Viper will not stay running?

vettegc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1996 viper dies when I let off the gas? Any suggestions on where to start looking?

Also anyone have a pic of how there cables are connected on the battery charge points under the hood? Mine was connected to some kind of device that allows you to break the circuit but it broke off the other day. It took me a while to figure out why I had no juice. I just put the two red wires together. There is a green wire that goes under some plastic wrapping? I was just looking to put it back the way it was. Any chance this is related to why my car keeps dying? Thanks

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1996 viper dies when I let off the gas? Any suggestions on where to start looking?

Also anyone have a pic of how there cables are connected on the battery charge points under the hood? Mine was connected to some kind of device that allows you to break the circuit but it broke off the other day. It took me a while to figure out why I had no juice. I just put the two red wires together. There is a green wire that goes under some plastic wrapping? I was just looking to put it back the way it was. Any chance this is related to why my car keeps dying? Thanks

You probably should post a picture of what you are referring to.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also anyone have a pic of how there cables are connected on the battery charge points under the hood? Mine was connected to some kind of device that allows you to break the circuit but it broke off the other day. It took me a while to figure out why I had no juice. I just put the two red wires together. There is a green wire that goes under some plastic wrapping? I was just looking to put it back the way it was.s
Here are a couple of photos from the member's galleries. I do not know what year car this is. My 2002 has covering over those wires. Can't see colors on mine.
9882Dsc01369.jpg

9882Dsc01368.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vettegc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea that's it! It must have been the problem because car idles fine now! Thanks

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The thicker (Heavier Gauge) wire, the more current is running thru it. ALL wires should be cleaned often & coated with a sealer (I use Vasaline). Even the ground wires. :eater: Glad you found it.

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was the battery dead or did you have to jump start the car recently? I had the same problem with my Viper dying at idle after I had to jump start it. I started the car 5 or 6 times to get the computer to "learn" again. After that, the car would stay at idle.

OP
OP
V

vettegc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was the battery dead or did you have to jump start the car recently? I had the same problem with my Viper dying at idle after I had to jump start it. I started the car 5 or 6 times to get the computer to "learn" again. After that, the car would stay at idle.

Well I went to a show last weekend and when I went to leave I had no juice. So I jump started it but every time I removed the jumper cables the car died. I didn't know what was going on. It turned out to be a post on this little circuit breaker device that someone installed had broken. So at the time I just connected the wire that were to and from the circuit breaker together and all was good for a while but then it wouldn't idle. Idk maybe its something to do with computer?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You need to figure out what the added curcuit breaker is for
and repair/remove it. Maybe a kill switch or car alarm?

If you completely discharge the battery the computer will need
to relearn the pedal position and idle. After recharging (suggest
replacing) the battery, turn the key to accessory position, and
then just push the throttle to the floor a couple of times. Then
drive it smoothly where you change throttle alot (like a twisty
road or surface street) for about 15-20min but be ready for it
to stall out again. I like to approch stops and clutch out early so
if it stalls you can pop the clutch and restart it long before you
have to stop. Once the CPU relearns normal operation the car
will return to normal in a short time.

Once you fix the curcuit - Two words: Battery Tender.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte