Viper Insurance

T.C.z.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If this has been discussed before, forgive me. I don't have anything to offer on the technical side of Viper things, so I figured I would write what I know about. I see a lot of misinformation about auto insurance in general, and Viper owners seem to be no exception. I am an commercial insurance producer for the 60th largest agency in the USA.

There are a few things to keep in mind when you're insuring a car like a Viper. Keeping the following items in mind when you go out to purchase a policy could save you a lot of headache in the end.

1. Car Valuation. All personal auto policies are written with one of three methods of valuation: Actual Cash Value (ACV), Stated Value/Amount, and Agreed Value/Amount. With ACV, at the time of a loss, the adjuster will assign a value to your car, and barring extreme circumstances, you are stuck with the amount the adjuster assigns. Under a Stated Amount policy, many people believe the value stated on the policy is what the insurance company will pay at time of loss. This is simply untrue. Stated Value policies almost always have wording that allows the insurance company to pay you either the stated amount OR the actual cash value of your vehicle. Bottom line, at the time of a loss, the insurance adjuster assigns a market value to your car and that is the amount you're paid--not the amount stated on the policy. Agreed Amount is the pinnacle of auto insurance valuation. Not many companies will sell Agreed Amount policies, and you will pay a slightly higher premium for Agreed Amount, but unequivocally, in the event of a total loss, an Agreed Amount policy will pay out the exact amount stated on the policy. Agreed Amount policies eliminate the need for GAP coverage as well.

One great thing about an agreed amount policy is that you can also insure aftermarket modifications made to your car for their full dollar value. Many people find it surprising that a run-of-the-mill auto policy does not include their expensive modifications. Personally, I have an '01 GTS with 29K, and I have an Agreed Amount policy for the amount of $78,000. If my car were stolen, I would receive a check for $78,000 ten days later.

2. Claims Process. What's the point of even purchasing insurance if you can never get your car fixed or paid for after an accident? Ask your agent about your specific insurance company's claims process. Many insurance companies have deals with cut-rate repair shops, and in the event of an accident, no matter how major, you do not have the choice with regard to who fixes your car. The worst company about this is Progressive, but they are absolutely not the only ones. Progressive has a distribution network all over the US, and in the event of an accident, Progressive will either deliver your car to the auto shop of their choosing, or they will instruct you on where to take it. Other companies will ask that you get a minimum of three quotes, and they will take one of the two lower prices. In most instances with most carriers, you do not have any say in the matter. On the other hand, there are some really great companies out there that will let you choose who works on the car, regardless of whether or not their quote was the lowest.

3. Driver Schedule. While most Viper owners don't let a lot of people drive their cars, this is important to mention. On many auto policies from cut-rate insurance companies, there will be driver restrictions on the policies. Some only include a scheduled list of drivers, and some have restrictions such as age limits. Information on all regular drivers of your vehicle must be given to your insurance company, and in some cases, your vehicle's insurance is void if an unscheduled driver is operating your car.

4. At The Track. Many of you will know this, but your standard auto policy has exclusions for the physical damage your car sustains while participating in off road racing. This would definitely include drag strips, tracks and road coarses. Some policies will exclude your liability insurance as well, but as a VCA member, you receive special VCA liability insurance while participating in VCA sponsored events. Your VCA membership, however, does not provide any physical damage coverage for your own car, and it does not provide any liability insurance at non-VCA sponsored events.

That about does it for me. I hope someone will find this helpful, and if anyone ever has any questions, feel free to ask.

TC

Last edited:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good information T.C.z!!

I know that some of the specialty insurance companies for collectors like Grundy, Hagerty and others will cover Vipers (even new ones that aren't within the "historic" guidelines because they are considered collectible and are likely driven differently than a "daily driver"....I'd be interested to hear your evaluation as an insider of the policy restrictions associated with such policies....care to comment more?

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
T

T.C.z.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
AFL,

Those specialty insurance companies are actually very good in a lot of cases. What's more is that their premiums are very reasonable, and they will sell you an Agreed Amount policy. The only caveat is that most of those policies have pretty strict mileage limitations built into them, but they're very straightforward and easy to understand. If you're only going to drive your car 2,500 miles or so a year, a company like Hagerty can be a great way to go.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question on stated value for you: when I wrecked my '05 Viper back in January, Grundy paid me the stated value of the policy. However, they would not pay the sales tax, which is required in Florida when a total loss is determined. The Grundy policy does not talk about such a circumstance and they said they would only pay the amount I was insured for, the stated value. So, should they have to pay the sales tax? I am having the State of FL Insurance office look into it but I am not confident they will push it.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good info. I have a comment and a question. Every year, before I go to the track....road course....non-timed--instruction available event......I check with my insurance company, telling them exactly what I will be doing there and how it is run. Every year, for the last seven, they tell me I will be covered if damage occurs. I also know a guy who had extensive damage to his Viper at a like event and was covered. I know I am not covered for any timed event I do which would be autocrossing for me. Pretty tough to bang your car up autocrossing. It's also one of the reasons I've hesitated to do a Viper Days event on a road track

My question is about auto valuation. I have lots of aftermarket mods. I also have complete invoice back up for everything that's ever been done to the car(s). Is this back up worthless without an Agreed Amount?

Thanks--Steve

danfromohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question on stated value for you: when I wrecked my '05 Viper back in January, Grundy paid me the stated value of the policy. However, they would not pay the sales tax, which is required in Florida when a total loss is determined. The Grundy policy does not talk about such a circumstance and they said they would only pay the amount I was insured for, the stated value. So, should they have to pay the sales tax? I am having the State of FL Insurance office look into it but I am not confident they will push it.
I am an adjuster, although for property (houses), not car insurance. I have to say that if they paid the limit shown on the declarations page, that is very likely all they owe.