Viper Totaled Today , PICs

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:mad: :mad: :mad:
An employee of a shop where I had my Viper for service took my 97 GTS car out for a joy ride just prior to my picking it up today. The results are seen in the pictures below. What are the actions I need to take to insure I am compensated for the full value of the car including all my mods? The employee says he is fully insured but I'm concerned that his insurance will not cover the mods. The car departed controlled flight, flew through a ditch, impacted a telephone pole and flipped on it's lid. The guy laying beside the car is not the perp, just the wrecker driver. Guess you can refer to me as Shelby 2 for now. :mad: :mad: :mad: :usa:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Truly sad. If it happened while the vehicle was in the shop's care, should be it be the responsibility of the service provider?

Good luck and very sorry.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sitting at home reading your post and looking at the pics and I am steaming! I feel your pain (I'm sure not completely). I don't know the legalities but I would have a talk with the shop owner and assure him that you WILL be fully compensated for your loss (including mods). He is ultimately responsible IMO. I wouldn't be confrontational with him immediately but I would let him know that the bad publicity you can make for him would cost him way more than his making up the difference between what the guy's insurance will pay and what you are rightfully owed.
This kind of thing ****** me off so much I cannot finish my thoughts on this!

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't even know what to say. I've seen people that have taken shop cars for little rides and maybe scraped/scratched something, maybe even a little fender bender.............but look at what he did to that beauty. I don't know how you are keeping yourself restrained right now, I'd want to pound the living crap out him.

Good luck with everything.

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Depending on why you had it in the shop, he may face criminal charges. Was there a reason he had to take it for a ride. If the answer is no, I would file charges on Unlawful Use of a Motor Vehicle (at least in Oregon). That is such B.S.!!! Even if he had to take it for a spin, I agree with ViperRay - make the shop entirely liable. After all, I'm sure they have deeper pockets.

What could he possibly have said to you? I have to know. Very sorry and I commend you on your restraint. I think if it was my car, you would have seen a large zipped-up bag next to the wrecked car.

It looks like you have two other beautiful rides to enjoy until you replace the snake!!

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I'm in shock.
I know that if one of our dealership employees wrecks a customers car, we are indeed liable. Don't settle on anything, hold out for your mod $$ invested and all.
Good luck.

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Make them replace it with one that was equally as nice as yours, after you inspect it of course, plus cost of mods. That really *****, but at least nobody was seriously hurt (meaning innocent bystanders).
I guess the supercharger was to much for him to handle. What an idiot.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am sitting at home reading your post and looking at the pics and I am steaming! I feel your pain (I'm sure not completely). I don't know the legalities but I would have a talk with the shop owner and assure him that you WILL be fully compensated for your loss (including mods). He is ultimately responsible IMO. I wouldn't be confrontational with him immediately but I would let him know that the bad publicity you can make for him would cost him way more than his making up the difference between what the guy's insurance will pay and what you are rightfully owed.
This kind of thing ****** me off so much I cannot finish my thoughts on this!

What he said..... :( This type of stuff infuriates me.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're post strengthens a great fear of mine. I am sorry for your loss. What an idiot the employee is. I would not settle for anything less that the top end value for your car plus the mods. Don't let them off the hook for this one.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really hope you can hold the responsible(irresponsible really) parties feet to the fire, or cut them off for that matter. I hope you are fully covered by the shops insurance, in Michigan i might be under your coverage(not positve). The loss should not apply to you ins. "record" similar to vandalism or having the car hit while you are not even in it. Best of luck I would talk with some attorney friends to see what you need to do to make sure you are covered and compensated fully. If the car is totaled you may be able to remove some of the parts and resell if they are not also damaged, w/o an arguement from the ins. co.

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reality check :
- do not trust the dealer, he'll still still try to get out of this situation the easy way;
- you do not only need compensation for car + mods, but also for not being able to use your toy. How much does it cost to rent a Viper ? ;)

Net, I'd urge you to get some legal help in order to be treated fair in this borderline criminal situation.
Also try to raise as much evidence as possible. When you talk to the dealer, record the conversation through your answering machine.

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
R.I.P. 97 Blue Viper. :(

They probably would have a reason to sue me, after such an accident with my car. Simply because I would've started a massacre in the shop.

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG !! I'd demand that they write me a check for the FULL replacement value and tell them to keep the car .

I hope it all works out :(

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do not take that car back no matter what, especially after it's been on a hook. Who decided anything but a flatbed would suffice? I'm really sorry this happened. I woulda gone nuts on the guy. Take anything you can get from him, what he did was inexcusable and he should pay for it for a long long time.

LIRacer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just be aware that the employee has no insurance to cover your car. You wil have to go after the shop. I would get an attorny NOW and the District Attorney and file charges for unauthorized use.

Bruce

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no professional legal advise on what you should do, but I'm sick about what happened.

If you start getting flack from the dealership, don't hesitate to contact your local TV News investigative reporting team, (the ones that love to dig up dirty stories and assess blame). they can sometimes get better results than an attorney. BUT TRY THE FULL LEGAL ROUTE FIRST. Gather as much evidence as you can about what happened, write a chronological list of the events leading up to and including this joy ride while they are all fresh in your mind.

Organized dates and times will add credibility to your case if it comes to that. Record any attempts to rectify this situation and the net outcome of each attempt. Don't use any generalities, use specific amounts on everything you are asking reinbursment for. Vehicle (apprasial from a "official regional" VCA Member ?), all mods, labor hours, etc.

I wish you the best possible outcome...

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would forget about the replacement price and force them to give you the MSRP price of the car plus the mods, brand new! There is no way that finding a seven year old car that has been babied the way you baby your own car is possible. They deserve an extra penalty and I suspect that any decent lawyer could extract it from them. What they did was really negligent. It would stike fear into the hearts of anyone on the jury. Bring the pictures, it's not like the guy got into a little fender bender with another car at the local pharmacy.

OP
OP
S

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the best method of getting an appraisal that includes the mods and one that the insurance companies and courts would recognize as credible? :usa:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll need to get an appraiser that does exotics and antiques. Your insurance adjuster (your company) should be able to arrange an appointment, but also do a serch through google.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shelby, call a GOOD attorney. And have him go for their throats. Jon B @Parts Rack could probably shed some light on this also...

Sorry to hear of the mishap to your Snake.

Dave :usa:

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Good grief, man. Don't know what to say. I'm impressed that you are being so level-headed about this.

As everyone else has said, **** the shop. They really deserve it. If they give you even one smidge of resistence over reimbursement, sue them into destitution. I'd go after the driver personally, as well, if you can.

However, what's done is done. As much is it completely *****, you can't bring it back. So, start planning what to do with the insurance money, and build yourself an even better Viper.

I noticed that your other two cars are roadsters. Perhaps that pristine '97 blue/white RT/10 that recently appeared in the classifieds would be a good place to start.

Best of luck with everything, and really sorry about your loss.

VIPERCANE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn......that pic just made me sick.......It looks just like my snake and we almost have the exact same mods done
(Roe 8lb, HRE 546s, Borla exhaust etc.) Don't settle for anything less than what you think you are owed. Was it a dealership or a tuner shop? I am not sure how you are keeping calm thru this. Best of luck to you in getting another 97 snake.

Bindy

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,

I'm really sorry to hear the horrible news. That was one beautiful ride. Wish you the best of luck in resolving this to your satisfaction. I'm sure folks like the Wizard, Bill P. or JonB can help you out with the replacement value with all those mods. Oh yeah, and get an attorney!

Donzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GET A LAWYER RIGHT AWAY, DON'T EVEN BOTHER BICKERING

GOOD LUCK
I agree 100%

That ****** me off big time!!!

I am truly sorry for your loss :(

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah well... [******] happens.

I always tell the shop NOT to drive my car unless it is necessary after they gave it a 5 mile joyride after changing it's oil.

First I would instruct the shop owner to pay replacement value of the car (you won't win on sentimental value) plus value of modifications. If he doesn't, I would contact an attorney. Also, contact the BAR (Burea of Automotive Repair) and let them know exactly what happened.

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi