Viper mileage whining

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a plaque on my office wall underneath a fantastic oil painting of the racing sail boat "America". The plaque reads..."A ship in the harbor is safe, however that is not why ships were built"

I have that same saying on a photo collage poster of my viper at the track

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mileage on any given car is one of the key factors in determining the value of any car. It is certainly not the only factor but it is a key factor. The number of owners debate is also another topic that's been beaten to death. The basic principals of determining a cars value have been consistent for years. Unless someone sees a shift in that or they're just not informed it's all a moot point.

Condition
Mileage
Number of Owners
Collectibility
Rarity
History
Originality
Desirability
Availability and Demand
Celebrity

Things that are not big factors for buyers are the owner's sentimental value and perceived worth.

Last edited:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You forgot the "I just gotta have it!".

A car that fills out a collection, or reminds a person of the "good old days", is their most desirable color, or sounds just right also will make it worth more to an emotional buyer.

If your wife/GF likes it, and encourages you to buy it that will bring more $.

If it is a warm sunny day, the Vert will bring the bucks. On a cold, snowey night, the 4WD with seat heaters will bring out the wallet.

Two kinds of buyers. The cold, inpersonal gotta think only about the money people, and those that are willing to trade some $ for a real memory maker : >)

Vipers appeal to both. There are some great values out there right now, with some pretty fantastic used Vipers going for the price of a loaded Camary.

There are also some real appealing Vipers that can change the life of the owners. The cars come with access to one of the most desirable club and support systems of any cars.

I know that when I push the start button, and that V-10 comes alive, it brings me more joy than a bag of money under the mattress.

The ViperNation is real. It is alive, and it offers life changing experiences those lucky enough to step up.

As the old beer commercial said...Grab the Gusto.

More trendy is "Life is Good"

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with Terminator. This banter does impact prices. But then again, asking everyone to just fuggetabout it and not post this crap here is not likely to succeed. Those who can afford to keep 'em through this slow period, do so!

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I think that a low miles performance car probably has not been "hammered" as often as a high mileage car. This fact would play into a decision for me--just saying--Dave

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i cant speak for others, but when looking at a car to buy the miles isnt so much the issue but the ASKING PRICE for the given car is.
generally if youre looking at a pristine clean car with 7k miles and you look at a clean car with 25k miles, i think many folks would opt to buy the one with less miles comparably priced.
when shopping for a car or anything else everything has a price point.

Bingo. Mileage and asking price go hand in hand.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What bothers me more is the same predictable line of "a car is only worth what a buyer will pay" when discussing car valuation. The ViperNation does IMPACT what the buyer THINKS s/he is willing to pay. I am grateful not to be selling because I can't stand some of the whining and some people's almost vehement belief that the cars are not worth much. They keep jumping in every thread on price to discuss negative aspects of the 'value' (whether it's miles, or colour, or year etc).

That DOES impact how people view this car. When people hear I bought my car with 14,800 miles and can't believe how low that is for a 2000 I am reminded of how the general world views the car. They think the car is new despite what many people on here would think would be deal breakers since there are some swirl marks. The color is red...but it is an ACR. And solid red makes the car 1 of 35. So I really don't care what people think the car is worth and if I EVER had to sell it; it would not be on the VIPER website because of this crap. I would sell on Hemmings or AT and use my own negotiating and viper history facts to correct the flawed logic that people will be calling about ad nausea due to viper enthusiasts trying to either satisfy the fact that they just sold their car and are bitter, cognitive dissonance over their own purchase (reinforcing one's own choice by disliking another choice that may inherently be better), or are just plain negative people.

At events or meets these "threads" aren't a topic? A clean solid red that just got done getting headers and a professional restoration detail will be the talk of the group. So this is really just an internet problem that HAS TO BE FIXED.

Now the viper is in the 40s on KBB and there are still people crying how the car should be worth "no more than 30k" (despite it being a GTS). UNfreaking believable.

You are correct and you have a very very good grasp of a signficant problem. At one time, my car was being valued because of a divorce. Right prior to the hearing, some anonymous person comes on this website, posts a "what do you think the car is worth" thread and then there was an attempt to use the valuations presented on here to screw me over financially. All by unknowledgeable or "interested" parties.

Ever since that day, I have refused to respond to the valuations question because it is next to impossible to see what the information is being used for. Screw over a member or enthusiast on here? It should be a common courtesy extended by the members or less intelligent "enthusiasts" on here. Most, however, can't resist the temptation to open their mouths.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So they valued the car so high that you got a lesser share of the other assets ? I would think if you want to keep your Viper in a divorce a $1 value would be the best case scenario for you.

You are correct and you have a very very good grasp of a signficant problem. At one time, my car was being valued because of a divorce. Right prior to the hearing, some anonymous person comes on this website, posts a "what do you think the car is worth" thread and then there was an attempt to use the valuations presented on here to screw me over financially. All by unknowledgeable or "interested" parties.

Ever since that day, I have refused to respond to the valuations question because it is next to impossible to see what the information is being used for. Screw over a member or enthusiast on here? It should be a common courtesy extended by the members or less intelligent "enthusiasts" on here. Most, however, can't resist the temptation to open their mouths.

GTS Warp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hilarious Dave! Friend of yours? We were more concerned with history, condition and maintenance rather than mileage. Found a sweet one with 21K on the clock. Looking for #2.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to see how less i could put miles on my cars..now its a contest on how many i can put on..glad i grew otta that.1