Viper vs. Diablo

MikeDGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought I would pass along the details of a good race. Last week, my father was nice enough to let me take out his '99 Diablo VT Roadster, while I let my buddy drive my 2000 GTS. We managed to find open road and slowed down to about 10 mph. We gave each other the signal and off we were. The two beautiful cars screaming down US 19 (for you FL members), both cars were neck, only slight leads from different shift points. Unfortunately, we quickly came to a light, hitting a top speed of about 130 mph. To my surprise it looked like the Viper was going to pull away slightly (maybe 1/4 car length ahead). I figured the top end of the Diablo would be taking over by 130, but the Viper was holding strong. Needless to say we made it to our destination very quickly (*******). Just to let you all know, the Viper is much easier and more fun to drive. However, if you think the Viper turns heads, the Diablo is another level. IMO not worth the $300,000 price tag, but if Dad wants to get a 2001 6.0L or the Murcielago, Im definitely game for another test run.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That race sounds like a blast. I'm not particularly surprised -- the Diablos' trap speed in the mags is 121, and that's if you do the maximum-abuse launch. Compare that to the magazine's 119 mph trap for the Viper, and you start to see how they might be very equal on the road.

As for turning heads, try adding a wing and a few stickers to your Viper. It makes quite a difference -- my wife's Daytona is considerably worse than my yellow RT in attracting gawkers.

remster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that turns heads too :)

You must be registered for see images

VT roadster '99, MOMO edition.

what color is your dad's?

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow!!! I raced my friends diablo too. He has a 91 non VT. His car was stronger that I thought it would be, but when I shifted from 2nd to 3rd at about 75 MPH. It was all over. I dont think people know how strong the viper is in 2nd gear at high RPMs.

I would have love to seen your race with your dads VT. I bet it look and sounded sweet.

G
embarass.gif

prohydro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remster, I'm just curious: where do you store your car? You mentioned taking it back to storage. I was wondering where?

Edit to clarify: Actually I was wondering if you have a commercial place store it. A business partner and I have been working on a plan for something like that, and I am searching out the competition.

Thanks.

remster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the good folks at Ferrari of Seattle. About 300 bucks a month.
They can service my car too so it's nice.

remster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the lambo feels much heavier, at least mine with the all wheel drive. I'm not surprised by Gary's comment about the viper doing good with 2 and 3rd.
The lambo's shifter is really like the grid on the outside... a bit clumsy. So that may take a smidge longer to shift. I always mess up from 4 back to 3 trying to find the middle...

The stock lambo is better at high speed than stock vipers, I would think, with it's down force and also lateral wedge shape.
But for 3 times the price, this is not really cost effective.
What I was after when I got it was the experience, and the distinctive spaceship look.
Bringing mine to storage the other day, the garage guy drove it around the block, and I watched my car... man, I don't really get to see it move because it's always me inside. Wow. A hell of a ride.
This is worth saving for! But keep your viper too :)