Viper GTS VS Porsche 911 GT-3

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hehe...I know the feeling.

I actually have to take the entire day off when I track now because I'm pretty much a mumbling drooling fool for the 48 hours following. Like this guy, I too pretty much want to take a few years off and do nothing but road race.

Dennis sends me these vids at 2am sometimes and says "Heya - look what I did today!" Sometimes I think he does it just to spite me...

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
look at the speed vision cup, factory gt3 cup cars with 400 hp spanking the big bore cars?? Look what they do against the Comp Coupes.

Wait a minute. Weren’t the CCs required to run smaller front tires in that series because they were kicking *** so badly?

Could it be that the comp coupe isnt available as a street car? If I were the other manufact. I would be pissed that a prototype is allowed to run. They should make the srt10 run in convertable form

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 2 Vipers are really cool cars but some of you guys should get out more often, I know some of you might not believe this but there are other car manufacturers and they make some really cool cars. Torquemaster the real question is will a twin turbo viper beat a 8 second Pinto? I guess you can compare anything to anything huh?

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 2 Vipers are really cool cars but some of you guys should get out more often, I know some of you might not believe this but there are other car manufacturers and they make some really cool cars. Torquemaster the real question is will a twin turbo viper beat a 8 second Pinto? I guess you can compare anything to anything huh?
Are you serious these is life outside of Vipers? I didn't know that??? :eek:

OP
OP
D

Doug GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The track confirms it...Porsche GT3 is much faster on a road race track than the Viper. I thought the Viper was quick but the brakes and handling on the GT3 are better than my GTS. Both great cars...I do miss the Viper.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking in to that car but for 100K you can buy used 911TT and for 30K you can have a car with 750HP and AWD. GT3 TQ is so low that even the dealer told me that I would not like the car. The TQ is like 280 vs my Viper 480RWTQ. It looks good and I'm sure that on the track is super fast and with the optional big brakes stops very well. However I don't live on the track and it would be stupid to drive 100K spors car that stock 30K Subaru can take. I would not mind to have it in addition to my other cars but to swap it for a Viper...I would only consider 911TT X50 or GT2.

OP
OP
D

Doug GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the torque SOUNDS low but it isn't. The car has almost as much kick as my GTS did. 4.2 second 0-60 times are not achieved but a car that is low on power or torque. Let me tell you boys this...after owning both a Viper and this car the GT 3 would beat the Viper in EVERY catagory. If I had the money and garage space I would own both.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Say, Doug, what is your launch technique ro achieve a 4.2 second 0-60 time? Do you have to rev it until every bolt is shaking loose, then drop the clutch? If you personally have gotten 4.2 out of it, then you would know how excatly this time is acheived.

Or are you quoting a magazine? A lot of guys who quote numbers just parrot what they read. I have found it a lot harder to get the magazine results myself, even with my own car. So a lot of this performance comparison in real life comes down to driver, and cars so closely matched as the GT3 and say, a comparable Viper, (which would be the SRT, since its in the same vintage), the real life competition results on cars this closely matched, and largely boil down to the driver's abilities to extract the most out of the car.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic is right. I spent a lot of time on the Porsche site when my friend had a 911 and 99% of the 911TT guys were afraid to do a high rpm launch as they were afraid they would break something. Having drvien my friends Porsche a few times (and the S2000 he sold the Porsche to get) I can tell you that for me, low torque cars are not nearly as much fun to drive.

You should meet up with a Viper at the dragstrip and see if your seat of the pants feeling is correct. I would be supprised if the GT3 could keep up but than again, many of the kids in their low weight, low torque ricers can pull of some great times too.

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Porsches are fine cars. Been there done that. Everybody has there own opinion, but for me, the GTS is just in a class by itself. The overall esthetics and heart pounding excitement hasn't been matched by any other car I've ever owned or driven. Even after 6 years, I still get excited walking out to my garage to fire up my GTS. :cool:

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug,

You said your track times were better in the GT3. How much better?

Thanks

P.S. - I have seen/sat in a GT3. The precision of everything in the car is impressive. Personally, I think this car fits a nitch that no other does in the under 100K catagory. My only hesitation is this - Will the next generation (C6) Z06 or Viper Coupe up the performance substantially beyond the current GT3? In other words, I don't want to spend 100 g's and have another car up my track performance in 1-2 years. Not to mention one that cost 1/2 (C6 Z06). I realize they are totally different animals, but they do share one common goal. The ultimate 'street-legal' road racing package under 100K.

HOLD TYTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a regular porsche with a fixed mount wing.. personally I prefer the air cooled monsters,, 94 3.6 turbo, only way to go in a porsche for style.. On the street you're gonna get beat by the viper either way.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The overall esthetics and heart pounding excitement hasn't been matched by any other car I've ever owned or driven. Even after 6 years, I still get excited walking out to my garage to fire up my GTS. :cool:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quoteThe 381HP GT3 weighs a whopping 440lbs less than the 415HP 911TT, which is why it can keep up with it's big brother despite AWD and more torque.

[/QUOTE]

Dont forget that you can up the 996 TT to 650 HP with computer tuning, turbo upgrade, boost control, and blow offs

about $30,000 in mods... Chump change once you get past the $150k MSRP

Most of my P-car buddies dont mess around. The day they get the car it has 19" HRE's and new brembo's. Day two is at the tuner getting the 650hp engine upgrades.

And did I forget to mention how well the 996 performs in the snow??

AWD is pretty cool, although on my first test drive I about killed myself with the weight all over the rear axle.

OP
OP
D

Doug GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, Motor Trend confirms it. In this months mag they do a long term follow up on the GT3. Car that dreams are made of...read it.

Anders Dahlquist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys!
This subject is for me!
I live in Switzerland.
I have a 02 GTS with: SR Supercharger,SR Headers+race cats+Corsa exhaust, Snakeoyl suspension, Stop tech 4wheels big brake kit, Pirelli slicks.
I am the only Viper each time I show up on the track AND:
I blow off the doors of the TT, GT3, GT3 Clubsport. I am faster on top speed than the GT3 Cup(which is a pure race car, mine is street registered), but as mine has a stock interior(including AC) and the Viper is known not to be featherweight, the cup model runs circles around me in the turns.
Yes Porsches are fast and have a much better finish than Viper but for the dollar I am much faster.
And the wow factor is definitevely on my side...
Have fun.
Anders

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc