Viper powered Jeep

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks cool, but I think a total waste of an engine. There is no offroading that necessitates ( even in dreams ) a Viper engine. A V8 can produce as much power and weigh less maybe...not worth it me.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks cool, but I think a total waste of an engine. There is no offroading that necessitates ( even in dreams ) a Viper engine. A V8 can produce as much power and weigh less maybe...not worth it me.

So what is the point of a viper engine in a car if a V8 can produce as much power and weigh less? The Jeep actually did rather well in the top truck challenge a few years ago. As for a offroad truck needing power, you are kidding me if you don't think they need it. Perhaps not for rock crawling but any mud bogging requires a lot of power.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just don't see the purpose ( other then for show ) of a Viper engine in a Jeep. The Viper was born and bred for high performance with a V10. it can produce tw and hp easily that other engines have to be " modded " to reach. Yes, mud boggin does require HP. But I can go muddin in my 150hp Ranger. People go all the time with 4cyl engines. granted, there is deep mud and deep puddles, but nothing a lift and tires, even on my truck, couldn't fix. Plain and simple, other then for show, it's a waste.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can not do any serious mudding with a 150 hp ranger. Sorry. I don't care what tires or lift you have. You can splash around a little in the kiddie pool but anything deeper and you are toast. If I remember right, the viper/TJ had 36x14 inch boggers. 150 hp would just choke up in deep thick mud with those tires. Every year the same magazine has the top truck competition and power almost always comes into play for many of the events.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To a point yes. I still say that a Viper engine ( size - power - weight ) IS POINTLESS in a Jeep. Drop in a 250hp - 300hp engine, and a Jeep and you can do mudding, crawling, " whatever " you want. 400 or 500hp is just a whole lot of wasted horsepower. Mud only gets so deep ya know.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can not do any serious mudding with a 150 hp ranger. Sorry. I don't care what tires or lift you have. You can splash around a little in the kiddie pool but anything deeper and you are toast. If I remember right, the viper/TJ had 36x14 inch boggers. 150 hp would just choke up in deep thick mud with those tires. Every year the same magazine has the top truck competition and power almost always comes into play for many of the events.

I agree.