Viper sales figures for January 2009

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chrysler sold 127 Vipers in January, which is up 74 percent from a year ago. For the entire year of 2008, they only sold 1,172 Vipers.

It seems the incentives are working but at what cost?

What is the reason for the fire sale of these cars? New ownership? I have heard it over and over from many reliable sources that the brand will be sold. When are we going to hear some real truths? Are we the largest group of buyers for the Viper?

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Statistics can be misleading so let's keep things in perspective here- in January 2008 the new Gen 4's were just starting to show up at the dealers, and many of the colors were not even being made yet. A better month to compare would likely be April or May once there were a large numbers actually available for purchase.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part of their sales suceess is due to all the various creative sales that have been going on such as running new (sold as used) cars throught the auctions, selling (new-used)cars to brokers and dealers selling used vipers with 5-50 miles that were reported as employee purchases. there are a number of new vipers for sale that have been titled as used. In all cases Chrysler reports them as sold but they haven't been retailed. If you were to look at the 127 sales and see the registered names you'd be surprised who bought them.

2snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They need to come back with the 20K rebate for everyone

2snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They had employee pricing and 20K rebate it expired Feb 2nd for employees only

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Posted in 2 other threads on this topic last week:

I puzzled for years over the abiguous published sales numbers and producton numbers of Vipers... Automotive News and sister AutoWeek just dont flow or make sense with other brands with huge numbers....and cumulative Viper numbers dont add up to reality unless over a longer sample period.

There is a simple and obvious reason why Jan 2009 Viper sales exceeded Jan 2008 Viper Sales:

In Jan 09, we were buying 2008 and 2009 Vipers, from good dealer stocks, with some AARPs.

But in Jan 08 what were we buying? Scant Leftover '06s; No '07; Few '08 stock had built up by Jan '08.

P.S. Dodge CLEARED OUT CAAP pre-Christmas. Over 100 Sold Vipers (finally) arrived at dealers in Dec-Jan, where eager owners paid for and registered em = Jan 09 sales. And "Dealer Stock" for the big EP++ Feb Sale. DONT MISS OUT !!!

Wait til you see FEB numbers....you're gonna have to call him back and brag even more!

It is great that the LA Blogger is a fan, and GREATER STILL that he pinged the VCA for input..........but "Now you know the REST of the story".......

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Will Dodge continue these incentives(any/all) until the end of March.?? Kevin

They darn-well killed the exact same Challenger incentive early, and almost instantaneously......with zero notice.

As dealer stocks drop, 'they' can and will do WHATEVER the dealers want......

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am one of them, 09 red coup. Purchased 2/9/09

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to Viper Club :usa:

Like Jon said, the Employee Pricing set-up is not mandated by Dodge/Chrysler by any means... it is completely and entirely up to the specific dealership whether they offer it or not. I heard of practically no California dealerships offering the EPP deal on any SRT-8 Challengers and a lot of perspective SRT buyers simply went out of state.

seabass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
me too, 12/24/08... graphite coupe AND I got my 20k rebate by buying used w/48 miles! :)

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Feb '08 had 90 viper sales

In spite of the great deals to be had there were only 1/2 as many sales:omg:.

I am on the fence myself, and not sure what would push me over. Might end up looking for another Gen2 to play around with until the world settles down a bit.

OP
OP
C

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In spite of the great deals to be had there were only 1/2 as many sales:omg:.

I am on the fence myself, and not sure what would push me over. Might end up looking for another Gen2 to play around with until the world settles down a bit.

If you don't mind buying used, then no big deal, as I still feel like this might be the end of the Viper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi