Viper w/ Pilot Sport Cups handles pretty good in torrential downpours

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There was just a 10% chance of rain, so I went for a cruise. Wound up getting caught in the middle of nowhere in a VERY heavy downpour, with dime sized hail, flash flooding, and up to a foot of standing water. Viper handled fine through all of it, even with the Pilot Sport Cups. As usual, it stopped raining about one minute before I found cover.

fwiw, I've logged well over 1,000 miles driving 500+HP vettes in the rain (with max perf summer tires), so I wasn't too nervous. I've only got 3 days experience driving a Gen IV Viper, or driving on PSC tires, so I didn't push it as hard as my C6Z in the rain.

Finally got a couple of pics of the car too (w/ cell phone).

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is good to hear. I have always dreaded getting caught in the rain with the cups even to the point of putting a set of ss on. I may wait a while now. It would be interesting to see if anyone else is willing to share their experiences in the rain in an ACR w/cups

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive my car everyday. I live in south fl. When raining You just slow your speed and they work fine never had any problems with the cups.

OP
OP
T

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is good to hear. I have always dreaded getting caught in the rain with the cups even to the point of putting a set of ss on. I may wait a while now. It would be interesting to see if anyone else is willing to share their experiences in the rain in an ACR w/cups

It was raining so hard that I had to drive in the center lane because the L and R lanes were completely flooded.

I drive my car everyday. I live in south fl. When raining You just slow your speed and they work fine never had any problems with the cups.

The rain is absolute hell in Florida. If you can do it down there, it can be done anywhere. :)

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Love the pics with the water on the hood. I've been caught in monsoon rains (drove about 90 miles to Carlisle a couple years back) on my PS2s. Just like driving them in cold weather, don't do any funny business, and you'll be fine. So will the car!!

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove mine home from the dealer in the rain, there are no problems with the PSC's if you control your right foot.... :)

PJ9454

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a set of Good Year F1's on a 500 h.p. Trans Am I owned, great traction in the dry BUT what was amazing is how they just BITE into the pavement in the rain. They were just amazing. I tried to find some for rain tires on my road course car and nothing in the proper size. I would love to try them on a Viper..but I dont see them in the proper size for Vipers either. As far as these Viper tires go in the rain...they act like Hoosier R6's race tires. They bite OK in the wet but when they slip they fall off a cliff (like a slick type tire typically does) so be fast on the wheel and be cautious.

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do realize your car is now unsalable due to being in the rain don't you? :rolleyes:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've also adjusted the shocks breaking the tape seals on them, so it might be worth $1.83 now. Solid cars aren't worth anything anyway.... :D

Not just solid cars Eric, it's all Gen 4's.
According to the brokedick knowitall's only Gen 2's and Gen 5's are any good.

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
standing water is the killer.... once the car gets a slick snot of water under the tires in which the sport cups cannot channel fast enough it is hold on tight time... :)

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Heck, I just sold my Gen II! I guess looking at my Gen IV tail lights is a better view for the Gen II's...... ;)

Gen V might be a few more pennies than I want to spend, we'll see if it is faster than our Gen IV ACR's at the track.....

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heck, I just sold my Gen II! I guess looking at my Gen IV tail lights is a better view for the Gen II's...... ;)

Gen V might be a few more pennies than I want to spend, we'll see if it is faster than our Gen IV ACR's at the track.....

Funny you should mention that.
I asked a certain professional driver who drove a car that looks just like mine at a German racetrack last September what he thought.
About the Gen 5 beating the Gen 4 ACR at that German track.

He said (in his opinion) no way without the aero and Sports Cups.
We'll see.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score

LMAO, being a gen 3 owner is even worse, I am pretty sure I own the worst car on the planet. Of course I only feel that way on Viper forums, in the real world the feeling is opposite.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960