Viper taxed by state of Maryland

mousetom78

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went to ocean city, md for the annual hot rod weekend two weeks ago in my red 2003 SRT-10 viper roadster. I got two tickets for not having a front tag twice that weekend by two different state troopers. Well, first ticket one was like "viper tax" to me . The second cop was little overkilled, he expected me to drive home in middle vacation to fix my front tag when I live 3 hours away. I got pulled over in middle of traffic both times out of a billion of mustangs, camaros, firebirds, and corvettes around me. A lot of those cars run illegal exhaust and certainly no front tags. I guess my "exotic" American muscle car still stand out of the crown. For those who knows Ocean City, MD, state troopers NEVER go into coastal hwy in ocean city. There is Ocean City police department for that.

Here's the fun part. I decided to wait until court for the ticket to see if I can get one find not guilty hopefully on same court date. They mailed me court date that is 29 days apart for those two tickets when I got pulled over once on Friday and another on Saturday. I am not worried about $200 dollars fine for both ticket because it doesn't carry points. I just want to go into court to speak my mind and use an excuse to go back to the Ocean.

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I feel your pain; got one for my Mitsubishi 3000 VR4 a while ago coming back from the airport at 2:30AM. The crazy part was the front tag was on but I had a clear plastic cover to make it easier to clean. Popo didn’t care, I guess it screwed with his Lidar gun so I took off the cover and paid the $90 bucks. Later I found in Maryland a cover over the tag is illegal. When I got my 04 Viper I just broke down and picked up the rubber snap-on type I found here on the forum. They look like two rubber clothes pins, work great and even under “brisk” acceleration don’t come loose. I also installed the widest tag frame (fake carbon fiber) I could find to minimize the white Maryland tag, did the same on the back.

btw I drove down to the hot rod weekend in OC for a while, the only viper I saw was a parked red Gen 2, mine was the 04 vert in black cruising north on Rt1. I did see a nice blue viper coupe with white stripes heading south on Rt1 out of Bethany, DE. towards OC.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4