Viper Magazine

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viperrick:
I only agree with one of your suggestions. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's your opinion. I'm buying the mag. You asked for suggestions. Since you only agree with one of mine, and from your previous post on the matter, you seem to be satisfied with the mag. Great! Keep reading, by all means.

But if DC, who owns the magazine, as you pointed out, wants to give us something more worth reading, they'll listen to the people who are reading it, right?

I made my suggestions with the ownership in mind, and none of them are prohibitive, just because DC is the publisher--quite the contrary, they are the ONLY authority able to give the real story about the car.

I really think the magazine could be as important to viper owners as this board is, with the right "tuning".

C-ya!

spdrcrj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Maybe add a GM bashing section."

I wouldn't suggest this. Wasn't it the C5-R that put the factory Viper effort to sleep?

I'll say this though. Viper magazine is of superior quality than Corvette Quarterly with reguards to content and overall package, IMO.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viperrick:
Dr Roof, Coming up with a new product would not qualify (in my opinion). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rich, first of all, I signed up late for this year's Viper Club membership but still paid the whole $100.00. I have not gotten a single copy of the Illinois Viper Vision, much less a copy of even one of the regular Viper magazines.

Why would a new product not qualify? Would some lame cruise session qualify for your taste? How about "Autocrossing with the Daimler Chrysler V.P.'s"? I am sure that would be one of your favorites!I think the whole Viper Club experience has taken a turn for the worse. For me, it used to be fun, but now I guess it's just about how much corporate (you know what) certain people can kiss to get to become a "National Officer". That's all it is now from what I can see from my diminished participation in the Viper Club events where people play favorites in the " Good 'Ole Boy Network". I think we are getting away from what made the Illinois Viper Club one of the biggest and best clubs in the country. The Illinois Viper Club flourished largely due to the great efforts of people like Steve Ferguson and yourself. You guys did all of the ground work and made it what it is today and I have a lot of respect for that. But you have also lost quite a few of the original members. There are quite a few members who still attend who are feeling the same way I do but just have not pulled the plug yet. I am very disenchanted with the Viper Club functions at the moment and hope it can get back to some semblance of much less political B.S.

Why would a new product not qualify for a spot in the Viper Magazine? I think it would be nice for them to run an article on a different tuner every month that has come up with something new to add to the whole Viper upgrade process.

There are so many new tuners out there who are turning out high quality products, that make more reliable power for much less $$$$$$$$$ than the select few "lucky" older(some becoming extinct slowly=&gt;darwinian competition phasing them out if you know what I mean,)tuners who made a very pretty penny on everything they sold.

Maybe you did not know this, but Jason Heffner is making 750+ Corrected RWHP on a stock motor with headers and Rockers only for under 14K! Sean Roe is making 600+ RWHP with headers and rockers for under 7K! Doug Levin is making tons of supercharged power as well! Archers and Woodhouse have developed some great race setups and suspension parts for road-race Vipers. There are a lot of guys doing things that have never been done before. We hardly ever read about this type of development which I think is a shame!

==&gt; "How 'Bout those Nascar Boys" though? I can not speak for the rest of the VCA Members, but I could care a less for some goofy Nascar coverage!

In the absence of factory sponsored Viper racing, I think we should educate the Viper Magazine readers as to how many opportunities there now are for power, suspension, brake, body panel upgrades. Because the because the Heffners, Roes, Autoforms, Archers/etc... have spent their time and money to develop all this new stuff that nobody knows about. Come on let's make some changes for the better!

P.S. Where's my magazine alotment for the 2002 year?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by spdrcrj:
"Maybe add a GM bashing section."

I wouldn't suggest this. Wasn't it the C5-R that put the factory Viper effort to sleep?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The C5R is not like any Corvette that you can buy. It doesn't have the same chassis, (chassis is not even built by GM), its got a 7 liter motor that is not available from the showroom for the Corvette enthusiast, different body panels, brakes, suspension, etc. Chevrolet basically "bought" their position, with an annual operating budget of $40,000,000.00., and a car that is ALL CUSTOM. That's not a Corvette, its something entirely different. Although it looks like a C5, its performance is not available from the showroom for the Corvette buying public.

Vipers are forced to carry extra weight, and run restrctor plates, in ALMS, SCCA T1, and Grand Am actually makes 'em run a V8! The competition doesn't want our snakes to get loose!

Don't forget it was the Viper, that was the first American sports car to win at Le Mans, and it is the Viper that kicks butt on the street. Its a real man's sports car, that you can actually buy! Corvette just plays catch-up. But maybe with our founding father Bob Lutz over at Chevrolet now, maybe the C6 will be something special.

I like Corvettes, but after driving my Viper, my old C4 Vette just doesn't compare. Its apples to oranges!

And having already owned a new Vette, I just had to try something completely different, and I have been very glad that I did! Vipers are a rush!

