - too tempting for some folks.

Nice write-up though. The only folks that should buy a Viper are folks that absolutely know they want one. These guys that are on the fence should go to the other side.

OP
OP
G

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just saw on another site-vette forums I think..a guy sold his Viper for a GT500.Thing was though he was just BASHING the Viper.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree Chuck
your either Committed, or your Not

This is why when i see the generic Convince me to buy a viper thread, or "im trying to decide between a Vette and a Viper" thread i respond with the vette would prob be a better choice for you. as most of our other members continue to bash the vette and try to convince the OP that the viper is a better car.
No **** its a better car. but if the OP cant figure that out for himself then...

O yea, great article!!! Who wrote it? I especially like the part where he says that many people dont even know what it is: that is soooo true. I could say that my 12 year old GTS is a pre-release 2010 Bentley Abbacadabra and they wouldnt know the difference.:lmao:

However, I Always PROUDLY say Dodge Viper :usa:

OP
OP
G

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm also surprised people still can't decide what it is.After all these years.Yet we have to remember just how limited these cars are.Many people,especially in the northeast and northwest and in Canada have never seen one in person.

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still get nervous driving my car, even after 18 months of ownership. It's not a scared nervous... hard to explain, like an excited nervous.

When I drive it to work, I watch the clock in anticipation of driving home. I think I got the right car :p

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like most others 'round here, I saw it and I had to have it..

Last edited:

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree Chuck
your either Committed, or your Not

This is why when i see the generic Convince me to buy a viper thread, or "im trying to decide between a Vette and a Viper" thread i respond with the vette would prob be a better choice for you. as most of our other members continue to bash the vette and try to convince the OP that the viper is a better car.
No **** its a better car. but if the OP cant figure that out for himself then...

O yea, great article!!! Who wrote it? I especially like the part where he says that many people dont even know what it is: that is soooo true. I could say that my 12 year old GTS is a pre-release 2010 Bentley Abbacadabra and they wouldnt know the difference.:lmao:

However, I Always PROUDLY say Dodge Viper :usa:

Yea, the Viper and Vette may both be American sports cars, but ive always claimed they are totally diffrent. Nobody whos going to buy a Viper questions whether they want one or not, its sortof like the old 'if you have to ask, you wouldnt understand' thing

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is my second viper---I am an ok driver but must admit when I hit it the gas at 4000 rpms this thing is a bit scary!--much scarier than my 04 vert was. I NEED to get some instruction to be honest. I want to be able to push the limits a little and want to do it safely. I LOVE DRIVING this car. It is smooth and beautiful and the attention it gets is intoxicating. I have had many different lower end sports car. M roadster-sti-is350-67 impalass-roush mustang, g35-boxster s, and only one other car turned near as many heads---my 1964 impala ss--lowered with spokes and it was gold--full exhaust--looked like it rolled straight out of compton and that is the only car I truly miss. This car still turns way more heads though. I have never desired a vetter--ever---I have seen a few z06 cars that were tastefully customized that I did like and thought looked nice---(previous generation)--not nice enough to obsess over it though. I have spent many hours obsessing over vipers though.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
. . . unless you live in North Scottsdale. In which case the gawkers sneer and ask were your Gallardo or F430 are.

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gallardos down here in south florida are more common than vipers!--I was driving next to a silver gallardo yesterday and everybody was pointing at my ssg. I however was staring at the gallardo

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gallardos down here in south florida are more common than vipers!--I was driving next to a silver gallardo yesterday and everybody was pointing at my ssg. I however was staring at the gallardo
I saw two F430 Spyders next to each other at a stop light last week - and they weren't even together - one guy turned. We have quite a few Vipers here, but when something like a Ferrari 599 passes you - that is impressive.

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where i live in Lower PA, since there are no exotics at all, ever, anywhere, a Viper would get maximum attention especially from the amish going around in their buggies

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sheesh, not even a SRT8 300 OR any Amish here. Dodge Rams everywhere and in every color although Silver is definitely the most common/popular.

3 Toyota pu's and 1 Toy FJ (?). Couple GMs, but I noticed that the only "Forever GM" guy around leased a new Dodge Ram. New cop came to town driving a lowered, customized S10. Took a week and he traded it in. GM said no credit, so he switdhed to Dodge Ram as well.

I like muscle cars so I built a BB Duster, next year there was a couple 60s Camaros and a 74 GMC short box. Bought a dozen TDs, then a couple Stealth TTs and finally a supercharged Viper GTS, then replaced that one with a faster prettier GTS. I am the KING? Lol, actually I hide my Viper and only drive it for testing or leaving town. 2 Vipers and 1 Z06 in Williams Lake. Also quite a few 550-1000rwhp Dodge Diesel Rams.

Beautiful 200 miles Highway with NO traffic cops.

Ted

joedud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Port Orange, FL (just below Daytona Beach)
Every post is right on the point.

In the Daytona Beach area, you see very few exotics, some more during events, like Race Weeks, but not many. I've only owned a Viper a few weeks, but I've been a car guy my whole life. I've been really surprised at the attention my car gets. Performance aside, it's the styling and limited numbers. This past weekend, in the minute or two it took me to pull on to a highway after a light had turned, I spotted FIVE Corvettes go by. My wife, no car enthusiast, insisted I get the Viper over a Vette. "By the way, is this new one as fast as a Corvette?" "Oh, yeah . . . "

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The artical is so true about people just stopping and watching you go by. My teenage daughter calls it the mos embarrassing car in the world because everyone stares at it.

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, the Viper and Vette may both be American sports cars, but ive always claimed they are totally diffrent. Nobody whos going to buy a Viper questions whether they want one or not, its sortof like the old 'if you have to ask, you wouldnt understand' thing
Last year I wanted a Viper but bought a new Vette instead, after a couple of months I realized what a mistake I made. I bought a new Viper last month and put the Vette up for sale and got it sold in a couple of weeks. I liked the Vette but there's just something about the Viper.

OP
OP
G

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing is I'm afraid to leave it alone for more than 2 minutes.

I had a punk kid at the mall steal 2 of my Sneaky Pete logo valve cap stems.I thought he was taking a picture kneeling beside my car with his GF and camera phone.I was about 30 feet away just coming out of the mall when I saw this.I did not realize until the next day what had happened!

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes-the only drawback---leaving it parked--it can be excruciating sometimes! Always going out from where ever you are and checking on it. Does it ever get any better??

The only thing is I'm afraid to leave it alone for more than 2 minutes.

I had a punk kid at the mall steal 2 of my Sneaky Pete logo valve cap stems.I thought he was taking a picture kneeling beside my car with his GF and camera phone.I was about 30 feet away just coming out of the mall when I saw this.I did not realize until the next day what had happened!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21