Viper outruns the ZR1

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. You would think that SOMEONE at C&D would know how to properly prounounce "MURCIÉLAGO".
2. You would think that SOMEONE at C&D has higher than a 3rd grade reading ability.
3. You would think that SOMEONE at C&D would be capable of editing a video.
4. You would think that SOMEONE at C&D would be able to DRIVE A FRICKIN' CAR!!!

Cool numbers and all, but the video left me without a tent in my shorts.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Video starts off with the idiot stating that all 600+hp cars are on the 'endangered" list because of fuel. I understand that the Zr1 is OK on fuel mileage while the Viper gets 22mpg which is about 40% better than some SUVs and more than 100% better than the mileage I was told the Murci gets. Documentarian should get new researchers!!!

Well at least he mentions that the Viper gets the best mileage, but didn't talk any numbers. Viper wins MILEAGE and therefor should be the least endangered.

Viper is cheapest of all 600+hp cars.

He writes a stupid statement that cars will get smaller motors for more fuel efficiency??? The Viper engine is LARGEST and gets the best mileage out of all test cars so an intelligent narrator would probably have asked why the smaller engines all got worse mileage???

The idiot compares the highest tech, most advanced, most powerful cars ever built to DINOSAURS??? What kind of statement is that?

This is Car and Driver??? I think the guy must have gotten off the GM boat and I'm going to supposed that he's saying that the ZR1 will be discontinued next year. I don't see Mercedes, Lamberghini, Ferrari, Porsche or Dodge stopping production of their most advanced cars ever. I can see the PT Cruiser and HHRs going down the tubes. No one will miss them anyway. But saying supercars are done is like saying the Rich people of the world are going to give half their money to the poor. It just will not happen.

Dodge was the only normally aspirated car tested. When I think of a Twin Turbo Viper I think 850hp set on "vette" mode and can't imagine it. I keep laughing out loud and getting choked up trying to imagine how far behind that vette would be. GM, AMG, and Lamborghini had to use forced induction and barely passed the Viper in hp.

I guess the rags wouldn't want MY articles because I would be stating good news and not spouting "death, dinosaurs, end, etc." BS. If the writer doesn't like supercars he should be the Honda writer guy. Maybe he could write a good story about the Saturn Sky? I hear that little sports car is being discontinued? Maybe all Saturns? The ZR1 should be making GM money, if they can sell enough with those $35K car interiors in them. They sell for 20% more than a Viper and Viper makes money.

I would have written that GM should install a premium interior in their MOST Expensive car and double the price to $250,000 since they beat their car may be close to as good as the Mercedes. Viper should just charge $250,000 because it never came with a $35K car interior in it and is sooooo fast (World's fastest Road car). Then dodge and GM wouldn't be going under.

TEd

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The vette wins becaues it's cheap? The Viper is cheaper and doesn't rate the el-cheapo interior comment.

Ted

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. You would think that SOMEONE at C&D would know how to properly prounounce "MURCIÉLAGO".
2. You would think that SOMEONE at C&D has higher than a 3rd grade reading ability.
3. You would think that SOMEONE at C&D would be capable of editing a video.
4. You would think that SOMEONE at C&D would be able to DRIVE A FRICKIN' CAR!!!

Cool numbers and all, but the video left me without a tent in my shorts.

Isn't that why you take them blue pills? :D

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone knows C&D are just paid advertisers for Corvette. They always win in a comparo and always show higher #s than in other mags.

Ted, Webster is the narrator and is C&D's head technical editor, so he should know about what he is saying, he just gets paid not to talk back.

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pshhh...more C&D garbage. They are making it very obvious that there are no actual testing parameters, and they award the vette 1st place reguarless of what happens. Total trash and should not be published...i could go on and on

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C&D are simply a bunch of idiots. I feel sick in my stomach everytime i hear their biased/stupid backwards opinions. What a bunch of losers. Ive never known anyone to degrade cars as much as the rags. Seriously, they have a damn Murciealgo and a Viper, and they for reasons i cannot yet understand are alll over the ZR1. Im going to go take a advil

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of a total dumba** idiot who claims to be into cars, drives a godd*m Dodge Viper and bi*ches about it? Seriously? What my Mom? Probably my grandmas might? How can you be driving a Viper and sit there, like a godd*m pansy and bi*ch about the "bad interior" and the "bumpy ride"...pshshhh

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive said this years ago. Vipers will never win comparos again. They will never return to the lovefest the Automedia had with the GTS. The GTS used to routinely win over everything back in the 90's dispite its comparitively crude interior and rough ride. Viper has lost to Mustangs in comparos folks:omg:. The Automedia is just as corupt and biased as the Political media. You dont get cold hard facts and results, you get the testors or editors biased or paid opinion.

Well at least we finally got a test between the ZR1 and Viper. We probably should be happy that GM finally allowed a head to head. Viper killed it in acceleration which is absolutely amazing but you have to give the ZR1 credit for producing some astounding braking distances [some 20ft shorter than the Viper] all with better comfort etc. Thats the Vipers achilles heel with these limp wrist testors we have nowadays.

The ZR1 offers Viper performance with much better daily driver ability in the eyes of most so a Viper will never win overall victory over any of its competition out there. With the Green ****'s out in full force as well its a doomed car imho. It seems like they have relagated the Viper as the poster child for everything thats wrong with the automotive industry lol. Yet here it is getting the best gas milage out of this quartet. This is why I dont "read" car mags anymore I just scan the test results and throw it back on the shelf. Wish they had a roadcourse test though. Wouldnt it be great if the Viper beat it in acceleration and roadcourse? No need to get out the ACR for the roadcourse then lol.

kman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's almost humorous the double standard that continues. The big deal with the zo6(incredible performance) was that it was cheaper than the viper. Lets go real world and I think you can get two o8-o9 vipers for one zr1 vette and have almost equal performance.......hmmm, I missed that in the article.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That test makes no sense. The Vette wins because of its drivability and price so then why does the Viper come in 4th if you consider the price? As for performance, the Viper will outperform the lambo and Merc. in most every catagory.

If the test is price biased and based on performance, the Viper is first or second. If it performance alone, it should be first.

At least the Viper outruns the vette.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
we all know the 08 viper should of placed 2nd place,murci deserved to be 1st and zr1 should of been 4th