Viper prices

blue01gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just wondering where some of you see the viper prices going in the future, year 2010 through 2015, mainly the GTS because it had the shortest run so far, and its my favorite. im asking this because i was looking at a 2000 black w/ silver gts for only $40,000 will this car be half that in 5 yrs or twice that?

Last edited:

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think anybody knows how the Viper market will play out in the future. You'll see lots of speculation, opinions and theories following my reply. One of the problems I see right now is that there are a few people out there with money to throw that buy these "luxury toys". They get tired of them, decide to buy something else so to make room in their garages and not have to bother with finagling over price, sell their Vipers at ridiculously low prices just to get rid of them. It doesn't bother them too much if they end up loosing a few thou. Great for the prospective buyer but pretty well screws the market up for anyone else trying to get a decent price for their Vipers. Prospective buyers see a couple of these steals on the internet and will hold off buying their dream car thinking that if a couple sold for those prices, they'll be others. And there usually are. In addition and on the flip side, the current economy compounds the problem even further. People who are over-extended on their finances, losing their jobs etc. who need to get out from under their Vipers quick in desperation will sell them dirt cheap, thus driving the market down even further. Will all of this last into 2010 and beyond? Who knows.

And then we have the rumors of the end of the Viper in the next year or two. So in other words, it's a crap shoot at best as to what the Viper market will be in the future..................................................I think I'll just keep mine. Unless I lose my job and my wife takes me for everything! :crazy2::bolt:

OP
OP
B

blue01gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the feed back, i have wanted a viper all my life so it wouldn't really bother me if i took a hit in 5 years but i would love to be able to trade up in a couple of years to a used srt acr so hopefully it will go up but either way i will be happy to own one

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hang in there and good luck!. It's good that you are looking now. That way you have a good feel for what the market is and what a fair price should be when you finally make the plung.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that I am any expert but I watched the market for many months before I purchased
I still watch daily and I am not in the market for a car.
I overpaid a bit for my car,although my car had an impeccable history with no glitches no stories and no unanswered questions about where the car had been,and low mileage.I insisted on a car with less than 4000 miles researched dealer where I bought THANKS TO PREMIER SPORTS CARS
Viper Tech inspection
My own inspection
Carfax
Dodge Vin check (courtesy of THE WIZARD)
Input from my local VCA and this forum
Am I ANAL,you bet I have bought several HIPO cars and found a few surprises.Surprises are not fun or cheap on a Viper.
When the time is right and you find the right car it will be better than you fantasize about
Good Luck

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO the Gen II's have reached bottom. Matter of fact, they reached bottom about 3-4 years ago. Sure, the prices have fluctuated a few grand up or down, but pretty much stayed constant. They're only going to stay put or go up from here.... How fast they appreciates is up for debate, especially considering the unknown future of the Viper.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya shouldnt buy a car like a viper for the possible (and very unlikely) rise in value its gonna have. buy it, drive it, enjoy it.

THATS IT

K-80-123

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Barrett Jackson Auctions say the next big mopar that will become collectible will be the Viper.....we shall see.....but I hope so.

OP
OP
B

blue01gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thank you to all, i have been looking for a couple of months now i love all vipers and would be happy with any one of them but i have narrowed it down to a GTS hopefully i will find one soon.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO the Gen II's have reached bottom. Matter of fact, they reached bottom about 3-4 years ago. Sure, the prices have fluctuated a few grand up or down, but pretty much stayed constant. They're only going to stay put or go up from here.... How fast they appreciates is up for debate, especially considering the unknown future of the Viper.

I would agree.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You say you've always wanted one, and If you can afford it now (especially w/out having to finance), go for it. It won't cost much, except for opportunity cost of not having the $ invested elsewhere. See where the market leads, take excellent close care of it (WITH RECORDS), and you'll do fine if/when you sell. Tomorrow may never come and prices are relative, so enjoy it while you're able.

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just wondering where some of you see the viper prices going in the future, year 2010 through 2015, mainly the GTS because it had the shortest run so far, and its my favorite. im asking this because i was looking at a 2000 black w/ silver gts for only $40,000 will this car be half that in 5 yrs or twice that?

honestly the car is to much fun to worry about what it will be worth in 5-10 years...as long as it in good condition, should stay the same maybe down a little:dunno::rolleyes:

OP
OP
B

blue01gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes im sure it is a lot of fun, I cant wait to have a viper of my own its my dream car, I was just a little curious thought a lot of people would think it was going to go way up because of the chance of it not being made in the near future

Last edited:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that I am any expert but I watched the market for many months before I purchased
I still watch daily and I am not in the market for a car.
I overpaid a bit for my car,although my car had an impeccable history with no glitches no stories and no unanswered questions about where the car had been,and low mileage.I insisted on a car with less than 4000 miles researched dealer where I bought THANKS TO PREMIER SPORTS CARS
Viper Tech inspection
My own inspection
Carfax
Dodge Vin check (courtesy of THE WIZARD)
Input from my local VCA and this forum
Am I ANAL,you bet I have bought several HIPO cars and found a few surprises.Surprises are not fun or cheap on a Viper.
When the time is right and you find the right car it will be better than you fantasize about
Good Luck

I am in the same boat as you and have no regrets. I love the car.

I also think that they will be going up in prices due to supply and demand since they are getting farther and fewer apart and are classic styling and high HP similar to the 60's muscle cars, BB Vettes and Cobra's of the past. This is not the reason I bought mine so if it does not happen no big deal.

Actually I don't think it is if it will happen but more like when it happens. Only problem is will it be in 5 years or 25 years. That is the only uncertianty. :dunno:

I wouldn't wait and bet on them dropping too much more if I was looking for one. I think best case, or worst case scenerio depending on which side of the fence you are on is they will continue to remain stable with the low mile rare cars continuing to get top dollar.

Look at the Sapphire ACR Toby bought from Premier. Not sure exactly how long they had it but it appeared to sell awful quick from what I saw since it wasn't on their site last time I looked and is now gone and I check all the sites pretty often.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

While few, including myself, would argue that the GTS is sexier than the RT/10, traditionally, open-roof cars have been more collectable than their fixed-roof brethren. Also, the GEN2 RT/10 had about HALF the production #'s of the GTS. Meaningless in today's market, obviously, since the equivalent GTS will bring more $$ than the RT/10.

Personally, considering its rarity, the attention the car still brings, its undated styling, still-relevant performance, and the fact that a new one sells for $90k, I'm surprised to see ANY good '96-up Viper sell for under $45k.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I plan on wearing mine out in a few years and buying another so the price is pretty mcuh irrelevant until I go for another one.

Viper are extemely popular but while they're as many for sale as there is now the prices are low.

If Vipers ever become 'normal' on the market and sell for under $20,000 I'll actually think about buying a "spare" for later.

Ted

Quadcammer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anybody think its unrealistic to expect a 99-02 RT/10 with less than 30k miles for around 40k?

im having a hard time finding a good one.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few months ago I found my '98 RT/10 with 11k miles and new PS2's for under $40k. I'd venture to say you could easily find a nice RT/10 with under 30k miles for less than $40k any day of the week.

Quadcammer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe im just being too picky about color/interior.

no red or yellow for me. Im only looking for blue/gray/black with cognac.

Quadcammer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
of course. they were available between 99 and 01/02. Obviously some years have different color options.

can you please see my other thread about bakersfield owners, cause there is a nice looking 01 in that town. Maybe you could check it out for me.

Hoop

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You need to put it in perspective. Any new car you buy for 40K (and that's not going to be a very cool car) is going to be 20K in 5 years. I had a Mercedes CL600 that was 129K new ('01) and I bought it with 34K miles in 06 for 42K...

In general, these cars are not going to go extremely low. They are cheap to maintain and unique. The european cars get killed because normal people cant afford things like the 6K to replace the hydraulic "shocks".

Like one of the guys higher in the post, I overpaid slightly for mine (49K for an '01 GTS Steel Grey - 9800 miles) but it wasn't worth saving the 10K to me and hope I got a solid car.

Simpel rule... a car is not an investment it is a liability, not an asset. Even the very highest valued collector car appreciations don't touch the highest appreciating stocks in the same period and you've got more of a chance of hitting the right stock... so, if you want fun, buy a viper. If you want investments, buy stocks (VMW... is my recommendation) :)

musicncars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to put it in perspective. Any new car you buy for 40K (and that's not going to be a very cool car) is going to be 20K in 5 years. I had a Mercedes CL600 that was 129K new ('01) and I bought it with 34K miles in 06 for 42K...

In general, these cares are not going to go extremely low. They are cheap to maintain and unique. The european cars get killed because normal people cant afford things like the 6K to replace the hydraulic "shocks".

how about parts for the viper that become obsolete? i see those cars getting down to the teens.....if there are no parts to upkeep them, how can you? just like old camaros and especially challengers and cudas, until you had restoration parts, they all tanked.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If fuel price stays about the same I would say it should be just about the same price +/- 10%

Tell me what the price and availability of premium fuel will be, and I could give you a better estimate.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the low miles mint condition examples will always get a premium while the well used versions will continue to fall in price.

and the price gap between the two is widening.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From our local (multi state) Auto Trader/Muscle, Classic & Sports car trader magazine:

01 GTS 5,900 miles $50,000
01 RT/10 7,254 miles $57,000
00 GTS 20,000 miles $45,000
97 GTS B/W 7,700 miles $54,000
96 GTS B/stripe delete 24,500 miles $48,900

While the above are asking prices, not sales prices, I think the point is that low mileage means a lot. Any Gen II that can be found in the low $40's range, with reasonable mileage and NO STORIES is an anomaly, not the rule. Over time, the standard of what is considered "low mileage" will rise.

IMHO: If someone wants to buy a sub 10,000 mile car and make it a garage queen, their value will probably hold rather steady for the foreseeable future. If they start racking up mileage, the value will decline. Long term, I believe, the cars will do very well in the collector community. Why? Because they are in video games, toys, Hot Wheels, even Easter baskets at Wal-Mart, now. As the younger generation ages, Viper's will become their Cuda's, GTO's, etc. The car they wanted as a kid and will eventually have.

Sandy G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sure seems that this potential market price down the road is what makes for all the " garage queens"! If owning a Viper is not for the thrill or driving it, and getting the rush, it is a shame to see them just sit. When ever I take a ride I am getting something for my money! That is what counts to me. IMHO

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang