Viper ****** question / comparison

mikecronis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned a 1999 Pontiac TransAm Firehawk and a 2006 Lotus Elise. I currently own a 2008 Saturn Sky Redline. I live in Colorado Springs, CO at an altitude of 5800 ft (give or take). The forced-induction of the Sky RL helps nicely against the 17% Hp loss.

What are the pros/cons of various year models? It'd be easy to say that the most recent iteration Viper is the best, though personally I'm partial to the 03-06 models.

In the Elise, the high door-sill was awkward, though the 1/2" thick seats with the ProBack padding was surprisingly nice. Road harshness with the Billstien shocks on both the Firehawk and Elise were a bit gruelling. My Sky RL ride is creamy but there's a lot of dive-in (I don't have the GM Stage 2 kit yet for it or various suspension upgrades).

I suspect the Viper will accelerate a bit better than my modified Firehawk (for those familiar with the TransAm variant) and handle about the same as the Elise but with less understeer).

Here's my rather (un)interesting cars I've owned to date:
1986 Chrysler New Yorker (learned to drive on it, parent's car)
1980 Oldsmobile Omega
1984 Ford Tempo GLX
1979 Chrysler Cordoba
== all cars from this point are manual transmission ==
1987 Saab 900 (learned manual transmission on it, wife's dad's car)
1989 Honda Civic EX (pre-VTEC version)
1991 Nissan Pulsar NX SE
1991 Honda Prelude Si (while stationed in Japan / RHD)
2000 Pontiac Sunfire GT (traded after owning 2 months due to bad sunroof)
1998 Pontiac Firebird V6
1999 Pontiac TransAm Firehawk SLP
1998 Honda Civic EX VTEC (kept as a winter-******, soon stolen)
1996 Nissan Sentra GXE (kept as a winter-****** during Firehawk onward)
2006 Lotus Elise (with touring package & targa hardtop option)
2008 Saturn Sky Redline

Certainly the FWD cars are not much of a comparison. I've also owned several sportbikes:

Honda CB450 (standard)
Suzuki Katana 600
Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Kawasaki Ninja 500R
Honda Superhawk VTR1000F
Kawasaki Ninja 250 J-type

I've performed several track-days and have a good handle on predictable controlled drifting (thanks to the Elise and to some extent, the Firehawk, and to a lesser-extent, the Sky).

I find the Sky's progression is non-linear due to the explosive turbo boost (21PSI) and requires a gentle feathering of the throttle to maintain a usable-drift. Acceleration is generally adequate. Those last 3 good cars were all in the 0-60 about 5.0 to 5.5 range so are very similar (though revving is different of course).

Anyway, enough about me.. my questions are:

Which problems has the 2008 Viper addressed over the 2003-2006?

For example, I found the Elise's A/C unit to be non-functional after 5 minutes, and the sill contained the coolant from the radiator was VERY hot against the left leg. Driving more than 300 miles was a chore, and due to various aerodynamics, I'd begin to get lift over 90mph.

The Firehawk's T-top windows would create too much reverse pressure over 140mph and ****-in "POP!". GM went cheap on the brakes and rotors and needed to be upgraded ASAP. SLP Loudmouth exhaust frightened elderly and children and priests. Car was HEAVY. Getting "Out of the Hole" took about a week in the RPM range even with 4.10 gear ratio installed. Handled crazy in the snow, even with Pirelli snow tires, "Thanks Mr. Torque!"

Each car has it's quirks. What can I expect with an 03-06 quirk-wise?

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was one hell of a first post there, Mike. I'm afraid I'm not as vocal. I have a 2003 with about 4500 miles on it so there hasn't been much time for quirks to show up. I love it. You will too.

Bob

V

Venomiss

Welcome!
Found this in a search for you. Pop in year differences and comes up with pages of answers.

http://forums.viperclub.org/2388801-post9.html

The two Viper Techs on these boards are Mark Jorgensen(Woodhouse) & Chuck Tator (Tators Dodge).
Both nice guys who can answer questions for you too.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Mike~~very nice write-up for your first post! (Absolutely LOVE the FireHawks & Lotus Elise btw!)
We experienced NO quirks with our 2005 we had...just the immense power and torque~! Remember this is totally a DRIVERS' car....YOU are in total control of what the car does...you have to remember the tires/cold roads, get used to being in total control. These cars come around on the best of us. GOOD LUCK in your search and WELCOME! ~juli
(Our 2008 is MUCH more powerful and throttle-response is awesome!)

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the boards!

Get a book. Called the Viper Buyers Guide. WELL worth the $20!! It will answer alot of questions! I know it did for me before I got my car!

