Viper GTS VS Porsche 911 GT-3

Doug GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just traded my 2000 Viper GTS in on a new Porsche 911 GT-3. I love the Viper but this Porsche blows it away. Fit and finish is awesome on the Porsche. Dealership is no comparision. Dodge dealerships are normally not very nice and not used to dealing with expensive cars. What a difference at the Porsche dealership. GT-3 is almost as quick but will out brake the Viper bad.

I know what your thinking...wow factor is much better on the Viper. Go to the Porsche web site and check out the GT-3 before you respond. The wow factor on a GT-3 is almost as much as the Viper. In case you are wondering it looks, runs and brakes considerably different than a regular 911.

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, a friend of my moms had one of his friends come over with a new GT3. I gotta say, the car was amazing, we're a Porsche family at heart still and the last one we had was a modified 993. But this GT3 just blew me away, everything from acceleration and quickness was excellent, and the throttle response was amazing, handling was razor sharp, that car could take corners like I could not believe.

The engine sound...Oh My God....that sound was intoxicating, it had one of if not the sweetest exhaust notes I've ever hear.

Porsche did an awsome job on the new GT3, brakes, handling, everything is basically perfect. Obviously if felt much tighter and well finished compared to a Viper, but it had that same kinda pure rawness that the Viper has.

There was one guy down here who ran his at the strip only one time, and he ran a 12.2, really amazing considering the power output and it doesn't have a bone in it designed for a 1/4 mile race, but it accompished it very well. Would have rather seen him tear up the track that was there also, but he didn't. One of the car mags ran a very low 12 also. I don't really care about a 1/4 mile time on a GT3 (like most people I'm sure) but it still suprised me with what it was capable of.

He just took delivery of it after waiting awhile, said something about them being held at ports b/c they didn't meet US specifications or something like that? I guess thats why a lot of people still haven't gotten theirs yet?

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have gone for the Ferrari 360 Stradale. Too bad you had to settle for second best

Oh well,

Jim

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a chance to track with one (not IN one) a few weeks ago - it was one of the best sounding cars I've ever heard.

He was fast right away - and he'd owned the car for 4 days (wasn't even broken in). He was able to brake much deeper than anyone else there - except for the spec Miatas which didn't brake much anyway. :)

Great car - never been a huge Porsche guy but pretty dang near perfect in almost all regards...it was great to see one being tracked and tracked hard.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Before I got my Viper, I was looking at the Porsches, but I don't fit in 'em. They don't make them for 6'3.5" guys.

Now I am proud to own a Viper, and consider myself a fan.

Say Doug, you are comparing the brand new GT3 braking with your 2000 GTS. To be fair, you should compare the new GT3 braking with the new Gen3 Viper! 60-0 in 97 feet! :D

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats!
Around here Porsches are almost like Vettes. I'll take my Viper for the gawk factor anyday in these parts.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Enjoy the Porsche, I couldn't quite get comfortable in one. And the two that I looked at, the headliner on the moonroof was sagging, kinda dissappointed in the fit and finish (Turbo Model). Although, fit and finish I am sure is much better than the Viper, I have loved the fit and finish on all my Audi products I have owned, VW too.

The Viper still has a better head turning value though. Especially in yellow! ;)

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well..Wanna talk about gawk facter? I see Porsches daily..All they do is stare like hungry lions at the Viper..I'm in Greece..To sum it all up.Seeing a Viper in Greece is like us meeting a UFO on any given day..

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Too bad the GT3 Club Sport model is only for sale outside of the USA. Now that would be something! The Club Sport, for those who do not know, comes with a factory built rollcage, race seats, etc.
List price on the GT3 is $99,000. How much did you have to pay for one?
Congrats! I hope you got yellow!

OP
OP
D

Doug GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got Black with Black interior. Red belts and red stitching. The car has as much gawk factor as the GTS. As some of you are aware it does not look like a regular Porsche.

Paid less tha MSRP, very fair consderinig even the big dealers only get one a year.

If I had the funds and the garage space I would have kept the Viper. I loved that car.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
The car has as much gawk factor as the GTS.

Obviously, you got a very nice car and I'm glad your happy. However, I totally disagree with your statement above. There are too many 911s and 911 variants over the past 30 years for these cars to have near the gawk factor of less than 7K GTSs on the road. Remember you also live in AMERICA where the vast majority appreciate America's top sports car the most. Additionally, anyone that knows anything about race history knows that when the GTSRs were racing nothing could beat them including Porsche...at least the couple GTS class 996s that ran. Most 911s ran in the lower GT class where they were competitive. :smirk: :usa:

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car has as much gawk factor as the GTS. As some of you are aware it does not look like a regular Porsche.

I think you are biased because the photo below of the 2003 GT3 looks like just like the 911 I saw 10 cars ago and looks like this other 911 approaching me. There is absolutely, positively no way you are going to get the head turns and finger pointing and thumbs up, etc with the GT3 as you do with the viper. My opinion, as you can see, is completely unbiased. :cool: :cool: :cool:

2003 GT3 photo:
http://www.automobilepic.com/2004-2003-porsche-911-gt3.htm

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The porsche is a nice car in every detail, and you will love being a part of the Porsche family.

The Viper is not for everyone, it is rude/crude/sqeeky/hot/etc. If you had a problem with your GTS because it is not comfy like a lexus then perhaps a Lexus is what you should have bought. If the Viper was made to the quality standards of cars like Porsche it would have cost double of what it does.

Bottom line is the GT3 is never going to give you the gawk or speed of a Viper. It looks almost as good as a 996 turbo, and I saw 10 of them yesterday driving down the 405.

