Viper Magazine Tech Notes BS

Reaction score
What a bummer to hear Herb Hibling say in his latest Viper Magazine (Winter 2002 Tech Notes) that "throttle hang" is "normal" after a owner states that his car hangs at about 1500-1700 RPM, and has to use the brakes to bring the car down to a normal idle. There is no 2 stage detent or whatever from the PCM etc, it just plain HANGS, and THIS AIN'T NORMAL. There are numerous Viper owners that would agree. Owners have complained to dealers and DC with virtually no help offered, only the same lame excuse "It's normal.They all do it". I got news for DC, THEY ALL DON'T DO IT, and its a 450 HP dangerous situation that the Dodge boys need to fix or teach their Viper Techs how to repair pronto.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
THEY ALL DON'T DO IT
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree 100% mine doesn't hang. But it has hanged before at 1700 after resetting the PCM then it goes away after a few 100 miles????? I think its how its driven??????? The problem is they can't do anything about it to change/program the PCM, so in a sense it is normal!!!!!

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine does that. I thought it was supposed to. You know keep the revs up until the car comes to a complete stop. My bimmer did that.

I would be upset if it was a automatic. Since its not. . . No worries.

Dodge should have a fix thoug for those that dont like it.

"The all do that" . . . Thats a 20 year old ferrari excuse.
smile.gif

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '98 does that a little also. I used to have an 89 Dodge van with a 360ci in it. It definately did not come off of the rmp's for a while. So if I wanted to pull ahead and then put it in reverse it would have a major clunk if I didn't wait for the rpm's to go down. This was an automatic and obviously it was not a concern with a standard. It had to do with pollution control and burning off of the excess hyrocarbons. The problem Chrysler had was with people that bought their trucks for plowing with an automatic. Everytime they would plow they would have to wait for the rpm's to go down before backing up, which was a lot. They were not a popular plowing vehicle in an automatic. There rpm's would stay at 2-3000 for seconds with the let down device they used. I would bet it has something to do with pollution control, even though none of my other cars or trucks handle it the same way.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O.K. folks, I am no expert, but here's what happened. My 1998 GTS did this frequently, until I had to replaced the front O2 sensor (Driver's side), due to another problem I was having. Low and behold, I have not had the high idle problem since. Could a strange reading from a front O2 sensor cause the Viper's to idle strangely?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by onerareviper:
O.K. folks, I am no expert, but here's what happened. My 1998 GTS did this frequently, until I had to replaced the front O2 sensor (Driver's side), due to another problem I was having. Low and behold, I have not had the high idle problem since. Could a strange reading from a front O2 sensor cause the Viper's to idle strangely? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

failed, shorted, or damaged 0-2 casue lots of grief.

Look at where they live ! Anyone who expects life beyond 25K is optimistic, altho the feds make em promose longer!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreatWhiteKAC