Viper won't start

Un'sidepiper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper won\'t start

Hey guys recently I have moved to a new house and the viper sat for a long time with no attention. Well you guessed it the battery went dead. I charged it with a trickle charger for the required 8-12 hours and my viper still will not fire up. It really tries to, I get the crank and a little rumble from the exhaust, all the lights, stero, etc seem to work. She just will not stay running. Any reason you guys can think of would be great.

OP
OP
U

Un'sidepiper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Viper won\'t start

my viper has an aftermarket alarm and I do not have the orginal key fobs. I guess I can locate the alarm "brain" under the dash and reset from there. You are suggesting the alarm is blocking the car from starting?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Will the engine turn over, but not fire, or will it not turn over at all? If the latter, I'd just save yourself any headaches and buy a new battery.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score

yes a bad battery will let it run then die and it will not start again. I had the same problem. Charged the battery, it would start then just die and not start again. It almost always the case with these cars

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When I had this problem, it was the alarm PCB. I also had the alarm light coming on at odd times. Replaced the alarm and primary PCBs, and haven't had a problem since. Many people insisted it was the battery, but in my case it wasn't.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When I had this problem, it was the alarm PCB. I also had the alarm light coming on at odd times. Replaced the alarm and primary PCBs, and haven't had a problem since. Many people insisted it was the battery, but in my case it wasn't.
Matt, who do you use as your Viper tech?

OP
OP
U

Un'sidepiper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The car will turn over, infact it runs for 1-2 seconds but dies. It was running fine when the battery died. So far the battery is holding a charge on its own and the alarm has been reset. It almost seems it is out of gas but I know that is not the case because just to double check I put 5 gallons in...

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I would install a new battery anyway. From my experiences it will continue to crap out on you and I did get my car to chug for a second or two last time my battery was close to dead. You could (if you have not done so already)pull the wheel and inspect the old one for corrosion/loose terminals, etc. Loose/corroded battery terminals have given me similar symptoms on a previous car.

Out of the blue, but check your spark plug wires....rodents have been known to chew them after a long storage. Not likely, as the car does start up for a second, but who knows.

Just a thought.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My own experience with this is that you should replace the battery. When my second battery went, I was told (by the Wiz) that the "reserve" went. First I found the battery low after a 2 week parked period. Not completely dead, but not enough power to turn over. Jumping worked as long as I held the rpms over a grand for about 30-60 seconds. Then it would hold an idle. Battery came back a bit since I could restart the car after an hour's drive (after a 30 minute park). But after 24 hours, I was back to the low amperage situation.

Vipers are notorious for acting "weird" when the battery gets low. Do yourself a favor and replace it now.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds EXACTLY like the alarm is set. If you try to start my Viper when I screw up and set off the alarm, this is exactly like it behaves. I can't believe it is the battery if the engine turns over.

I'm interested in the Alarm PCB issue. I'm a bit of an expert on this. Anyone else have the PCB changed out?