Viper Rims, TOO EXPENSIVE to leave to Chance !!

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I am sure a lot of us have been challenged with the uneasy feeling of shipping a set of Viper Rims to another owner/buyer and the Risk of Damage during transit.

One time I sent a Differential to a member on here, and apparently UPS drop kicked it a few times before delivery. I will never forget when he called he told me "you have to package this stuff like you KNOW ups is going to beat the $hit outta it." He was right, and ever since thats how I pack ANYTHING. Not just viper stuff.

So, I thought I would show everyone my recent installment of "How to pack wheels" (vs what Infero does, which is packing his boyfriend).

These are the rims I most recently sold through vca/ebay.

4596DSCN0316-med.JPG

4596DSCN0330-med.JPG

4596DSCN0332-med.JPG

4596DSCN0333-med.JPG

4596DSCN0334-med.JPG

4596DSCN0335-med.JPG

4596DSCN0336-med.JPG

4596DSCN0337-med.JPG

4596DSCN0338-med.JPG

4596DSCN0339-med.JPG

4596DSCN0341-med.JPG

4596DSCN0342-med.JPG

4596DSCN03431-med.JPG

4596DSCN0344-med.JPG

4596DSCN0346-med.JPG

4596DSCN0347-med.JPG

4596DSCN0348-med.JPG

4596DSCN0349-med.JPG

4596DSCN0350-med.JPG

:needpics:

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I told the guy, I would package them, as if I was shipping them to myself. No one wants the excitement of a new toy coming it, to be crashed by a sinking feeling in your stomach that they didnt make it through shipping.

Jon

PS. It was really no fun, easily has taken a few hours, probably 3-4 getting all the supplies, and packaging the wheels up. But in the end, when they arrive safely, it was all worth it. Labor of love :D

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I ever buy anything from you Jon at least I will be able to sleep at night nowing it was packed right.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow Jon. That is a lot of work. Reminds me of when I sent mine to various members on here. Was not that intensive but it took a lot of work as well with packaging. By the way, what did these finally end up going for?

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow Jon. That is a lot of work. Reminds me of when I sent mine to various members on here. Was not that intensive but it took a lot of work as well with packaging. By the way, what did these finally end up going for?

I would say enough, to account for all the time spent to package each wheel

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would say enough, to account for all the time spent to package each wheel

You hit the nail on the head. I couldnt have been happier with the transaction.

Jon

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not bad :)

For more protection, get a package of small sheets of 3/4" styrofoam for $5 or so from your local Home Depot and a box big enough to allow you to surround the wheel with 2-3 sheets on all sides.

Especially when you're shipping just a rim w/ no tire to help protect it.

Should be better than a couple layers of cardboard protecting the rim inside the box.

Funny, I look at that packaging and am reminded of when I bought a spare wheel/tire ass. overseas and had it shipped about 150km to my house there. They pkgd it the same way.

Cost me about $1.50 for shipping as I recall..

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Love how Jon-boy feels the need to school all of you on how to be a packer.....next lesson......Fudge.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love how Jon-boy feels the need to school all of you on how to be a packer.....next lesson......Fudge.

Dude, did you even read the post? I worked you. And you throw the same joke right back at me? K, go ban yourself for 30 days, you got super lame. This hit and miss (mostly misses) on your jokes is going to have more people knowing what I already do, your a complete tool bag. :buttkick: :hitfan:

Jon

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A beautifull job done. just make sure you insure everything at full retail with UPS as they will pay off. I have been paid many times on shipments they have damaged.

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A beautifull job done. just make sure you insure everything at full retail with UPS as they will pay off. I have been paid many times on shipments they have damaged.

Sounds like you don't package your stuff too well! ;)

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen reusable plastic crates that you can use to ship wheels? I've seen such things for shipping engines, but not wheels.

It would be nice to have some, so I could ship spare wheels/tires to tracks in distant places, and not have to worry about bubble wrap and cardboard.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
"Sounds like you don't package your stuff too well!"
-------------------------------------------------------

All I was saying was that when you ship by UPS or by anyone else you should insure the parts for full retail value even if they are used as UPS does not know the difference. As for you comment I have never had a claim denied from not packaging an item to UPS's specs in 30 years.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My HREs came is reinforced boxes that are impressive. Maybe try to get some from them?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there done that. I got a set of wheels shipped from the West Coast and they had been placed on the face of the wheel which chewed up the lip and the cardboard rubbed a ribbed pattern into the clearcoat.

Her are my pics of some wheels I shipped to Canada. I ever added felt on the face of the wheels and a carring strap.

4030DSC02785-med.JPG

4030DSC02787-med.JPG

4030DSC02788_1-med.JPG

4030DSC02739-med.JPG

4030DSC02791_1-med.JPG

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there done that. I got a set of wheels shipped from the West Coast and they had been placed on the face of the wheel which chewed up the lip and the cardboard rubbed a ribbed pattern into the clearcoat.

Her are my pics of some wheels I shipped to Canada. I ever added felt on the face of the wheels and a carring strap.

Ingenius !! Although, you built them for convenience, I built mine for a little more Rugged ass whoopin. If you have respectful ups guys, then your set up is great, mine is more like BOMB SHELTER type protection.

BTW, I had a set from west coast viper, that they simply put card board on the face and tapped it up and shipped it exposed except for the face. Not very smart, and of course they got scratched. Just wish people would spend the time to do it right !!

Jon

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice job! And - it's nice to get a package from an eBayer that has taken the time to ship them - it means they give a rip.

Your buyer will be thrilled. and rightly so.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ingenius !! Although, you built them for convenience, I built mine for a little more Rugged ass whoopin. If you have respectful ups guys, then your set up is great, mine is more like BOMB SHELTER type protection.

BTW, I had a set from west coast viper, that they simply put card board on the face and tapped it up and shipped it exposed except for the face. Not very smart, and of course they got scratched. Just wish people would spend the time to do it right !!

Jon

The boxes are better and probable took less time, but with those Gen II 18’’ oem you better protect the face.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon

The boxes are better and probable took less time, but with those Gen II 18’’ oem you better protect the face.

prob didnt take less time, I have easily put 3 to 4 hours into them, roughly an hour a wheel. And I have shipped 2 sets of gen 2 rims I'll have you know :) all arrived safely !!

Jon