Viper walks away from a ZO6?

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is this propaganda that keeps getting pushed in my face (by my Vette lovin friend) about an 01 ZO6 doing 0-60 in a flat 4.0 seconds. I don't belive it. My GTS can't do 4.0 (at least I don't think so) and it will walk away from any stock Vette Z06 or not. What's up with this? Even Chevy puts the 4.0 bogus claim in their brochure and now the Wall Street Journal 3/23 listed it at 4.0. and the Viper at 4.3. Maybe the 02 with the larger motor but not the 01 unless my Viper is doing a 3.8 and I don't know it.

Does anybody know the TRUTH!

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vettes VS Vipers is one subject i can now talk about without bias. My GTS is arriving tuesday or wednesday, i already have the plates and ready to go. I also have a zr1 modified and over the years i have played here and there with lots of cars. I have had my share of vipers mostly R/T's and they were kind of easy. I also have had my share of LT1's, lt4's, and c5's modified and stock. They were pretty easy too. I did run a GTS from a roll and he took off just a little before i did but i immediately went by him took the vette to 7000 rpm missed second and the GTS looked very nice from the rear. So had i not missed second it would have been interesting, as both cars have top end.
Now i can do my own testing at leasure and make my own conclusions. I will say however that most zr1's out there are modified, some a little and some a lot. I have friends that can rev them to the 7400 rpm mark and when these cars are at the lights they just look like normal vettes.

Has anybody else had experiences with zr1's?

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 4.0 0-60 time was GM's version of cold fusion. It was just a marketing statement picked up run with by the press. I know a few Z06 owners that would love to know how to get their cars to pull that number. And if I recall correctly the 3.8 time for a Viper was in Popular Mechanics. Wasn't it thier driver that pulled an 11 second quarter mile time as well?

Luetic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the lit. that I've read from Vette is 0-60 in 4 seconds. They just fail to leave off the fact that its 4.9 seconds. The same as a BMW 4 Door Sedan, he he (M5)
and yes it was Popular mag w/ the 3.8 test of a 97 GTS!

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I have both Vettes and Vipers I can tell you that the Viper has the edge in power and torque over a stock C5. The Awe factor
goes to the Viper no question! I would have no problem driving a C5 as a daily driver but I would not want to drive the Viper daily any more than I would any other exotic. For comfort and civility the C5 has the edge with more room, visibility, and creature comforts.
Now when your talking about the Z06 vs Viper they compare more evenly as the torque of the Z06 feels (sotp) much more like any of the Vipers I have owned. The creature comforts are nearly gone, and the cabin is more noisy than the other C5s.
The down side of the Viper is it is more than 50% more expensive,
but there is no getting around that it is a different car than a Vette and worth every penny!
As for the few tenths of a second faster or slower, it just proves again it comes down to the driver on any given day.
No one should spend the extra money on a Viper just for a few tenths of a second, it doesn't make good financial sense.
It's all the other "stuff" that makes the Viper worth the extra money- The styling, exclusivity, Awe factor, etc.
I do think the new 03 Viper styling moves the cars even closer, remember the 50th anniversary of the Vette is coming up (03 I think) and DC can't rely on 500 HP to sell the Viper alone. I think the Vette will get new styling and 450-475 HP by 03-04. Time will tell, but in the mean time I'll take both!
Regards,
Steve

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that my 99 GTS will beat non modified Vettes in pure acceleration, but there are so many more elements of speed.

I think that given similarly prepared cars and equal drivers, that a Z06 will be very close to a Viper GTS on a road course.

I've run my Viper at a couple of track days including the March Viper Days event at Thunderhill, and hope to see some Z06s at future track events this summer. A good comparison of the cars will be difficult to make because so much depends on driver skill and daring.

My wife and I have ordered a new Z06 and we'll get it out to the track sooner or later. I plan to take both cars to the same track event and compare them. While I do not expect to get the full potential out of either car, at least I'll have a baseline of comparison for myself.

Jim

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I can tell you for a fact, all of us vette guys are pretty pissed that GM always comes SOOOOO close to making a viper killer, but never goes that extra mile to do it. We are all hoping for it to come in 2003/04.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then all you vette guys will be very disappointed when the GenII Viper comes out, as you will be left further behind.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

There's a lot of spouting off here about how a 4.0 sec 0-60 isn't even close to possible for a Z06. Let's just say I own both, and on the same day, same stretch of road with a G-Tech, I tested both cars and pulled a best of 4.21 sec in my GTS (see the mods below) and in the Z06 (bone stock).... 4.15 sec. If I can do that, and I am far from a well-seasoned drag racer, I believe 4.0 sec is easily in the realm of possibility for the Z06. (I might add that my 336 rwhp is on the low end for stock Z06's....They go up to 345 rwhp.)

That being said, the Z06 peters out (compared with a Viper) after 2nd gear, and if you put slicks on the Viper (which I did on that same day), my 0-60 went down to 3.6 sec. I don't believe you'd see such a difference on the Z06. The Viper is definitely a very traction limited 0-60 of low 4's.

DWParsons1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those of you experiencing sleepless nights worrying about the GTS' performance vis a vis the Z06 can rest assured - the Viper still kicks bowtie a**

Auto World weekly did a side-by-side in their 12/9/00 issue:

Viper 0-60 4.0 sec
Viper 1/4 mile 12.0 sec @ 118.1 mph

Z06 0-60 4.5 sec
Z06 1/4 mile 12.7 sec @ 112.0 mph

As Ron Fellows said after getting drilled by Oreca in the 2000 Daytona 24hr "Geez, I'm getting sick of following those guys" - Hey Ron, get used to it babay!

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The latest production numbers on C5s is closer to 33,000 per year. It's hard to stand out when they produce these numbers.

Brad <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DJH94RT/10:
I got rid of my C-5 for a Viper. I have raced many Vettes in my bone stock 94 and spanked them all. I tried to get a guy in a silver Z06 to race one time, he would not do it. Why buy a sports car if your not going to flex it's muscles once and a while(that is another story). What moves a car? TORQUE!! stock
stock C-5 around 350 pounds of torque Z06 385, Viper 490!!!!! You do the math. No question the Vette is a Rolls Royce on the inside compared to the Viper. And I would not suggest driving the Viper on a Dailey basis. All said and done I got more looks from people the first day I had my Viper than the whole time I had my Vette. I love th Vette but they produce 10,000 a year compared to the Viper 1,000 I'll stick with my Viper.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
beggar,

Have you driven a Z06? I have had a 97 GTS and an 00 GTS with an 01 ACR on the way (about a week out)
The gearing in the Z06 allows reaching the torque band very quickly. See venom lovers G-tech 1/4 times-which proves the sotp
feeling of both cars being close (at least to the 1/4)
I would agree with you about a stock C5- no comparison to a Viper in torque! The Z06 is truly a differant feel than a stock
C5. I love both cars for differant reasons, and if you are one of those who would spend the extra money for a few tenths of second, you could buy a Z06 and mod it out with money to spare over a Viper. Again I believe it's the "other stuff" that makes the Viper worth the extra money.
Regards,
steve

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As an owner of both zo6 and gts's I can tell you positively the viper is faster and quicker than a zo6 about .5 sec and 5 mph in the quarter, but you better be able to drive your viper my zo6 ran 12.24 at 115 its first day out bone stock, and my buddy Jason Heffner was there with his viper watching in amazement as I was suprised myself. The vettes a nice car and if a viper is too pricey for you the vettes an excellent choice, a
great car but theres nothing like a viper to me. The viper has got the look and the engine and for the price you can't beat it.
the vette on average is only about 15k cheaper than a viper definatly not 50%.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960