Viper hickuped

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sunday I was out with the wife running some errands with the viper. I've had it for about 4 or 5 months and put around 4000 miles on it including one 3 hour run. The car has run perfectly the entire time until yesterday. As we were running the errands a mustang kept pestering me with the speed up slow down ritual so I went to let him see and hear what a real muscle car is like. As I dropped it into third and punched it the car seemed to die almost like it shut down for a second and then all of a sudden it came back to life and ran as it always has. It was close to 98 degrees out and the car is a basic bolt on car, full exhaust, 3.55 rear, smooth tubes and filters. It also has 22000 miles on it.
I just wanted to know if this is a sign of something to come or if it was just a product of the heat. Any help will be apreciated. Thanks in advance.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry forgot to mention its a 96 GTS.

Nate - Did Brad have your PCM reflashed while they were doing the mods at time of purchase? the fuel and timing maps could be off with the heat right now.

Dave6666 knows these gen 2's pretty well. Hopefully he'll chime in and give you some ideas. If not shoot him a note.

OP
OP
N

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They never asked me about the pcm flash so my best guess is that it didn't get flashed. Thanks and I might call bernie just to make sure. Can't wait for the cookout fast too.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine did the exact came thing last night. Under full throttle recently, it'd stutter a little bit. But after starting out in 2nd and rapping it up to about 5k RPMS, throttle response completely gave up. The engine didn't shut off, but there was nothing doing between my foot and the RPMs. After what was probably a good 4-5 seconds, everything came back on. No check engine light, nothing.

The most recent change to my car is the VEC3, so I may try disconnecting that to see if things clear up.

skeetachya

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 96 does the same thing when I put any gas other than Shell V-power in it. I dont know why but it doesnt like any other fuel.

:usa:

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont have a gen II car, but on hot 90+ days if I have the air condition on my cars throttle response *****. Turn of the a/c and in about 10 sec response is back to normal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte