Viper Project finally Complete (pics) Thanks Tator & Scott at EMS

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well we finally finished building my Gen I motor back stronger than before. We did a complete engine rebuild bottom to top.
It all started by me spinning a main bearing back in September last year. Small tapping coming from motor thought it was a valve or lifter tapping. Removed the oil pan and it was clear I spun a main bearing. Don't ask me how, I am very very thorough with regular oil changes and only use mobil one. Car had 45K miles on it. Also had 3 bad motor mounts, engine was just a tad crooked in the engine bay.
Well now 6 months later the banana boat is back on the road and running like a champ and sounds great with the new cam.

I want to give a few thanks to 3 vendors that helped me greatly with parts and their knowledge of these motors.
Chuck Tator for getting me all the OM parts I needed in a quick time. Every gasket, motor mounts, timing chain and new chrome badges for the side and silver badges for the rear.
Scott (Elite Motor Sports) for helping me with all my after market goodies and spending a lot of time with me on the phone on my go fast parts.
Todd (Arrow Racing Engines) Class act guy who helped me with all my engine and bearing specs, etc.

Thanks to all 3 of them this old yellow Gen I has come alive again and stronger than ever. As well I could not be happier.

Here are a few pics of the engine before and after rebuild.

165ViperBlock.jpg

165ViperBlock2.jpg

165ViperEngine.JPG

165ViperEngine2.JPG

OP
OP
A

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Spun Bearing / New Engine Rebuild Finally Complete (pics)

Also thanks to Dan Cole (Dansauto) for my taking care of my hood cracks, installing and painting front fascia. Taking care of side sill blisters and dings.

Here is a couple pics of the front fascia. One last thing still waiting to get done. Waiting on Silver Fang Emblems for front and rear. No Yellow yet!

165ViperNewFront2.JPG

165NewViperFrontSide.JPG

165ViperatWork.JPG

SJT97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That really looks great! I like the Yellow engine...very different & cool! I'm glad you have your snake back on the road.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looks great. Now all you need is the Gen.2 hood and cross-drilled/slotted rotors.

matthyoo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice car! I love the wheels!!! :2tu:

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
From one yellow lover to another the car looks great.

What wheels are you sporting there ?

Also what nose is that ? Is it stock with the lip added and the fog light sections painted to match the gen II 's

I like the look a lot.

OP
OP
A

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks all, it is nice to have it back on the road. Now I just need to get 1000 easy break in miles on it so I can see what this old gen I has.

The wheels are HRE 547's and the front fascia is the Elite Motor Sports front fascia, from Vipermed (Scott) in Florida. Really happy with the look of it now that the motor is back in the car.

Lauri,
I am up for a short spin on Saturday morning if it is not raining. Might be tough keeping up with you since I can't really get on it and I know how you drive on your private race track. But that would be a fun drive up 225. I will call you tonight.

Chuck,
Looking forward to the BBQ and the trip up to your beautiful neck of the woods!!!

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Ed, the cars looks great but you know I have to bust on you for something, what's up with the dirty brake fluid? :D

OP
OP
A

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ed, the cars looks great but you know I have to bust on you for something, what's up with the dirty brake fluid? :D

That is not brake fluid, I use used motor oil in there!! :2tu:

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta to teach you how to take photos, shadow should never be in front of the car you homo! It does look good. Can't wait to go cruising this summer!

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. I was always a fan of that car, since I saw it on dodge-vipers.com for the first time (I think).

Well, don't like that bumper too much... Car doesn't look wide enough now in my opinion. Anyway, still awesome.

Any chance of getting soundfiles online?
You must be registered for see images

And will you get on a dyno, now with the new mods??

OP
OP
A

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta to teach you how to take photos, shadow should never be in front of the car you homo! It does look good. Can't wait to go cruising this summer!

Ban him, he called me a homo!! SHHH, don't want everyone else knowing. :rolleyes:

Don't make me post the very high quality pics of you and the local big gals from you last visit!!

OP
OP
A

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want those braided lines in the engine compartment. Did you make those up from a kit or did you buy them pre-measured and made?

Andrew

The hoses and most fittings were on the car when I bought it. I did buy some of the bolt caps and valve cover bolts from JEGS. www.jegs.com

OP
OP
A

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ed- In my humble opinion you have the finest looking RT10 I have ever seen. I think its the Rims with the yellow. Great job.

Thanks, that is cool to here from another Gen I owner. I don't know though there are a lot of bad a$$ gen I's floating around here on the boards!!

OP
OP
A

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. I was always a fan of that car, since I saw it on dodge-vipers.com for the first time (I think).

Well, don't like that bumper too much... Car doesn't look wide enough now in my opinion. Anyway, still awesome.

Any chance of getting soundfiles online?

And will you get on a dyno, now with the new mods??

Hey I appreciate your honesty!! As for the sound files, wish I could post a sound file of it idling. It truely sounds better at idle than when driving.
I will dyno it after I get about 1000 to 1500 miles on it. Also don't want to spray until I get the motor well broken in. When I do dyno it I will post the results.

Where in Germany are you? I was born in Nurnburg when my dad was stationed in Furth, plus my mom is from Auerbach. Beautiful country can't wait to get back and visit.

Ed

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm from 'Gelsenkirchen'. Never heard of it, right?
Well, it's about a half an hour drive away north from 'Düsseldorf', right up of 'Essen'. Quite in the middle of the "pott"... (Former industrial zone)

Okay, I can't really say everything here is beautiful... But of course there are some nice places. But the best thing about the whole country are most likely the "paddle-to-the-metal" roads...

Anyway, if you ever come here, make sure to get to the Nürburgring! (It's 1 1/2 hours away from me... well, at least with a Viper...
) The german VCA is quite often there on the weekends, when endurance races are on.

OP
OP
A

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never heard of Gelsenkirchen, but have heard of Dusseldorf and know where it is.
I agree the autobahn is great!! Last year I was over in Nurnburg visiting my uncle and I got the pleasure of taking his BMW 740 on the auto bahn for a day. He was going to let us borrow my aunts M3 for the rest of our trip but since my wife brought so much luggage and was buying to much stuff I got stuck in one of his company vehicles an Opel Wagon. Damn I though I was gonna get run over on the autobahn. I had it floored most of the time and I think it would max out not much over 100 MPH.

Next time I am over I will definitely try and get to Nurburgring, maybe less castles and touristy stuff. I am sure my unlce we be into it too.

Thanks,
Ed

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Duane likes it! Engine looke like a million bucks. Please PM me and tell me where you got the intake from. I have been looking for that for a while and cannot find it. Nice job.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960