I don't look at racing results to judge the two cars. You can tell the difference yourself, on the street!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Here's some info:

Viper Magazine is a "Corporate" publication that must adhere to specific guidelines regarding aftermarket products, etc. Mark and his staff constantly request pictures, stories, and info from the regional Presidents, as Viper Club activities fit perfectly into what the publication is all about. Please feel free to send any and all articles directly to JR Thompson (Viper HQ)! He will surely appreciate it.

...now,

VCA Notes, our National Newsletter, was designed to "fill in the gaps", both timewise (in between Viper Mag issues) and editorial-wise (we can print gossip, vendor new products, etc). As I pass the torch to Steve Wedel (new Secretary), there will be a slight delay with the next issue, but let it be known that you can send dyno numbers, tests of products, fun stories, and of course, all the Presidents are requested to send ALL their future events to be listed in the "Events" section to be included in the next issue (send it to me, or Steve)

Since "editorial to press" time is much less, the issue can include much more timely info, and can include aftermarket product test, etc, which might be a bit offbase for Viper Magazine since it is a "product" of Dodge.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo, In responce to your question I did want to get back to you with some information based on facts. I spoke to Bill Sampognaro and I have a clear picture of what happened with your membership. You are correct that you paid your membership late. I believe it was in late August at the Lincoln-Way High School autocross event which qualified you for the trip to Detroit and the event with the DC executives. However you never provided any paperwork. I believe you were to forward that paperwork to Brian so it could be attached to your payment and forwarded onto Viper Headquarters. Since nothing was received by the end of September the local club felt that it would be best to process your membership for the 2003 season so you can get the benefits of an entire year of membership. Please contact Bill or Brian to get this paperwork filed ASAP. In the future this is something which you should be forwarding to Viper Headquarters directly during the renewal period at the end of the year (now). I will send you a PM with additional information.

I am suprised that you feel the way you do about the local club and the activities being provided. In years past you were an avid supporter of all the racing events, the dyno days and social events like the parties and Detroit Dream Weekend. I know that those same events are still being held along with some new ones to add variety. You stated that there seems to be an "Old Boys Club". I don't know what you mean? I feel that the past and current leadership do everything they can to bring additional benefits to ALL the club members. Be that on a local or National level.

I agree that there are many new products which are being introduced almost monthly to the Viper community. Dodge (daimlerchrysler) has provided a first class publication for those vendors to advertize in. Only customers can vouch for the reliabity, customer service and the product. Dodge could be opened up to some liability by showcasing articles on specific products which they have no experiance with. By the way many of the products which you spoke of would immediately void your warrenty. If they were to state that in the article do you think it would benefit the tuner?

Paolo you have my e-mail address so please feel free to contact me directly.

blkz06vette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody want to give me (or sell) me some of their issues ? Since it seems like nobody likes them or are done looking at them. I have been curious about this mag and was just wondering what it contains.

I get all the Corvette rags and Corvette Magazine and Corvette Quarterly are top notch, IMHO.

Thanks,

Dave
01 Blk/Blk Z06
Still looking for a 96 or 96 Blue/White GTS....
frown.gif

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Magazine use to be available on some newstands. Ussually at the big bookstores like Boarders, K&B maybe Crown. Haven't checked lately but they were a few years ago.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I just ordered ALL the back issues, from the time I became a VCA member, all the way back to the first issue. I want all the hype! Gimme high gloss paper, and all the gossip!

Oh, yeah. It would be nice if there was more technical stuff in there, like computer aided casting processes for the SRT, (I had to read that in some other rag) and other stuff about the inside workings of the car craft.

blkz06vette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never seen Viper Mag. on any newsstand. That is why I was inquiring here. I would definitely buy one if it was available at Borders etc.. Getting tired of reading the same mags. Want to learn about Vipers now....

Anyone ?

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic, Just a few corrections. The Viper was not the first American built car to win at LeMans. The Ford GT-40 was to the first to win overall honors. I don't know if any of the Cunninghams ever took a class win? Many privateer Corvettes have competed at the 24 Hrs. but never garnered a win. It is in the Trans-Am that the Cinjo Viper ran a V-8. Trans-Am is based on the V-8 formula. Also the GTS-R's are loosely based on a production chassis. Actually ony the first 5 cars are close to a modified stock frame. The cars which began winning were highly modified frames. Look at how wide the front track is on the later cars. The only way to be competitive was to go to the limit of the rules. Bodywork may look stock but there are major dimensional differances if you look closely. Granted it is not as outrageouse as the Covettes bodywork. I never saw a light arrangement like I see on the racecar. And whats up with the 7 liter motor? Where can I go to a Chevy dealer to pick-up one of those in a street car?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blkz06vette:
I have never seen Viper Mag. on any newsstand. That is why I was inquiring here. I would definitely buy one if it was available at Borders etc.. Getting tired of reading the same mags. Want to learn about Vipers now....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

VIPER magazine is indeed available at Barnes & Noble booksellers. If you don't have one near you, LMK and I can see about picking you up the latest edition there...

Chris

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like someone needs to create a separate limited production quarterly Viper publication. Problem is getting enough cash flow to make it work.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Vic, Just a few corrections. The Viper was not the first American built car to win at LeMans. The Ford GT-40 was to the first to win overall honors. I don't know if any of the Cunninghams ever took a class win? Many privateer Corvettes have competed at the 24 Hrs. but never garnered a win. It is in the Trans-Am that the Cinjo Viper ran a V-8. Trans-Am is based on the V-8 formula. Also the GTS-R's are loosely based on a production chassis. Actually ony the first 5 cars are close to a modified stock frame. The cars which began winning were highly modified frames. Look at how wide the front track is on the later cars. The only way to be competitive was to go to the limit of the rules. Bodywork may look stock but there are major dimensional differances if you look closely. Granted it is not as outrageouse as the Covettes bodywork. I never saw a light arrangement like I see on the racecar. And whats up with the 7 liter motor? Where can I go to a Chevy dealer to pick-up one of those in a street car?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good points! I learned a lot from your post. Wish I knew more before I open my mouth, but its just not in the stars!

I was born under the little known Zodiac sign of "Openus mouthus, insertu footus"..!

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gee wiz Bob (stiffler) such a small post such a large response. What happened to your pics'? maybe next issue?

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo, In responce to your question I did want to get back to you with some information based on facts. I spoke to Bill Sampognaro and I have a clear picture of what happened with your membership. You are correct that you paid your membership late. I believe it was in late August at the Lincoln-Way High School autocross event which qualified you for the trip to Detroit and the event with the DC executives. However you never provided any paperwork. I believe you were to forward that paperwork to Brian so it could be attached to your payment and forwarded onto Viper Headquarters. Since nothing was received by the end of September the local club felt that it would be best to process your membership for the 2003 season so you can get the benefits of an entire year of membership. Please contact Bill or Brian to get this paperwork filed ASAP. In the future this is something which you should be forwarding to Viper Headquarters directly during the renewal period at the end of the year (now). I will send you a PM with additional information.

I am suprised that you feel the way you do about the local club and the activities being provided. In years past you were an avid supporter of all the racing events, the dyno days and social events like the parties and Detroit Dream Weekend. I know that those same events are still being held along with some new ones to add variety. You stated that there seems to be an "Old Boys Club". I don't know what you mean? I feel that the past and current leadership do everything they can to bring additional benefits to ALL the club members. Be that on a local or National level.

I agree that there are many new products which are being introduced almost monthly to the Viper community. Dodge (daimlerchrysler) has provided a first class publication for those vendors to advertize in. Only customers can vouch for the reliabity, customer service and the product. Dodge could be opened up to some liability by showcasing articles on specific products which they have no experiance with. By the way many of the products which you spoke of would immediately void your warrenty. If they were to state that in the article do you think it would benefit the tuner?

Paolo you have my e-mail address so please feel free to contact me directly.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rich, thanks for the PG13 version for the Viper Board, but here is the private message you sent me for all to see. I guess you are not as swell of a guy as you would lead people to believe!

Paolo, the fact of the matter is that you would have never paid your membership untill you found out you qualified for the Detroit trip. But when it was found you couldn't go because you weren't a current member you handed over a membership fee with no paperwork. It's not Bills, Brians or my responcibility to mail in your membership but they will do it once you send in the paperwork. I don't know what your problem is but you are not the victim here. So don't try to BS everyone into thinking you are. If you have a problem make a phone call and find out what is going on. The Board is not your private ***** session

Rich, nobody's saying I am a victim here. I just wanted to know what happened to my magazines and also to comment on the changes that I feel are taking place in the Illinois Viper club that the people at the top might not be aware of from their mighty perspective. That's all. I know we do not agree about certain things and that's what makes the world go around. Like I said before, I have a great deal of respect for you and all of the people who have worked hard and continue to do so to make the Illinois VCA one of the best clubs in America! I am sure you guys will not be missing a guy like myself who posts things like this instead of calling you on the phone! Remember, you cannot please all of the people all of the time. Just appeal to the masses and make the club grow and grow. If it does not go the way I would like it to go I will go elsewhere and you will be rid of me! Just remember, it's a win-win situation for you and the good old boys! Paolo

OP
OP
S

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mopar Steve:
Gee wiz Bob (stiffler) such a small post such a large response. What happened to your pics'? maybe next issue?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I talked to the Editor and he said my pics would make the March issue. At the time he received my pics the current issue had already been formatted. Thanks for thinking to look though.