Viper interior comparison

JJS555

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey all:

I have a 2008 coupe and I absolutely love it. However, I am not very comfortable in the car as I am definitely too big for it (I'm 6'4" and about 270 lbs). My Dad says that his 1996 GTS was more roomy and more open inside to fit my large frame. I'm considering trading my 08 for a 1998 GTSR and wanted to know if this will be more of the same. I heard that there's more space in the 08 but that the seats are much bulkier so it feels tighter. Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks'

Jonathan

PS: there are no older GTS for sale near me so I can't test it myself. I, hoping someone can help!

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'3, 235 and I fit fine in my GTS, even with a helmet on. My seat is about 75% of the way back and the pedals are full forward. The only minor issue is that my left knee makes light contact with the bottom edge of the headlight switch. No seat lowering kit. I sat in a GTS with a 2" lowering kit and I felt like I was sitting down in a dark hole. I drove an '08 ACR once but I don't remember how it compared to mine.

Hope that helps.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
John get the 2 inch seat lowering kit. Should be a pretty easy install. I dont see any difference in room in a GTS. And personally i would never trade backwards.
Im about to install one in my 04, im 6'3" and im tired of the tight ride. My old car had the kit, completely different feel.
Good luck

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey all:

I have a 2008 coupe and I absolutely love it. However, I am not very comfortable in the car as I am definitely too big for it (I'm 6'4" and about 270 lbs). My Dad says that his 1996 GTS was more roomy and more open inside to fit my large frame. I'm considering trading my 08 for a 1998 GTSR and wanted to know if this will be more of the same. I heard that there's more space in the 08 but that the seats are much bulkier so it feels tighter. Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks'

Jonathan

PS: there are no older GTS for sale near me so I can't test it myself. I, hoping someone can help!

My RT/10 and GTS had more room than my Gen IV, for sure. What about getting a seat lowering kit and maybe spreading the side bolsters on the driver's seat? As much as I love my older vipers and they look amazing, they don't compare to the Gen IV as far as driving.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
any real sportscar is going to feal "tight" when your 6'4" 270lbs.

Have you considered losing some weight?

otherwise you might be better suited in one of those retro musclecars (mustang/callanger/camaro) that are more designed for our fat ass baby boomers...lol (no offense as i love my babyboomer car guys...)

Last edited:

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 2 feels like there is more shoulder room than 3 and 4 but narrower footwells with the pedals offset to the left a bit.

slowfrc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John get the 2 inch seat lowering kit. Should be a pretty easy install.

An easy install the 2' seat lowering kit is not. Thing is a complete PITA. Having said that I'm 6'5 220lbs and I fit just fine with a 2" lowering kit. Car was very tight on headroom before that. To be brutally honest, everything is going to be tight for you at 270lbs. Gonna need to shed some lbs to really feel comfortable.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
An easy install the 2' seat lowering kit is not. Thing is a complete PITA. Having said that I'm 6'5 220lbs and I fit just fine with a 2" lowering kit. Car was very tight on headroom before that. To be brutally honest, everything is going to be tight for you at 270lbs. Gonna need to shed some lbs to really feel comfortable.
I think the lift plus a vert might come in handy for this project. And some serious patience...lol

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This can also depend on your proportions: If you have a tall upper body, the lowering kits obviously would help but if you longer in the inseam dept, then the lowering kits will be of little value.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To make your interior feel much larger, consider removing the thickly padded sun visors (2 screws). Visors are unusable for tall people, so no reason to not take them out.

In addition to seat lowering kits making you fit more comfortably in the car, they allow you to look out of a lower, less distorted, section of the windshield.

Last edited:

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This can also depend on your proportions: If you have a tall upper body, the lowering kits obviously would help but if you longer in the inseam dept, then the lowering kits will be of little value.

Surprisingly, dropping the seat 2" does improve the legroom: lowering your knees (along with the rest of you) serves to free them from contact with the dash.

I'm 6'4, 250-ish, with a 36" inseam. The 2" lowering kit was necessary for me to drive my '09 ACR. If you love your Gen IV, and you're uncomfortable with the headroom and/or legroom, just lower the seat. Conversely, if the car just feels too tight for your hips/torso, then lowering the seat probably won't help.

Rich

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang