Viper Totaled Today , PICs

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've noticed Shelby3's GTS is coming up for auction. I am interested in it. Is anyone else? No since me running up the bid if another VCA member is determined to get it as well.....

Thanks.

CW

OP
OP
S

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since this post has come back, it's probably time for an update. Thanks again to PartsRack, Roe Racing, Macedo Motorsports, and Vipers by Elite for assisting with documentation and invoices for my mods. JonB, Wendy Macedo, Cobra4B, Bill Sand, and Bill Pemberton for advice and information. If I forgot anyone, I apologize. THE LESSON HERE IS IF YOU HAVE A HIGHLY MODDED VIPER THAT IS TOTALED, GET AN EXOTIC CAR APPRAISER TO DO AN INDEPENDENT APPRAISAL. I used John Holmes from Speciality Vehicle Appraisal here in the metroplex. Allstate (my insurance) wanted to give me 15% of my documented mod costs in the settlement. I countered with the appraisal from Mr. Holmes and ended up with 70% on the mods. Allstate threw out their own appraisal after John showed them his stuff. (vast opening here for some cheap jokes) Allstate will subrogate to the shop owners insurance to recover their settlement to me. I'm going to get an agreed value policy on my next Viper and all other speciality cars. :usa:

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i used to have a silver srt4(neon) and i took it to car spa on va beach blvd. the manager took the car through the car wash and hot dogged it through the parking lot. i had the car set at high boost, and well he lost control of it and almost slammed into an escalade while it was having armorall aplied to its tires. all this happend right in front of me and my partner. i had to restrain him from beating the managers *ss! thank god no one was hurt.

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since this post has come back, it's probably time for an update. Thanks again to PartsRack, Roe Racing, Macedo Motorsports, and Vipers by Elite for assisting with documentation and invoices for my mods. JonB, Wendy Macedo, Cobra4B, Bill Sand, and Bill Pemberton for advice and information. If I forgot anyone, I apologize. THE LESSON HERE IS IF YOU HAVE A HIGHLY MODDED VIPER THAT IS TOTALED, GET AN EXOTIC CAR APPRAISER TO DO AN INDEPENDENT APPRAISAL. I used John Holmes from Speciality Vehicle Appraisal here in the metroplex. Allstate (my insurance) wanted to give me 15% of my documented mod costs in the settlement. I countered with the appraisal from Mr. Holmes and ended up with 70% on the mods. Allstate threw out their own appraisal after John showed them his stuff. (vast opening here for some cheap jokes) Allstate will subrogate to the shop owners insurance to recover their settlement to me. I'm going to get an agreed value policy on my next Viper and all other speciality cars. :usa:

Thanks for giving up the details. I love this site for its wealth of knowledge, that the average joe may otherwise not no. Sorry for your loss, but I am glad your up and running again. Any plans to replace? :2tu:

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just seeing those pics again makes me sick. Glad to hear you're getting close to what it's worth!! Did the idiot lose his job?

OP
OP
S

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how much did the insurance wanted to buy it back just curious ?

They wanted $15k, plus I would have lost the tax reimbursement on the balance of the settlement. Too much for the car. It is going up for auction on the 29th of this month and I'm afraid someone is going to pay too much for the car. If you're going to bid on it, get in touch with me first and I'll give you more details on the condition. I've got it replaced with this one.

You must be registered for see images

Here's a pic of the blower setup I bought from 2MANYTOYS. SCHWEEEEEEEEEEET
70mm throttle bodies and Elite airbox.

My 96 GTS is at Macedo's and won't come back to Texas until it's putting 700+ rwhp down. Making lemonade out of lemons with this experience. :D :usa:

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how much did the insurance wanted to buy it back just curious ?

They wanted $15k, plus I would have lost the tax reimbursement on the balance of the settlement. Too much for the car. It is going up for auction on the 29th of this month and I'm afraid someone is going to pay too much for the car. If you're going to bid on it, get in touch with me first and I'll give you more details on the condition. I've got it replaced with this one.

Here's a pic of the blower setup I bought from TOOMANYTOYS. SCHWEEEEEEEEEEET
70mm throttle bodies and Elite airbox.

My 96 GTS is at Macedo's and won't come back to Texas until it's putting 700+ rwhp down. Making lemonade out of lemons with this experience. :D :usa:

Hey I've seen that car before!!! :D

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,
Congrats on finding a replacement for your ride. Lots of lessons to be learned about dealing with crashes and insurance claims. Glad everything worked out well for you and enjoy that lemonade when it arrives in Texas!

Pantera

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me introduce myself. I am John Holmes!! Submit all jokes here. I am the Vehicle Appraiser that contacted Jim to help. I am sure I did. I work for I-VAN. You can go to www.i-van.org to check us out. Please if you have a modified car or any other classics, get them appraised by someone in our national organization. It is easier to prove value before the accident. It will lesson your pain!!
Everyone in our organization is a car guy. I own a 71 Pantera with a 351w efi set up!!! I also just got back form the One Lap of America a month ago!

Johnny

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me introduce myself. I am John Holmes!! Submit all jokes here. I am the Vehicle Appraiser that contacted Jim to help. I am sure I did. I work for I-VAN. You can go to www.i-van.org to check us out. Please if you have a modified car or any other classics get them appraised by someone in our national organization. It is easier to prove value before the accident. It will lesson your pain!!
Everyone in our organization is a car guy. I own a 71 Pantera with a 351w efi set up!!! I also just got back form the One Lap of America a month ago!

Johnny

Cool, thanks for letting us know.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I've seen both of those cars somewhere, but my memory isn't what it once was...

Hey I have both of these cars too..... both are fine specimens of Vipers... both owners took very good care of them both. The combination of the two will surly produce a beast. The both are in the care of a very fine surgeon... the master of Roe S/C beast builder.

The new own will be very please with results... congrats Shelby3

Cudaman :usa:

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i used to have a silver srt4(neon) and i took it to car spa on va beach blvd. the manager took the car through the car wash and hot dogged it through the parking lot. i had the car set at high boost, and well he lost control of it and almost slammed into an escalade while it was having armorall aplied to its tires. all this happend right in front of me and my partner. i had to restrain him from beating the managers *ss! thank god no one was hurt.
So , you have a Neon and a Partner?

OP
OP
S

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
where is this auction at?? dealer auction or ebay auction??

It's going off on the 29th of this month at a salvage auction in Ft. Worth. I passed on it for 15K from the insurance company and I know the car.

I can't emphasize enough how much the appraiser, Mr. Holmes, impacted my settlement amount. If your car has major mods, get someone who knows what he is looking at to do an appraisal. :usa: :usa:

OP
OP
S

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told that the car sold on the 15th of this month and went for 23K. That's more than I thought it was worth. If the buyer reads this board and has any questions about the car, feel free to shoot me a PM with questions. :usa:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about what it would cost to rebuild the car but someone could make money parting it out at $15k.
$23k sounds a little high.
What do you think the engine would be worth?

MikeV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me introduce myself. I am John Holmes!! Submit all jokes here. I am the Vehicle Appraiser that contacted Jim to help. I am sure I did. I work for I-VAN. You can go to www.i-van.org to check us out. Please if you have a modified car or any other classics, get them appraised by someone in our national organization. It is easier to prove value before the accident. It will lesson your pain!!

Johnny

I wish I had known this last fall. My 95 M3 (not quite an exotic) had paint damage from a body shop, I sued them, but lost because I failed to show depreciation (well, I technically won, but the $100 settlement was a slap in the face). If I had gotten my car apraised I would have a new paint job now :eek:

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shelby3,

Glad to hear this whole thing is working out best it can for you. :) Recovering 70% of mods cost is awesome. More than most would if selling the car outright, unwrecked.

I have to ask, did you have the mods listed on the insurance policy? In other words did you just have a Viper insured or a moded Viper insured?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WITHOUT QUESTION GET A LAWYER AND A INDEPENDANT APPRAISER OF FINE AUTOMOBILES ALONG WITH ALL RECEIPTS FOR MODS..VERY IMPORTANT..GET A CK FOR TOTALLED CAR PLUS MODS PLUS LAWYER FEES AND EXPENSES..TAKE THEM TO THE CLEANERS! PLUS I WOULD FILE A CRIMINAL REPORT..THE JOY RIDE WAS UNAUTHORIZED

Dude... ***... you are a year and 1/2 late on that one.. damn..

OP
OP
S

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took Adam's advice and recovered an additional $150k in punitive damages late this afternoon.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IS THERE ANY POSSIBLE WAY YOU CAN BUY ME A TICKET TO BEAT THE SHT OUT OF THIS GUY?

jimster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took Adam's advice and recovered an additional $150k in punitive damages late this afternoon.

Dude.....you're ******** me....right?

If you're not, get that VT you've been lusting after

OP
OP
S

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually in hindsight, losing the first car was not a bad thing. I met many good people and made some great friends putting the replacement car together and in that regard, it was a good thing.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please tell us the final tally on what was given to you after court. That was an event that could happen to any of us and I sympathise with you. Kudos to you for your success in dealing with this, no doubt a result of tact, reason, and tremendous patience. :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi