Viper GTS Vs. Porsche Twin Turbo

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a friend that is looking at a 2001 911 TT. Does anyone know how a GTS compares and any other info on the Porsche. I have never been a 911 fan and just don't have the facts on them. I really would love to hear from some one that has owned both and see how they feel.

Thanks
John

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Performancewise heres a site with stats on the 2000-2004 911 Turbo:

http://www.flat-6.net/forum/showcar.php?s=59639c2cbd9cb225742dd2968ff140fa&do=overview&car_model_id=40

some numbers:

Horsepower: 415 hp @ 6000 rpm

Torque: 413 lb. ft. @ 4600 rpm

Weight: 3396 lb
1540 kg

Similar powerlevels to the Gen 1 & 2 Vipers but every test Ive seen shows the Vipers initial loss in the 0-60 is turned into a pretty good lead by the Viper at the end of the 1/4 mile...Vipers usually about 3-4mph faster in the 1/4 mile...Gen III from tests Ive see are about even on the 0-60 and usually 4-6mph faster at the end of the 1/4...The X-50 package[factory option] makes it about even with the Gen II according to what I read on this forum...Someone ran an X-50 equiped Porshe 911 and it was even on the highway....

Im sure those with firsthand experience will offer even more info...

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SnakeBiiten's got it.

Porsche is quicker the first 3 seconds, then after that it's all Viper! :2tu:

Do we even need to discuss the LOOKS of a 911 vs GenII? :D

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 totally different cars. I have had both at the same time.

Both my cars ran from 12.0 - 12.2 stock.

Porsche=refined sports car (much more expensive)

Viper=rough around the edges sports car

Both great cars. I'm actually looking for another 01-02 Turbo now.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a friend that is looking at a 2001 911 TT. Does anyone know how a GTS compares and any other info on the Porsche. I have never been a 911 fan and just don't have the facts on them. I really would love to hear from some one that has owned both and see how they feel.

Thanks
John

I had two friends who had 996 TT Porsches. I spanked them hard every way possible. They both have Vipers now.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From spending a lot of time on the 911 boards I found that most TT owners are too afraid of breaking something to do aggressive launches. Apparently the clutch/transmission is not strong enough to stand up to repeated high rpm launches.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had two friends who had 996 TT Porsches. I spanked them hard every way possible. They both have Vipers now.
I wouldn't race Paolo if I saw him driving down Michigan Ave in a beat up, rust infested, 1977 Ford Pinto. Knowing what he does with cars it would probably have a 528 blown hemi in it! :D

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
There are a bunch of these running around southern CA, so I get to smack them around regularly. Before the Paxton, with my SRT-10, headers, K&N's and 3.55's at 500 rwhp / 535 rwtq, I beat up on them pretty badly. Now, it's over in about 3 seconds from a signal, that's about how long it takes me to get to 60. On the freeway I've only had a couple of them try me and again, not even close with the SRT-10 at it's current power level.

Many of the guys that drive these cars are very cocky and deserve the whooping they get. Once in a while they're OK.

I'd say they'd be dead even with a stock GTS but haven't had the opportunity yet with my GTS.

With heads, headers, exhaust work and some sticky tires, the GTS should make short work of them and save you about 50K.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't race Paolo if I saw him driving down Michigan Ave in a beat up, rust infested, 1977 Ford Pinto. Knowing what he does with cars it would probably have a 528 blown hemi in it! :D

TRUTH!!

:headbang:

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest, the reason I have a Viper is because I could not afford a 996TT. Of course I was very excited when I stopped at a stop light on a very safe and almost deserted road with a 996TT behind me. Just in case he was game I did my best launch with my then 3.07 gears and 19" Pilots. He was game and after we cleared the one car in sight he switched to the other lane and used the AWD to get his nose right to my tail. We went all the way through 4th so about 140 mph and he never got that front bumper past my rear bumper but it was basically a dead heat. Due to various factors my car is a bit faster now and I am sure it would do better, but even back then I hope he was chipped because he was right there (and probaby sipping coffee and talking on the cell phone the whole time! ;) ) I would still like to have a 996TT but after the Viper I might want a GT2 instead of the regular AWD (I live in the desert after all so AWD is not quite as valuable as other places with weather).

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
raced a porsche TT in my 12 second camaro.

With that AWD the porsche murdered me off the line ... bad. due to lack of tuning my camaro could not pull him, but he could not pull me either. The initial jump off the line won it for him. My viper pulls alot better then the camaro, so im sure its an easy catch up... but street racing, they might show you up.

