Virginia Speeding Tax

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got this in an email from a lawyer buddy of mine. Let's be careful out there...

NEW VIRGINIA SPEEDING FINES EFFECTIVE 1 JULY 2010

New VA tax law goes into affect 1 July 2010.
Might want to pass this info around to your friends
and families. Cost can accumulate rather swiftly.
It only applies to Virginia Residents. Good information
for everyone. Please pass along. In short, 10-15 mph
over the posted speed limit is now $3,500 (after a new
points tax that was introduced) in the State of Virginia.

Virginia motorists convicted of minor traffic violations
will face a new, multi-year tax beginning July 1. Led
by state Delegate David B. Albo (R-Springfield),
lawmakers slipped a driver responsibility tax into a
larger transportation funding bill signed by Governor
Tim Kaine (D) in April.

Albo, a senior partner in the Albo & Oblon, LLP traffic
law firm, can expect to see a significant increase in
business as motorists seek to protect their wallet from
traffic tickets that come with assessments of up to $3000
in addition to an annual point tax that tops out at $700
a year for as long as the points remain.

"The purpose of the civil remedial fees imposed in this
section is to generate revenue," the new law states.
(Virginia Code 46.2-206.1)

Driving as little as 15 MPH over the limit on an interstate
highway now brings six license demerit points, a fine of
up to $2500, up to one year in jail, and a new mandatory
$1050 tax. The law also imposes an additional annual fee
of up to $100 if a prior conviction leaves the motorist
with a balance of eight demerit points, plus $75 for each
additional point (up to $700 a year). The conviction in this
example remains on the record for five years.

Other six-point convictions include "failing to give a proper
signal," "passing a school bus" or "driving with an obstructed
view." The same $1050 assessment applies, but the conviction
remains on the record for eleven years.

Although the amount of the tax can add up quickly, the law
forbids judges from reducing or suspending it in any way.
The tax applies only to Virginia residents, so that out-of-state
motorists only need to pay the regular ticket amount.
Michigan, New Jersey, New York, and Texas also impose
a somewhat more modest driver responsibility tax which
they apply to out-of-state residents.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe people will start to respect their lawyers more now if they get them off of the 3000 ticket. Just maybe.

That is a bullcrap law. If you don't have the money, are they going to put you in jail? 95 percent of the people in that state most likely don't have that amount of cash around. Over 4 percent of the average salary if you speed one time? Crazy.

Watch out "out of state people"..........

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I went to VIR back in 09', I was shocked at what a **** state they are when it comes to speeders. I had heard before, but man it's unreal. Now they've got worse? Holy crap. I would never consider moving there (or visiting/driving thru if I could help it) just b/c of the speeding laws.

Well at least they didn't try to give us the "its for safety" bullcrap :rolleyes::mad::crazy2::nono:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe people will start to respect their lawyers more now if they get them off of the 3000 ticket. Just maybe.

Watch out "out of state people"..........

Who do you think made up that law? Most lawmakers are lawyers. "The more I think about it, old Billy was right; let's kill all the lawyers, kill them tonight."

:crazy2::crazy2:

OP
OP
B

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The law doesn't even attempt to hide the fact that it's primary purpose is to generate revenue.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it's safe to say freedom isn't free in Virginia, at least not on the freeways..... (Umm, yeah..)

*****. Thx for the heads-up.....

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't this old news? Given that Kaine isn't the Governor anymore, I believe this is outdated. I think that whole thing got repealed since it targeted residents specifically. Can you cite a source that says this is current?

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget to add to this that Va is the only state that radar detectors are illegal. I have mine on EVERYTIME I drive in Virginia. A $75 ticket is a lot cheaper than a speeding ticket.

OP
OP
B

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't this old news? Given that Kaine isn't the Governor anymore, I believe this is outdated. I think that whole thing got repealed since it targeted residents specifically. Can you cite a source that says this is current?

It's on the internet. It has to be true.

OP
OP
B

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looks like Kelly-know-it-all is correct. Oh well. At least I have a black Viper.:D

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One things for sure, don't ever use your lawyer buddy for anything regarding the law.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I was having de-ja-vu. I remember this silly ---- when it was going on. By the way, the new govenor has passed a 70 mph limit on most interstates in VA, but it is taking a while to happen.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I was having de-ja-vu. I remember this silly ---- when it was going on. By the way, the new govenor has passed a 70 mph limit on most interstates in VA, but it is taking a while to happen.

At least a few common sense things happen when you put a Republican in the Governor's office. Not many, but a few. We also got rid of a very bad gun law this year after a governor veto the previous two years. VA ain't so bad.

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jeez I amost had a fricken heart attack!

I heard about this long time ago then heard it was pulled, now read this .....and thankfully FINISHED reading it.... UGH,

LOL.

One word - BELL STi
ok two words.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which gun law?

They repealed the 'restaurant ban', so those of us who carry concealed may now do so in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol provided we do not drink. The law made no sense, but it took getting rid of that ****** Tim Kaine to finally get it past the governor's desk and the democrats who wouldn't stand by their vote to override his veto.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Georgia was one of the first to make it a huge penalty and imprisonment if caught going something like 20 over the speed limit....chalk it all up to REVENUE ENHANCEMENT...they really don't care about safety, MONEY TALKS !

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Georgia was one of the first to make it a huge penalty and imprisonment if caught going something like 20 over the speed limit....chalk it all up to REVENUE ENHANCEMENT...they really don't care about safety, MONEY TALKS !

This is prob what you're thinking about. Georgia Super Speeder Law

No jail time, just jacked up speeding fines. Proving once again that it has nothing to do with safety, but all about revenue. :mad::mad::mad:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Way to go Kelly, getting the correct info out!! I thought I was going to fall out of my chair when BlackSnake 99 said, " It was on the internet, so it must be true." Dang , I know he said it in jest, but what a commentary on today's society. If it is on the internet it must be right --- thank goodness some one has the intelligence to see there is no internet police and there is a boatload of hogwash listed everyday.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went through the same thing with family and friends earlier this year when this surfaced (again). Thanks to Kelly for getting the info out before I could!

I remember fighting these a few years ago and having to convince judges to delay the imposition of the fees as the law was going to be repealed. However...ANYONE traveling through VA now should be warned that a version of this HAS come back! The VA "Move Over" law was expanded to state that if a driver sees any emergency vehicle (not just police, fire or EMS) that they must move over or slow down to a reasonably safe speed while passing the vehicle or face penalties up to 12 months in jail and a $2,500.00 fine. It has been expanded to include tow trucks, motorist assistance, clean up vehilce...basically ANYTHING with flashing emergency lights. Please keep this in mind as many people do not even move over for police on the side of the road.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went through the same thing with family and friends earlier this year when this surfaced (again). Thanks to Kelly for getting the info out before I could!

I remember fighting these a few years ago and having to convince judges to delay the imposition of the fees as the law was going to be repealed. However...ANYONE traveling through VA now should be warned that a version of this HAS come back! The VA "Move Over" law was expanded to state that if a driver sees any emergency vehicle (not just police, fire or EMS) that they must move over or slow down to a reasonably safe speed while passing the vehicle or face penalties up to 12 months in jail and a $2,500.00 fine. It has been expanded to include tow trucks, motorist assistance, clean up vehilce...basically ANYTHING with flashing emergency lights. Please keep this in mind as many people do not even move over for police on the side of the road.

I don't entirely disagree with this law. The ridiculous speeding fines previously mentioned are purely revenue driven, but the move-over law is meant to spank idiots like this:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2DS3RENDY0&feature=related[/media]
and

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLEJCrTNBw&has_verified=1[/media]

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with Kelly (didn't I just agree with Robert in another thread as well???) I support the "move over" law. People blocking or not moving over for emergency vehicles are idiots. Its time to make idiocy hurt (their checkbooks).