Robert

OP
OP
M

mikecronis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been looking for about a week for the "Viper's Buyer's Guide" before I posted as I have been reading the forums a bit. Unfortunately, the venerable "VPG" is at least $50 through Amazon/eBay/CraigsList/Bonanzle/etc. Perhaps there's someone with a "VPG" that would be willing to part with it for say, original cost? Certainly the tome has already worked it's magic for someone and it's just aging in some dark corner of a driver's den or library?

I could PayPal the $$$ right over. ;)

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been looking for about a week for the "Viper's Buyer's Guide" before I posted as I have been reading the forums a bit. Unfortunately, the venerable "VPG" is at least $50 through Amazon/eBay/CraigsList/Bonanzle/etc. Perhaps there's someone with a "VPG" that would be willing to part with it for say, original cost? Certainly the tome has already worked it's magic for someone and it's just aging in some dark corner of a driver's den or library?

Go to viperbuyersguide.com and you will find the e-mail address of the author Maurice Liang. Send him a message and tell him you want to buy one. The book is out of print but he said he still has a few. So, don't wait.

He also told me he would be away from his e-mail for a few days so there might be a delay in his response. It's worth the wait, and the cost is far less than the $50 you saw on those sites.

Bob

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i think Jonb at partsrack has them

PartsRack.com - Home

Phone: 360-837-3937

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
[/quote] Which problems has the 2008 Viper addressed over the 2003-2006? [/quote]

The Gen 4 was not built to address Gen 3 'problems' ..... The gen 4 is almost completely Gen 3 parts .....except the driveline, improved to handle the Gen 4 motor at 600 HP.

PartsRack has the Buyers Guide on our web store, thanks E. And we will refund the $25 book price when you make your first Viper Parts purchase over $100 . NOTE it only covers 1992-2004

PS any short list of VIPER TECHS here has to include Dan Cragin 310 841 6996 in SoCal

Last edited:

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which problems has the 2008 Viper addressed over the 2003-2006? [/quote]

The Gen 4 was not built to address Gen 3 'problems' ..... The gen 4 is almost completely Gen 3 parts .....except the driveline, improved to handle the Gen 4 motor at 600 HP.

PartsRack has the Buyers Guide on our web store, thanks E. And we will refund the $25 book price when you make your first Viper Parts purchase over $100 . NOTE it only covers 1992-2004

PS any short list of VIPER TECHS here has to include Dan Cragin 310 841 6996 in SoCal[/quote]

Mike- listen to Jon B. He is SO SO knowledgeable.:)

OP
OP
M

mikecronis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OUTSTANDING response! Thanks everybody! I appreciate all the input a LOT.

I'm almost 100% settled on a 2005 model, preferably in Charcoal Gray (though I think that color wasn't introduced until 2006). I believe a premium sound option was available around that time. I'm not sure if the head-unit had a NAV system until 2008 but I know it's switchable, and I prefer OEM NAV systems personally. They look cleaner.

I'll get on that OOP book and thanks everyone SO much for the input.

If anyone wants to sell me their 2005-2006 Charcoal Gray Viper (I'd take a Black Mamba Ed as well) give me a holler. I saw a few on the classifieds section but I've received no responses. I'll keep on lurkin'.

Gentlemen, all of you, and well met sirs.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the party Mike. I think we need pictures of the Sky RL :D
I have a RL too, just not the Sky version.

Lucid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer the changes of the 08+ models over the 03-06. However, I like the older hood better.

Suspension, tires, 90hp, and "new hood" also various tweaks, are worth the 20k premium over the the 06 or earlier.

I've had the 97 version, and can't imagine going back to that over my 08 coupe.

The 20k+ for the 08-09 is well worth the money for the performance and warranty coverage.

srt4evah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is a 2-month old bump, and I'm not sure if you already bought or not, but I've been wondering this same question myself. I certainly am not an expert on the Viper, I've only driven one at the SRT Track Experience once, but I did find this information on Wikipedia. I'll try to sum that up here:

8.4L engine
- 100bhp increase
- Variable valve timing
- Better flowing head
- 300rpm increase to rev limit
- Electronic throttle bodies (no more throttle cable, not a fan of that myself)

TR6060 transmission (T56 was the previous model)
- Triple-synchros for the first gear
- Double-sychros for higher gears

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires (improvement over the III run-flats)

ViscoLok LSD

Springs, swaybars, shocks changed

Reworked exhaust system reduces cabin heat

New electrical and engine management system

Increased capacity of fueling system (presumably to handle the increased power)

That's about it from what I can tell. The thing I wonder is how much it would cost to get most of that back on an '06. Coilovers, LSD, tires, and then some engine mods, but at what cost? I'm still researching but I'm trying to determine if I can get an '06 for around $50k and throw another $15-20k at it and exceed the performance of the '08 (bearing in mind MSRP on the 08/09's is $90k), but I don't know right now.

Maybe I should copy this post over to my own intro thread and give some more details...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21