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of those Porsche Turbos are making pretty serious power, I would not assume, even if you have mods, you will pull one. :headbang:

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From spending a lot of time on the 911 boards I found that most TT owners are too afraid of breaking something to do aggressive launches. Apparently the clutch/transmission is not strong enough to stand up to repeated high rpm launches.

I think this is more true than many might believe. A lot of guys that can afford a $100k "toy" car are afraid they might break it or wreck it. If they track it, you know they are the real deal. But on the street, you don't know. A buddy of mine has a 911 that I'm not sure has ever been over 3,500 rpm's. He babies that car so much it makes me sick. His money, his car, but still, ***?

Personally, I couldn't own a performance car and NOT test it's limits.

Tom86ZT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a note HOLD TYT (98 GTS headers, exhaust, smooth tubes, vec 2 484rwhp 543rwtq) and I (2003 Mustang Cobra 501 rwhp 484rwtq) rolled up on a 996TT sat night on the highway. We both ran him. It was ugly. I started 1 car back from the 996tt in 2nd gear, and caught him by middle of 3rd. By top of 4th I was pulling away with ease. HOLD TYT had even better results. After 2 thrashings, the 996tt owner waved us off for no more abuse.

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a note HOLD TYT (98 GTS headers, exhaust, smooth tubes, vec 2 484rwhp 543rwtq) and I (2003 Mustang Cobra 501 rwhp 484rwtq) rolled up on a 996TT sat night on the highway. We both ran him. It was ugly. I started 1 car back from the 996tt in 2nd gear, and caught him by middle of 3rd. By top of 4th I was pulling away with ease. HOLD TYT had even better results. After 2 thrashings, the 996tt owner waved us off for no more abuse.

Was the Porsche stock? If he was, with 501rwhp, I would expect you would pull just about any stock car in Production in a street race.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Years ago , Porsche was known as a basic Teutonic sports car bred for speed, handling and agility. This came at a price, as they were not always the easiest car to drive. Mastering a Porsche at high speed was a badge of skill, that many drivers never were able to merit. The car was always exciting as you needed to pay some attention to it to reap the greatest rewards. Today, though still a beautiful car in my eye, it has lost the passion of being a true drivers car. With PSM ( Porsche Stability Management ) it is almost impossible to get yourself in trouble. Head into a corner too hard and it darn near shuts down. Aggressive , fast driving on a track often has the system engaging , as there is no fail safe , accurate shut off. I fully understand the concept behind the changes , as it was a bit unruly to drive, but that was also the basis of it's passion and the thrill of owning one. To some degree the Viper is the Porsche of this Century, as it takes a steady hand, an agile foot, and a educated seat of the pants dedication to drive fast. I fully believe this is the allure of the beast , as it can spin out if you don't respect it and learn coordinated throttle pressure. The drive becomes analgous to the cowboy taming a wild horse, where a gentle hand tames the beast , but a mean hand can unleash the primitive past. What a thrill to drive a vehicle that demands respect , but rewards skill and experience. If you want a machine that will engage you with constant surprises, will amaze you with it's ability to grow and change as your driving skills change, then a Viper is in your picture. If you want a fast , fun car that has your driver's ed. teacher permanently parked in the passenger seat , then go for the Porsche.

Tom86ZT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty sure it was stock. I do have 501 rwhp but these cobra's are pigs, weighs like 3850-3900 with me in it. thats crazy. I am dead even with a aquaintance's 05 911 TT S. he has a different exhaust but don't know how much that helps those cars.

Tom

Was the Porsche stock? If he was, with 501rwhp, I would expect you would pull just about any stock car in Production in a street race.

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2000 ACR and used to also own a 97 Turbo S. Both cars were VERY similar in performance 3.9-4.0 0-60, 11.8-11.9 1/4, 190-195 top. But they did it in VERY different ways. The 911 was quiet and deceptive. You really didn't know how quick you were accelerating/going. The Viper definitely lets you know how fast you are accel/going. I liked the Viper better and sold the 911 TS. Altho the 911 was REALLY bad ass, it looked like just about every other Porsche out there, where as the Viper ALWAYS causes peoples heads to snap. Plus the 911 felt real dainty, with a tiny little shifter and tiny little steering wheel. The Viper feels like a truck, with a big huge shifter etc. You know... I like that...

You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same here. I sold my last 911 a month ago. The Viper's brutality keeps the overindulgent weaners somewhat at bay. Its this crowd that can really kill a marque for the enthusiasts. In the seventies they did it to Jaguar, now the 911. Thank goodness the Viper exists.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog