Vipers and Ebay

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am just curious how many of you have purchased your Viper on ebay? I did, but it was because the dealer would not sell it to me directly before the auction ended. They though they could get more then I was offering Ended up great, I saved a few thousand dollars.

The car even came from the first owner 20 miles from me, although I had to go to Dallas to get it. Small world.

Just curious.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will probably be buying a viper on ebay in the spring. so im curious to hear if anyone had troubles or what they thought about it.

OP
OP
I

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a great experience with mine. I saw a lot of pictures and I flew to Dallas to get it. Just needed tires, but they told me that before I got there.

I always see a lot of them on ebay, just curious on how many actually sell.

As long as you talk to the seller, I don't see a problem with it.

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found mine on Ebay but did not win the auction and the reserve was not met. The owner called me that night and we came to an agreed price and the rest is history. This is the second car that I have bought off the Internet. I think that this will be the only that I will shop.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine on Ebay, and it turned out great! Just before that, I had a HORRIBLE experience. I flew to Florida to buy one and it turned out to be wrecked. I thought I had investigated it, but I hadn't done enough. If you do it, have someone from the board go look at it. If it's inspected, and fine, you should be OK.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I "bought" a Viper on ebay. The guy refused to sell it. It was a 93 with low miles. His start was $35k. This was about a year and a half ago. I won the auction because I was the only bidder and he had no reserve. I had talked to him by email during the auction but at the end, he sent me an email and said, "Sorry Joe, there weren't enough bids". And that was that.
I found out who he was. He was an orthopedic surgeon in southern Virginia. He just had no intention of selling at a price that didn't suit him, auction or not.
Of course, ebay couldn't do anything about it.

About a week after that, I bid on another one. Every time I bid I was outbid by this one guy. I looked at his history and saw that he had never bought anything but CDs and comic books. I complained to ebay and they dumped him a few days later. I didn't get back into the bidding on that car.

Shortly after, I bought the one I have from a VCA classified ad.

OLXRAM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ive had some crappy things happen to me on Ebay too. I bought mine off of Autotrader.com I had a couple motorcycles on Ebay for sale and I was monitoring the bids but I wasnt home when they closed and some jack ass with 0 feedback kept overbidding everything and locking everyone else out. Needless to say he didnt pay and wouldnt answer emails. Thats the bad thing with Ebay, even if you get kicked off you can just get another ID.

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my 2002 GTS thru Ebay from a dealer - it was new so no real issues - bought car with 30 miles for $11k off sticker - I have however had a person stiff me that won an auction and did not follow thru - lost a solid second place bidder as a result on a $10k item - ended up selling later for $8k

PETSN8K

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was watching your car on Ebay. They listed it three times. On the third time they lowered the reserve towards the end of the auction. You got a great deal. Very nice car!

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine on Ebay, seller disclosed all issues with the car. Got a good price, and am satisfied with the purchase.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have spent countless hours looking at Vipers on Ebay. I ended up buying a new one, but would not have hesitated to buy one from a reputabe seller. I did notice that for the most part though, the amount bidders were willing to spend and what reserves sellers had set rarely ever got met.

Or they would put no reserve and end the auction early if bid amount didn't meet their need.

Every now and then though, some really good deals come along.

PETSN8K

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If this is the car I think it is, iispms got one of the best deals I've seen on Ebay. Congrats! You'll love her!

OP
OP
I

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If it was the one that went for 40,100, that was the one I got. I was bidding on two. Ironically, the other one ended at teh exact price, but did nto meet reserve.

I didn't realize that the car had been on ebay 3 times. I had actaully found it on autotrader.com and just happened to stumble across it on ebay. I bought my S2000 on autotrader.com as well. Flew to Pittsburg to get that one.

I was excited to see them drop the reserve. My max bid was a couple thousand higher, so it saved me money!!

I am just happy to be a Viper owner now....ordered a set of track tires and wheels yesterday. RACING THIS WEEKEND!!

I was just curious about all the other ones I see and whether they sell or not.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine on eBay as well. It was a great experience. :laugh: The dealer was caught in a bad situation and needed to get rid of the car. I was able to save $10,000 of sticker on a brand new car. :D I try to purchase all my cars now on eBay. You get to save so much. Just make sure that the person you are dealing with is reputable and also if possible have someone see the car prior to purchasing.

V10 ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought mine on e-bay. Just barely met the reserve and the seller delivered to my door 800 miles in an enclosed trailer. Very happy with the deal.

PETSN8K

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes sir, that's the car. They were asking somewhere around $45k in the autotrader. You got the car for under low retail which I consider very good, especially considering the exceptional condition the car appeared to be in.

Anyway, about ebay. I just sold my '95 R/T on ebay, then turned around and bought a '99 GTS off ebay last night. So far this will make the third Viper I have bought off ebay, and the third vehicle I have sold on ebay ('01 Z06, '00 Hummer,'95 Viper R/T). Maybe I've been lucky, but everyone I have delt with has been top notch. This includes all the other items I have purchased off of ebay. No complaints (yet).

OP
OP
I

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Clayton, I was wondering when you were going to pop up. I am going to both, but hopefully I will stay on the road with this car. Get one of yours built and come with me! The speedvision viper is coming out with us this weekend. Should be fun!

BIGBADCJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BOUGHT BOTH MINE OF EBAY, DROVE THE 94 BACK FROM BOSTON TO LOUISIANA AND HAD A BLAST (EXCEPT WHEN IT STARTED RAINING TOOK ME ABOUT 30 MIN TO FIQURE OUT HOW TO PUT THE TOP ON)