Viper Test Drive experience

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Adding to this post would just be piling on ..... I just bought #3 Viper, a new coupe. Damn, this this 06 coupe is nice!

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My test drive experience was a lot different and led me to buy a new SRT-4 Convertible:

(I was 50 when I bought my Viper)

The door sill was so high and so wide.

True, but so what?

It took some effort to climb in and out of the car.

True, but I am not remotely athletic and feel it is totally worth the effort!

The top was down so it must be even harder with the top up.

Not really.

Cockpit was like a race car.
Hard, unforgiving, cramped.
The lateral support of the seat was digging into my ribs.
And I'm not a really big guy. (5'10" 190lbs)

I thought the cockpit fit like a glove - certainly no "digging", hugging maybe. Soft, supportive, and with more than enough space. (I am 5'6" and weigh(ed) 190 pounds (yeah, too much, now pushing 200))
The Viper has AC - my Corvettes ('69 and '61) do not and they too are fine for trips

Rearview mirror was small and visibility was not that good.

Rear view more than adequate, PLUS they are electrically adjustable for backing in tight quarters.

The shifter was tall, loose, and clumsy.

The shifter fell right into my hand and works fine.

The trunk space was too tiny!
The tonneau cover took up most of the space!

The trunk is larger than that in my '69 Corvette convertible, and the Corvette is adequate for transcontinental road trips with the top down - you can leave the tonneau cover home if you need space.

The power though.
OMG the power!
It was a brute monster!
Ridiculous amount of torque!
With WOT in second, I inadvertantly and literally shouted Holy Sheeet!

One I agree with!!!! I didn't shout anything out loud (it turns out my 355 '69 Corvette, at peak, is only 90 HP less than the Viper)

The Alpine sound system was pretty impressive I must say.

I didn' listen to the radio, but since owning the car (16100 miles in about 12 driving months) I find the radio just fine.

My experience at the dealership was... interesting.
This Dodge dealership was clueless about the car.
Took 3 people to figure out how to unlock the ragtop and put it up.
The car was sitting on the showroom floor for 5 months so they had to charge the battery because it wouldn't start. That didn't work, so they had to call a bunch of guys and do a rolling start. They were short, so I had to push it too.

I didn't really care what the dealer knew about the car.

After they got the car started, I took it for a long and hard performance drive.
:D :D

I loved the car after my 6 mile test drive. Perfect shifting, awesome brakes, awesome power, great steering, predictable powerslides.

After my fun drive, I hopped into my C5 to go home.
And ohhhhhh... the comfort.
The soft and roomy interior.
The smoothness of the engine and ride.
I realized why I absolutely love my corvette and now having second thoughts about the Viper, which would be my daily driver.

I use my Viper daily driving to work unless the weather is poor (salted roads or rain). I will take it for drives in the rain, just not to work. It is well worth my ingress and egress efforts for the thrill of the drive.

The car was a 2004 SRT with 4,800 miles.
I offered $52k and after they came down $500, they wouldn't budge on $55k.
But I shook hands and drove home with a big smile on my face.
Man, that drive was FUN!

Having rebuilt two Corvette convertibles and an Impala convertible to have what I wanted, I REALLY wanted to be the FIRST owner of a new high performance convertible sports car. I made my best deal and bought it (after some family negociations).

I LOVE MY VIPER!!!!! I look forward to TOTALLY consuming its 7/70 warranty by mileage.........

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As a big guy - 6'1" 280 - yea it is a little tight feeling after I climb out of my big 4 door daily driver, but after a short time behind the wheel the Viper seat just kinda consume you and you become part of the cockpit. It feels like a car of this stature should - end of story.

Bruce

OP
OP
D

Dr. Validus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren't you glad you posted here Doc? Slamming our cars on our site is not nice.
R.I.P.

GEEZ! What a rough bunch!
If you read carefully, I am not slamming the Viper (well, except maybe the shifter comment). I was just sharing an experience. I said I'm still undecided because I love the way the Viper looks and love its power. But it may not be a good daily driver for me.

Perhaps my doctorate is in Psychiatry because I would like to make the diagnosis that some of you guys got some serious insecurity issues!

OP
OP
D

Dr. Validus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 2001 C5 vert as a daily driver; it was enjoyable if there wasn't something wrong with it which was almost constant. As good as its performance was, I was still searching for more. Seats were on the flat side but comfortable. Now I have the 2005 Viper vert as a daily driver. I now have 10K miles and still yet to have a problem. I'm not searching for more performance and my seats are just as comfortable if not more and provide proper support for the harder cornering this thing generates. I do have to lift my foot a little higher to clear the sill but it also doesn't scrape when I go up and down my driveway. Shifting? My C5 was a stick also and didn't have anywhere the feel of the Viper stick. It did get better when I put the Hurst stick in it which was one of the best mods I did for the C5 but it was on par with my current stock Viper stick. Overall, the vette does provided more comfort but not the driving satisfaction the Viper generates. I still like Vettes but wouldn't consider owning one again unless the reliability improves. You should check out the C6. Oh yeah, the quality (fit/finish)- Viper by far in comparison to the C5. The C6 gets better in this respect. I think some of the Viper nuts here are being too ******* you because the Vette is a great machine. The Vette is easier to like at first and then slowly wears off whereas the Viper grows on you more (and quickly) IMHO.

Thanks for this post. The last comment was really helpful.

OP
OP
D

Dr. Validus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DrV.

Thanks for posting on our forum. Most of us agree with your observations and comments, and for our own reasons have chosen the less convenient Viper over the more comfortable Vette.

Since both of them use similar tranmissions, I am going to assume your Vette is an automatic. That indeed is something that also seperates the two driving experiences.

A similar observation could be made by a mini van owner.
Mini van gets better mileage than vette, drives smoother, has much more usable room inside, has easer time getting in and out, is quieter, has a smoother shifting automatic, is cheaper to insure, and can take the kids and the dogs at the same time.

Buick owners could also explain why they would find vettes unacceptable as daily drivers.

Just like Harleys...some people get it, and others don't

Yes, you are right about the shifter. I had to replace the stock Vette shifter with a Hurst and that would be my first mod if I decide on the Viper.

OP
OP
D

Dr. Validus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to Wikepedia, Validus is some DC comics character. The part about 'near mindlessness' is most entertaining.

"It was revealed much later in the Legion of Super-Heroes' storyline that, as revenge for his defeat in The Great Darkness Saga, Darkseid had kidnapped one of the twin children (Validus, in this case)of Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl at birth. He then sent the newborn back in time, cursed with a monstrous body and with near-mindlessness (that made him easily controlled by the likes of the Emerald Empress) with the idea that either the parent or the child would kill the other."

The original post is either a fake to get us stirred up, or he has an unfortunate name.

I think there's a typo with your screen name.
You missed-typed "p" instead of typing an "s".
Comic book character... :buttkick:
What a dork.

murci

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also a Dr. V (j/k). No, really...it's "Vu". Being a dentist, there are

days when my back would be in agony. But after driving home in the viper, it

was all worth it. I think of it as my chiropractor on wheels.

I also bought the viper without any real world experience.

Sure, the ride may be a tad bit harsh, the tranny somewhat clunky, the radio

somewhat possessed, but the raw power and looks more than makes up for it.

Yes...I also once owned a c5. But after driving the viper, why would anyone

ever choose a vette over a viper as their primary sports car.

I'd say keep your vette for daily driving. And when you're ready for some

serious performance, add a viper to your garage.

You'll never regret it. All the best. :2tu:

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What baffles me is how many complaints you have about the car, especially with those complaints referring to daily drivability (which is your intended use). BUT then you make an offer to buy? Perhaps my doctorate is in 'Common Sense' because I would like to make the diagnosis of Bi-polar disorder. The good news is you can write yourself Rx's for mood stabilizing drugs.

Reaction score
Dear Dr. Valdius,

Interesting, that you feel when Viper owners express their Viper ownership experience, it is insecurity? So because some do not agree with you we have serious insecurity issues. Serious insecurity issues, no doubt I have them, every time I go on a race track the first few seconds then my confidence returns and driving school experience kicks in and all is well. So I confess I have insecurity issues, but the Viper is still a much better high performance Sports Car than the present or past Vette's. And yes I was a 427, 3x2, Plastic Pig owner in my past life.

The following link is from this section of the site where several have reported their impression of the 06 Viper.
http://www.autobytel.com/content/shared/...cle_id_int/1204

None are close to your view and are very much like the Viper owners you see as having serious insecurity issues!

Sorry I do not agree with your interpretation of insecurity expressed by the other Viper owners. Buy what makes you feel good! If you like the looks of the Vette, the comfort, etc. go for it. The Viper is a High Performance Sports Car that is ready for a race track and in the hands of a good driver will provide an awesome experience.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Perhaps my doctorate is in Psychiatry because I would like to make the diagnosis that some of you guys got some serious insecurity issues! "
Not only is it unethical for you to state this, it says a lot more about you than any of us.

Perhaps you missed some English composition classes in your rush to have your mortar board spun.
Tell us, doc, what would you term someone who feels the need to through his education around? And while we're on the topic of insecurity, let's remember that you are the one who started this post with a slam at a car you either cannot afford (low-ball offer) or could not live with on a day to day basis (ie: ingress/egress issues), so much so that you felt the need to express your love for the rival car. Text book insecurity. Why not post about that on a Corvette forum? I am certain that they'd eat it up, feeding thier insecurities with a compliment like that. A tad narcissistic, perhaps?
Slam or not, you didn't condisder how the reader may interpret what you write here. And, if you'll pardon the cliche', if can't take the heat get the hell out of the kitchen. I have nothing to defend from the likes of you. You come across as a fraud, and certainly not an enthusiast.
Have another look at the Viper, when you're ready to let go of your security blanket (Corvette).
I get the feeling that you're not long for this forum if you maintain your present stance. So enjoy while you can.

OP
OP
D

Dr. Validus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are too funny!!!!!! I love it.

I agree with you.
This is has turned into quite an entertaining post.
A#S Man does make me laugh.
Is expressing love for my current car a slam on the Viper to you?
If the car I drove home after the Viper test drive was a Mercedes E55, would you still feel this offended? Or does the word "Corvette" just rile you up?
What's with this rival car squabble? The Viper and Corvette are cars that can both be appreciated by any car enthusiast. Must we choose one or the other?

And when the heck did I throw my education status around?
The Psychiatry thing was a joke.
I'm an ER doc.

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is a Viper forum, YOU are the one coming on here comparing Viper to Corvette.
Maybe you could have educated your self on the subject first.

Keep the vette for a daily driver, and the Viper for weekend drives ;)

Tico

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Doc,

The dealership I got my Viper at would not allow test drives. I practically had to get my credit checked just to be able to sit in it on the show room floor. Anyhow, I traded in my '04 BMW M3 and went home in a brand spanking new Viper. During my 25 minute ride home I felt uncomfortable, it was hot in the cabin, the car was tracking all over the place, had some problems shifting gears, and the view in the rearview mirrors was not all that great. To make matters worse, I burned my left calf when getting out of the car for the first time (I was wearing shorts). I was quite upset and had trouble sleeping that night thinking that I was going to return the car the next day.

Well, the following morning I walked out to my garage and actually smiled when I first saw it. This is going to sound stupid but it actually looked **** (lol). When I hopped in and started it I felt a little intimidated. The sound, the smell, the stance, the gearshift vibrating in my hand - heck, if I remember correctly I think I got a chubby before even pulling out of the garage. My drive to the dealership turned into a two hour cruise and I've been loving it ever since. It just took a little getting used to as I was accustomed to smooth, cushy rides in quiet sedans and SUVs. Now if I get stressed out, pissed at my boss, or have an argument with the wife, I just go for a ride and come back with a smile on my face. Not just a smile, more like a [*****]-eatin-grin. I have never had a car that always gets me excited (and a little nervous) by just starting it up. It's scary, in a good way, in that it demands respect. And respect it I do, as I was "bitten by the snake" after a few months of ownership (I got a little cocky).

Go for it, Doc. Put some excitement in your life - you won't regret it.

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For all the talk about a viper being uncivilized I have to say I was surprised. I drove my friends viper and quite honestly it was a lot more civilizied than I thought.

I think all the talk about an uncivilized beast are doing the viper srt/10 an injustice...I thought the viper was quite civilized.

Much more civilized than my Corvette C5 Z06. My vette with mild 224/224 114lsa cam/headers/3.73 gears is a lot less civilizied. (485hp 440lb/ft of torque in 3100lbs)

I really liked the viper. In my opinion I thought it to be a better built sports car.

I do think the cost of repair and maintaince would be a lot higher so its not my personal choice...and I would like it to have active handling so it can be used all year around (in the northeast) ....but again...its just a personal opinion.

Awesome car. Great drive....lots of torque...Big winner!

Just not for me personally....but always tempting...

Its really not a comparision to the vette of which there are more than 30K sold per year...

The viper is an exclusive american exotic whereas the vettes an amazing mass produced sports car...

Both great vehicles with different qualities of ownership.

Just my opinion. I do understand what the doctor is saying about the viper. I just don't happen to agree...

Maybe because my Z's been modified and used for over 50K fun miles?

After the test drive I thought my car was the uncivilized one...

Fast light and fun but no where near as civilized. and a hell of lot less torque.

Should DC offer active handling? Yes...it will allow for a lot more sales if that matters...when the roads cold active handling with around 500 hp is a smart move....and it has nothing to do with drivers skill....b/c its just when your not thinking about it for that split second that the car will pull a 360 w/o A/H.

Put enough miles on a car and believe it or not there are moments driving where you are not paying that much attention ....and thats when I think Active handling in the Viper would pay off.

Bottom line...I think DC would be smart of install Active handling in the viper. I think (and I could be wrong) sales would increase...

And for those that hate the idea? Just push the button down and it goes into either competition mode or completely off.

JB

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the following morning I walked out to my garage and actually smiled when I first saw it. This is going to sound stupid but it actually looked **** (lol). When I hopped in and started it I felt a little intimidated. The sound, the smell, the stance, the gearshift vibrating in my hand - heck, if I remember correctly I think I got a chubby before even pulling out of the garage. My drive to the dealership turned into a two hour cruise and I've been loving it ever since. It just took a little getting used to as I was accustomed to smooth, cushy rides in quiet sedans and SUVs. Now if I get stressed out, pissed at my boss, or have an argument with the wife, I just go for a ride and come back with a smile on my face. Not just a smile, more like a [*****]-eatin-grin. I have never had a car that always gets me excited (and a little nervous) by just starting it up. It's scary, in a good way, in that it demands respect. And respect it I do, as I was "bitten by the snake" after a few months of ownership (I got a little cocky).

Well said Tico. And may I add that I have owned mine for over two years now, drive it all year round when dry out and STLL feel that way every time I open the garage.

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Doc,

The dealership I got my Viper at would not allow test drives. I practically had to get my credit checked just to be able to sit in it on the show room floor. Anyhow, I traded in my '04 BMW M3 and went home in a brand spanking new Viper. During my 25 minute ride home I felt uncomfortable, it was hot in the cabin, the car was tracking all over the place, had some problems shifting gears, and the view in the rearview mirrors was not all that great. To make matters worse, I burned my left calf when getting out of the car for the first time (I was wearing shorts). I was quite upset and had trouble sleeping that night thinking that I was going to return the car the next day.

Oh man I am right there with you in that this is the best car I have ever had. I told the wife tonight I am definitely getting another one to go with the 1st one. To me, it is like ****** only this ****** comes in a V10 and not a blue pill!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960