Viperdays - Buttonwillow 9/7-8

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First a big THANK YOU to Viperdays: Skip, Courtney and the whole event staff including Russell and Tom, you guys put on a great event. I've been to a bunch opentrack events and none approach the quality, professionalism, track time, meals, instruction, vendors and camaraderie. You guys put on a hell of a good show and I wish you ran more events in the west. Any one that hasn't gone should really consider this event as enjoying the next level of viper-ness.

The weather cooperated with 83-85F and cloudless both days, just a slight breeze, we hardly needed shade. We ran config 13 counterclockwise, which basically made this a new track, and I ran 76 laps over 8 30 minute sessions during the weekend. This is a ton of track time.

There were 4-5 PanozGTS cars and maybe 1/2 dozen other non-vipers out of ~75 cars. There were 37-off track excursions, no collisions or wall contact though one porsche came da*n close despite numerous advance warnings.

I'd say the SoCal to NorCal ratio was about 4:1, and it was good to put faces and personalities with all of the names.

Saturday night getting rowdy with the post-dinner gang was a blast. But we'll leave that there.

The track then got oiled-down on Sunday afternoon by a broken oil pan crunched on the curbing in the esses. That made for some pretty tentative laps in the session immediately following.

I ended up turning a 2:11.0 which I felt was pretty acceptable on what was basically a new track. The cool part is there is still lots of overhead to go get with more seat time.

Of the guys I came down with, Cameron Corey (01 RT) turned a 2:21 which was an outstanding showing for a first-timer. Gavin Gear (96, Venom500 GTS) should be a little ashamed his equipment prep guaranteed a podium finish because only three guys showed up in his class (guess there is something to learn there). Good job on the first place finish none the less (and did you find that sheep you went looking for in the weeds?).

I have one of those totally exhausted deals going, too much sun, too much adrenaline, too much fun, I'll need a couple of days to recuperate.

Your Michelin safety poster child,

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So many faces and Vipers I never get to meet them all. Eric, sorry we didn't meet. Yes, it was a fantastic weekend... lots of track time, nice weather, good food, and time spent with your friends and racing buddies
smile.gif

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow - Skip and his crew put on a first class event and had great people like Dan Cragen and his crew there to take care of our cars.
This one very well run outfit putting on a top class event.

You Southern California guys/girls are a class bunch - friendly and helpful - full of tips for us slower NorCal guys on how to go quicker. [there were some awfully quick NorCal guys there too]

I am really looking forward to the next event with you all. Green Flag is running Thunderhill September 21 & 22 so come on up - it will be a better event with you guys there.

Eric is soooooooo modest - didn't mention he won the award for "safest Driver" - putting in 31/2 to 4 hrs on the track over two days, putting in laps at 2:11 and not going off is certainly not an easy thing to do. Well done mate - now you know I had to go looking for that sheep just so you could take that award !!!!

We are **** proud of our mate Cameron Cory - he did all the first step brake changes to his car that he should for a track event then had doubts about participating- well did he participate - he did very well and put in very respectable times for a rookie and he did not go off the track ( ok I know of Mumfords theory that "you aren't trying hard enough if you're not going off" but he is in his own class, we all want to get to his level of ability, but to do so we have to keep our cars in one piece - Mumford laid down a 1:55 folks - now how many Vodkas did he buy Courtney????)

I think it is vital to say something about the Viper - thank you Dodge - what a car. Skip was telling the guys in White Group - you are going as fast as the Racing group (Red)and you don't have roll bars or fire supression like Red group has. So whats the point -- These guys (white) are driving street cars and putting in 'prepped race car' times - awesome.
Doesn't matter how good the driver is though, without the right car it ain't gonna happen - so my hat is off to Dodge.

Drove my car 3 hours to the track from Monterey, drove the wheels of it all weekend and had just a fabulous time both on and off the track, loaded all my junk in the trunk and drove it home.

I think Eric mentioned there were about 75 cars at the event - very professional group of drivers - excellent on-track courtesy
and a great bunch off track

This event is worth showing up for even if you are not ready to put your car on the track - there is certainly plenty of room to add a "Viper Show" to the event

Looking forward to the next one guys

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Although I could only stay one day, I had a great time. I didn't try too hard, just sorta took my time. (Sounds like an excuse, oh well!)

This was the second track I have been to. Willow Springs was the other track. The other track groups can be really good, but....

Nothing compares to a Viper Days event!

Professional, Viper specific instruction. Makes you a safer driver, helps you to understand and appreciate your Viper and its capabilities. Great comraderie, (oh yeah, somebody said that already) But its true!

Viper Days rocks! Thanks to Skip, Courtney, and all the real fine folks whose names escape me right now, that put on the event. You are appreciated!

CT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the nice remarks!! It means alot to ALL of us on the Viper Days Team!! We met TONS of new people and had great "Safe" weekend! Thanks to all of you who support Viper Days, we could not do it without you all!! Looking forward to the Finals and more events out West next year!!

Viper Days