Vipers plastic headlights... are you kidding me!

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So a friend ( owns a 911, is passionate Ferrari F-1 fan) sees me at the C&C show in Irvine. Comes over and begins to bust my whats over the plastic headlight covers on the Vette and Viper compared to a Ferrari. I'm thinking are you *^$%ing kidding me? Now, I might work for him someday so I just kinda take it and let it go however, I just can't lay down for long. So I send him this email today.

Subject : Should Ferrari pull out of F-1?

Hey R.....,

I thought Ferrari (as all constructors) participated in F1 as place to really perfect their engineering and ultimately transfer that knowledge to their production vehicles. Based on the following Data compiled from laps run at Nurburgring, I'm lead to believe that Ferrari is wasting their time and should probably withdraw from F1. The following are top lap times:

7:25 Ferrari Enzo $500,000 ++++
7:39 Ferrari 430 Scuderia $272,000 +
7:47 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano $315,000 +

7:22 Dodge Viper under $100K (arguably "priceless")

Maybe Ferrari should switch to plastic headlight covers on their cars. Weight might be the issue. Better yet..... maybe the new U.S. based F1 team should be using the Viper engine. Hmmm.... now we are onto something.

Don't get me started on Porsche. LOL :)

D....

I feel better now. :D

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Enzo's are much more expensive than 500k. More like a million. Nice email. I definitely think you made your point.:cool:

slartibartfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call them polycarbonate, not plastic. Some versions transmit light better than glass.

Mine don't. Damn things are clouding again. Previous owner had them polished, too.

Anyone who uses plastic for ANYTHING that is exposed to sunlight is an idiot. :nono: Well and truly. Plastics CANNOT handle U.V. Screw weight savings except on a race car where it really matters.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine don't. Damn things are clouding again. Previous owner had them polished, too.

Anyone who uses plastic for ANYTHING that is exposed to sunlight is an idiot. :nono: Well and truly. Plastics CANNOT handle U.V. Screw weight savings except on a race car where it really matters.

Yes, the UV coating gets worn off even faster when you polish them. Mine got so bad I replaced them. I still have them and they look like someone threw up on them.

It would be a big piece of glass, though.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So a friend ( owns a 911, is passionate Ferrari F-1 fan) sees me at the C&C show in Irvine. Comes over and begins to bust my whats over the plastic headlight covers on the Vette and Viper compared to a Ferrari. I'm thinking are you *^$%ing kidding me? Now, I might work for him someday so I just kinda take it and let it go however, I just can't lay down for long. So I send him this email today.

Subject : Should Ferrari pull out of F-1?

Hey R.....,

I thought Ferrari (as all constructors) participated in F1 as place to really perfect their engineering and ultimately transfer that knowledge to their production vehicles. Based on the following Data compiled from laps run at Nurburgring, I'm lead to believe that Ferrari is wasting their time and should probably withdraw from F1. The following are top lap times:

7:25 Ferrari Enzo $500,000 ++++
7:39 Ferrari 430 Scuderia $272,000 +
7:47 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano $315,000 +

7:22 Dodge Viper under $100K (arguably "priceless")

Maybe Ferrari should switch to plastic headlight covers on their cars. Weight might be the issue. Better yet..... maybe the new U.S. based F1 team should be using the Viper engine. Hmmm.... now we are onto something.

Don't get me started on Porsche. LOL :)

D....

I feel better now. :D

Very well put...:2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4