Viperclub .com

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Skip Thomas said we had ~37 off-track (4 wheels off) excursions at Buttonwillow last weekend -- no collisions or damage, which he noted was unusual. A porsche did come real close to stuffing it into the wall but managed to wrestle a save. One could see where 1 or 2 cars could sustain damage a weekend in a high speed event like this. I think the buttonwillow results speak to the high caliber of professionalism and talent present in the west coast drivers.
yesnod.gif

your michelin safety poster child,

Reaction score
Losing cars at open track events happens. Viper Days emphasis on safety is tops. On the West, Coast Green and Checkered Flag also focus on safety.

Typically accidents happen when we push our limits without developing the performance driving skills first. Car Control is a critical skill to develop before pushing limits.

NASA can be a fun group to run with but they are a lot less concerned about safety. If you have a caged RX7 you will feel at home. But I would not suggest this group wihtout a lot of track time and skills. Stay away from the guys who think they are racing.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I went to two events with Speed Ventures, and one with TCRA, and everyone obeyed the passing rules, as far as I know. These events were all at Willow Springs.

The last Viper Days event at Buttonwillow, there was a slow car in the beginners group, and he was holding up like 4 cars for about three laps. It took forever for the corner workers to blue flag him.

The first time the slow car gave a wave by, there was only room for two cars to pass, and they each passed in turn, in the order they were following.

The next passing zone, the slow car waved traffic by again, but the yahoo behind me did not want to take his turn, and passed me and the slow car without a wave by from me. Its not like I was failing to take the wave by, its just that the yahoo behind me did not want to wait for anything, and was already jumping on it before the slow car had even started to signal the wave by. And if he thinks he is so fast, why is he in the beginners group? And no matter what his perspective on the incident, he still ignored the rules, and will likely ignore the rules in other situations as well. In the beginners group, the wave by reduces the chance for contact between cars.

I was not the one who was holding up traffic, yet the anxious Viper driver behind me just blasted the safety rules all to h*ll, and put his own will ahead of the rules, and ahead of safety. In so doing, he endangered himself, and also me. What assurance did he have that I would not veer into his path, since I had not indicated anyone to pass? People like that make Viper drivers look like as*e*s.

If I see any more behaviour like that, I will raise holy hell. Its driving school, not an open wheel race.

Rant over!

Reaction score
Vic, unsafe passing is a good reason to have a talk with the track steward, Skip or Courtney. I know they do not allow unsafe driving.

That said when you get stuck behind slow traffic without an opportunity to pass pull into the pits to get a good gap between cars. There is no reason to feel like you are being held up for 3 laps. Getting frustrated only makes driving more risky.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Fred is right on track,and it is definitely the safest venue out there for Viper owners. Not to sound elitist, but most Snake Pilots aren't nearly as comfortable with a $3,000 car buzzing around the track with them, as other Viper owners who are also concerned about keeping the car unmarred.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Ok, Fred, I hear ya'

I did tell Skip and Courtney, and I am sure they did the right thing.

Other than that, I had a great time. Its hard not to have fun at Viper Days!

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it was at a Nor-Cal Shelby club event at Laguna Seca earlier this year, we witnessed a guy, in his newly build Ricer, on a warm up lap, stuff the car backwards in the wall after turn three.

This guy ignored completely all the coaching. Obviously the yokel was out to set a lap record before he or his car were ready.

First session of the weekend, get the feel of the car - the feel of the track - each session out, bring the speed up slowly - look for mistake free laps.
Most of us run our quickest laps the second day.
All the organizations I have run with go over and over safety - Skip in particular pounds it into our heads, I think because he fully understands the incredible speeds we carry in the Viper.

Obviously the yokel mention above was out to set a lap record beofre he or his car were ready.

SO - moral of the story is - seat time, practice, driving schools, instructors in your car - leave your ego at home.

I find drivers of Viper, Ferrari, Corvette etc for the most part keen to go quick, but not at the expense of stuffing their car in a wall. I assert common sense prevails. Viper days at Button willow is certainly evidence of this - there were some radical fast times laid down, particularly by the Southern California guys an those cars went home in one piece.

For those of you that missed this event - it was special.

Bottom line still is, how you drive your car on the track, with the experience you have - know your limits, stay within those limits and you will be fine.

In this sport there will always be incidents - I think that is part of the rush - finding the edge, in perhaps it would be more thruth full to say "having a peek at the edge from a short distance"...is the rush.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done only one Viper Days event at Watkins and the emphasis on Saftey was high and for good reason. Personally, I think I can push the car way more than I do, but I know my insurance won't pay for damage, and my pockets are shallow compared to some other guys.

No matter what event, and I've done a fair share at different tracks, I don't cross "that" line, but to many others do and those are the ones you have to watch and the ones no driving school can control.

Andrew