Viper = Too Heavy?

Guyver1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have this question, why is the New Viper so **** heavy?

Take a look at some of the British TVR cars. They weigh from 2400 to 2500lbs, and most are just as large as the Viper, and cost just as much, and yet they are so much lighter. Couldn't Chrysler have taken a hint, and made us an amazing car, 500 horsepower and 2800lbs? It can be done, a small manufacturer like TVR can do it, why not a huge company like Daimler Chrysler? The new C6 is even rumored to be 2800lbs. A car that weight with the current LS6 would make a mockery of the Next-Gen RT-10. Now there are rumors that TVR may be bringing some of their cars to the US. If that happens, the Viper won't be king any longer in its price-bracket. DC only managed to cut 100 lbs off the car? That's downright nothing compared to what I see being chopped off other cars.

Here's my question though, why does the Viper need to be so heavy?

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh, it's a big block. What's really amazing to me is that the Viper can have a nearly 50/50 weight distribution with the huge 8 liter up front. Of course, maybe that's why the pedals are shifted to the left, but still, the NIIIIIIICE weight distribution of the big block car really helps the dynamics, given the relatively hefty weight.

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guyver1:
500 horsepower and 2800lbs? It can be done, a small manufacturer like TVR can do it, why not a huge company like Daimler Chrysler?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's the torsional stiffness of a TVR like as compared to a viper? Does it twist like soggy tortellini under WOT? With massive torque comes the need for a very stiff chassis ... if you want it to handle well. Viper didn't cut corners in that area. I wonder about TVR.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the official curb weight of the new Viper? I was really hoping for around 3200 pounds. The Z06 is light, and dimensionally bigger then the Viper, so it seems like even with the big block, that the weight could be reduced to around 3200.

My GTS weighed in at 3450, and our Z06 at 3150, both with half a tank of gas. The truck scales are accurate to the nearest 50 lbs, or so I'm told.

The fact that the new M3 is so portly, is ridiculous too me. I heard that BMW was coming out with a new M3 'lightweight' that was going to drop 150 KG by removing 'luxury items'. It seems like it'll take more then power seats and door locks to come up with over 300 pounds. However, if they can make an M3 weigh in at under 3000 pounds, it's gonna be fast.

Jim

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know I was thinking the exact same thing. Why is the Viper heavier than the Vette? They are about the same size. That's why the Z06 is so close to the current Vipers they about weigh 300 lbs less, I think. I also hear the rumor the C6 will be just over 3,000 lbs and if they make the C6 Z06 it would probably be a couple hundred lbs less so 2,800 sounds about right. Just the weight difference alone would require the Gen III Viper to have an extra 50HP to stay ahead. So what would the extra $30K in price get you in the Viper (as far as light weight parts) compared to the Corvette?

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not that heavy for what you get. 8.0 liters/3400lbs isn't that bad. Compared to what's out there it's downright light. It's lighter than a new 3.2l M3 (that's a crime)!! It's also lighter than a Turbo Porsche. TVR is basically a kit car company. By the time the cars get certified for America it certainly won't be that light. Hell, my S2000 weighs 2800lbs. and that's with an aluminum 2.0 liter.

If you want big wheels, tires, motor, tranny, diff, AC, radio etc. you're not gonna have a light car.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude