"Viper's sound like tractors"

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I brought my Viper to Indy Cars and Coffee a couple weeks back and I was about to give a friend a ride in the car. I turned the car on and I heard some guy behind me telling his friends that Vipers sound like Tractors, so I decided to give it a rev to prove him wrong. Someone got video of it. Thought it was funny and had to share.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62JBg04uasU

ipetrov

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was it a guy or a girl that made that comment? Because I can't tell based on the way he/she sounded.

Based on the giggle I'd say it was a girl.

intense5.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fine, tractors. 200+ mph tractors though. I did some good tracktoring yesterday with the top down:D.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The little girl in the house next door thinks my mom's sound like the garbage truck. Not entirely untrue, but the garbage truck doesn't resontate through the house and shake the pictures on the walls when it pulls up...

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd say Vipers don't sound like a tractor at all!:omg:

They sound like a V10 vacuum cleaner.....

...if they still have their stock exhaust installed :smirk:

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that comment was due to the Gen 1 vipers where there was 2 five cylinder motors being heard, my GTS sounds good in my opinion, much better than my SRT-10 did.

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll just keep listening to that sweet-tractoring each time I take her out---V10 rumble sounds wonderful to me.....The Viper is 'different' ....that is what I love about this car.......

ipetrov

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of these UPS truck / tractor comparisons apply to Vipers' exhaust note at idle. I don't think anyone in their right mind can say the same about Vipers' note at full song.

To be quite fair though, nothing I can think of sounds awfully exciting at idle. Even our beloved Italian exotica - they are either too quiet or sound like a civic with a fart can that's idling at 2,000 rpm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbdXmqEw9q8

Actually, there might be something that sounds arousing at idle - a Viper with a nasty big choppy cam (although people with feminine whiney voices like our friend in the first video might probably think it sounds like a broken engine):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxI_Mi0KKDk

OP
OP

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of these UPS truck / tractor comparisons apply to Vipers' exhaust note at idle. I don't think anyone in their right mind can say the same about Vipers' note at full song.

To be quite fair though, nothing I can think of sounds awfully exciting at idle. Even our beloved Italian exotica - they are either too quiet or sound like a civic with a fart can that's idling at 2,000 rpm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbdXmqEw9q8

Actually, there might be something that sounds arousing at idle - a Viper with a nasty big choppy cam (although people with feminine whiney voices like our friend in the first video might probably think it sounds like a broken engine):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxI_Mi0KKDk

That sounds incredible! I would love to eventually get an aggressive cam and GG heads.

red50trimsrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
01viper4me, what kind of exhaust does your car have? I really like the sound at wot, loud but I can't hear much rasp. best sounding n/a viper that I've seen yet

OP
OP

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
01viper4me, what kind of exhaust does your car have? I really like the sound at wot, loud but I can't hear much rasp. best sounding n/a viper that I've seen yet
I removed the rear center muffler and did straight pipes. I also did a Roe racing CAT delete for track use. Other than that it is stock. Total cost is less than $300.

OP
OP

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yours sounds great!
btw, what happened to the left part of your rear wing?

Haha I get that a lot. I am assuming it is an autoform wing; however, this was the wing that was on it when I bought it (it looks the same on the right side as well). There is a black rubber piece on each side of the spoiler is there to cover the drill holes for the rest of the spoiler I assume. I am going to fabricate a side piece at some point. But honestly I like the look of the smaller spoiler better than the ones with the pointed ends.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got to believe the guy in the video saying they sound like tractors is probably an idiot. I doubt he's ever heard a tractor.

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At low rpms my '94 (headers, no cats & 3" Borla pipes) sounded like a UPS truck. The telling point was one day my daughter was waiting for me to pick her up and told the teacher I just drove up because she heard my car. Went outside and there was a UPS truck :) I had also had drive thru places tell me to turn my truck off so they could hear me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21