The reason you are getting noticed right now is because the enthusiast realize it is a gt3, give it 1 year. To the majority of the public you are just another 911 with aftermarket wheels and wing. Soon every wanna be 996 owner is going to buy those wings and wheels and gt3 badges.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually the GT3 wheels are going onto the 2004 GT2, along with a new black carbon fiber wing. But I'm sure that many clones will follow because the cars are so close in styling.

Congrats on the GT3 AND getting one for so cheap.
A friend of mine got a bunch of goodies on his and the final price climbed to $153K out the door!

From most of the early testing that I've read about, the GT3 is almost as fast as the 911 Turbo, and it's certainly lighter as well.

The downsides for me are that Porsches are pretty commonplace here. And like the Z06, only big fans will spot the differences over a regular 911.

Plus from looking at the specs, the car makes very little power down low, so you have to really rev the engine to get the extra performance out of it.(clutch life?)

So enjoy your new car. I'm sure that you will have some great fun with it! Seriously.

Personally I wouldn't trade straight across if someone asked me (despite the difference in value) because I like how the viper feels, and how I feel driving in the Viper.

-Dean.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Snakester, I checked out a new GT3 at a recent track day/Solo I event and the car is impressive, especially the 6 piston front calipers, although too me it looks a lot like a regular 996.

I would trade my 99 GTS straight across for a GT3, but as long as I'm dreaming, I'd might as well go for a 360 Stradale, or maybe a new Gallardo.....

Jim

OP
OP
D

Doug GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am telling you this car is superior to a Viper. I have run 1:46 minute laps a Mid-Ohio in my old Viper. If you have run there you know this is fast. I am sure the GT3 will beat it.

If I wanted to drive a Lexus I would drive my wifes car.

Again, I LOVE the Viper but the GT3 is just about perfect!

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good for you Doug.

Even though I LOVE the Porsche I'd still rather have the Ferrari or Lamborghini.....

Jim

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am telling you this car is superior to a Viper. I have run 1:46 minute laps a Mid-Ohio in my old Viper. If you have run there you know this is fast. I am sure the GT3 will beat it.

If I wanted to drive a Lexus I would drive my wifes car.

Again, I LOVE the Viper but the GT3 is just about perfect!

Doug,

If a porsche factory build spec race car can beat your GTS non ACR on a race track, then I would say they got something right. Dont forget you are comparing a factory built race car to a sports car.

Do you think the GT3 will take a turbo? If so then I would say that is plain awsome for porsche to build such a quick car. But considering the fact that the GT3 is 50k cheaper than a turbo, I would bet that the turbo beats it at the track. And last time I checked the turbo and Vipers were very even on a road course, but I may be wrong.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that "wow factor" is important but there's no way a Porsche has it anywhere close to a Viper. For the GT3 they just took their 30-year-old design and skew'd it in Photoshop to make it look "new."

However Porsche's are excellent track cars. They're very will built, the brakes set the bar and the performance is up there with most, and since they're so ugly you don't really worry about slapping a wall in one.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was chatting with the GT3 owner I mentioned above at the track and actually made the comment that I wouldn't mind having a GT3 for stealth purposes.

I gawked because I knew exactly what it was at first blush so I think Russ hit the nail on the head in that regard.

It does stick out to those in the know, but I joked about desiring one for the stealthiness compared to the Viper. Taking the Viper out for a Sunday drive is a circus event each and every time. Taking a GT3 out for said drive would be a very pleasent blended in Sunday drive.

In any event, it doesn't matter one way or another - it sounds like you didn't buy the car for gawk factor with your track experience and such so that's all just candy anyhow. :)

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,

Yeah, at $100K+ it's not a casual purchase.
But I do think that it does fill the gap between the regular 911 (which is underpowered) and the 911 Turbo.

But considering the fact that the GT3 is 50k cheaper than a turbo, I would bet that the turbo beats it at the track.

Russ,

It's actually only around $15K more for the (non-X50)911 Turbo over the GT3.

The 911 Turbo weighs even more than the GenII Viper does, and the new GT3 is more than 400lbs lighter, so even though it lacks low-end power and the torque of the turbo, it probably has better track performance overall because of the weight, better gearing, and much higher redline.

You would just have to drive it like you stole it to squeeze the extra power out.

But those advantages on the track wouldn't totally translate to street driving.

-Dean.

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Speaking of Porsche 996 TT's... - I remember taking a friend out at Sears Point in my (then) new Z06. His jaw dropped, he was having so much fun. The feel, the sound, the incredible torque! His 996 TT was only a few months old, and he drove it well, but the Z06 just feels a lot more like a race car in so many ways. Now... multiply that by several times, and you have an idea of what my Viper GTS ACR is like.

Heck, there are a lot cheaper ways to get faster lap times. I go for the whole experience, myself.

Of course, if choice of interiors is your thing, then Porsche is the way to go.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the older bug-eyed 930 cars, the newer headlight style and body lines don't do it for me.

Nice cars in every respect but I love the older P-cars.

SJT97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at those pictures, it looks A LOT like a 911 with an Aero Kit added on. I love the looks of the 911 Carerra w/ Aero, but I can buy a new CLK 500 Cab (which is what I have on order) for MUCH less then a 911 and they both have 300 HP and close numbers stock. Plus, MB is a much more comfortable car for the lux/sport look.

This has been beaten' to death here, but gawk factor Porsche-to-Viper? Please. I think the gawk factor of a Porsche is comparable to my CLK BRABUS and that's about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc