Viper horn problem

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems as though every third time or so that I go to blow my horn, all I get is a very quiet flat sounding noise? I can then blow the horn again and all is well?! Do Vipers have both a high tone and low tone horn? If so, its obvious one of mine has died. If not, has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Horn is sort of medium on mine. Question, did you test it while you are in the garage, or out on the road? Try to sound it while in the garage. Don't move a thing. See if it still occurs.

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Horn is sort of medium on mine. Question, did you test it while you are in the garage, or out on the road? Try to sound it while in the garage. Don't move a thing. See if it still occurs.

Horn died while driving back in March. Since I hardly ever use my horn, I never really cared too much. I'll try your garage idea tomorrow, but what difference does it make if I blow it while driving or in a garage?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just recently had my car up on the lift, and if I recall correctly, there were two horns. In fact, here's a picture that shows the plastic "bells" on my car....

You must be registered for see images

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On Gen 1 cars they are a little higher, and one on each side.

186behind_front_fascia-med.jpg

186behind_front_fascia_2-med.jpg

Thanks to a previous poster; I copied from here but didn't keep track of who took these pictures.

My horn is weak (sounds bad, doesn't it?) {two puns in a row} and when it hardly works at all during the alarm chirp, I know its time to blow hard and it seems good again for a while.

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just sounded it in the garage and I still had the same problem. It was fine most of the time, but every few blows it was just a quiet, flat sounding noise instead. I then laid on the horn for 10 secs straight seeing if maybe something would get unstuck or anything, but it didnt cure the problem. Unless someone has another idea, I'll just deal with it. Its not worth pulling the bumper off to fix a horn that I hardly use anyway and still works most of the time

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if my 2001 horn setup is the same as your 96, but it was easy to swap out to those twin Hella horns that look like speakers. I just had to jack up the car, and then take this one bracket they gave me and hack saw it in two, and space the horns apart, and I was able to use the existing wiring, all done in one hour, and sounds really cool now. It has that nice loud European sound now compared to the boring sound American cars seem to make.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if my 2001 horn setup is the same as your 96, but it was easy to swap out to those twin Hella horns that look like speakers. I just had to jack up the car, and then take this one bracket they gave me and hack saw it in two, and space the horns apart, and I was able to use the existing wiring, all done in one hour, and sounds really cool now. It has that nice loud European sound now compared to the boring sound American cars seem to make.

Where did you pick up the Hella's and how much?

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I got them from Griots garage, but a bunch of people sell the same ones. They give you one bracket that you have to cut in half, and drill a hole in the other end away from the holes already in there. You will see why, when you try to put them up there, you have to space the brackets apart at 45 degree angles, so the horns fit next to each other, yet still mount in the same place as the old horns, and still use the same wires. It sounds great compared to the wimpy stock horn. Plus it sounds much better when you beep your alarm also.

4chenry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I picked up the Hella's from Griots and put them on today. They sound worse than the air horns that were on this car. At least it was fun to tear the front end of the Viper apart.

vpr121ge.jpg

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I got them from Griots garage, but a bunch of people sell the same ones. They give you one bracket that you have to cut in half, and drill a hole in the other end away from the holes already in there. You will see why, when you try to put them up there, you have to space the brackets apart at 45 degree angles, so the horns fit next to each other, yet still mount in the same place as the old horns, and still use the same wires. It sounds great compared to the wimpy stock horn. Plus it sounds much better when you beep your alarm also.

Had a gal in my gts that laughed at the horn after being impressed with the car. Looks like I'll be getting a horn upgrade too... adds 25HP's. :2tu:

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my oil cooler lines went out and I ordered a replacement from Jon B., I mentioned I needed to replace my RH horn as well. Jon included 2 free horns with my order, so I replaced them...same problem. Must be a bad ground like someone suggested. Oh well, I'll just live with a sick sounding horn some of the time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang