VOI 5 memories..........

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in Vegas as I write this.Probably one of the few people that comes out here for work (legal). As I sit here, I am looking out over the MGM parking deck and fondly remembering the incomparable sight of hundreds of snakes rolling out each early morning back in 99 headed for Vegas Motor Speedway---making it real hard to focus on work. Just thought I would remind the guys and gals of the great times and fun the VCA creates.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great idea - let's post our favorite VOI5 memories...

It was our first VOI and a couple of things stick out in my mind... I remember walking around the parking garage and looking at all the cars - trying to find close build numbers to our first 1996 GTS... Met Kingman Hitz, Jon B, Philip and Donna Simms, the Thomas Family for the first time and even though we were relatively new to the VCA family - met folks that have become VERY GOOD friends.

Then, as all the snakes left the parking garage for the Valley of Fire Gran Prix
smile.gif
, or for the group photo at the track, setting off all the car alarms as we rumbled through....

And let's not forget "Viva Las Viper".......

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn't make it to VOI 5. Can I post my favorite VOI 6 memories?

I was there with my brother before he went over to the dark side (marriage).

From a room on the sixth floor, hearing the Vipers cruise by all day and night.

In the garage with all those Vipers and realizing how bad my exhaust sounded. I think I was the only one that had stock exhaust. The muffler came off within a month of returning.

Great food. Great racing facilities. Great hotel.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe,

I have about 6 of those little tires in my garage from VOI
smile.gif
If you recall, not too many people went to the BBQ, and nobody grabbed stuff when we left, so all the folks at my table grabbed a tire, and nobody wanted them, so I got them all.

I have mounted 4 to a go-kart that I am building... another one holds stuff on my desk, and the last I sit on when I work on my bike...

You DID ask what anyone would do with them, right?
smile.gif

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K Adelberg:
My favorite was the VOI-5 t-shirt. You know the one that made the different sounds. One was the Viper engine sound, dice, and even sang "Viva Las Viper". Its my favorite shirt!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's become of my lil' Whoadie? Kenny likes the shiny T-shirt! Niiiiiiiice.

PS-Was one of those sounds eminating from your T-shirt, "Kenny's a *******"?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Personal Highlights of all 7...... and some lowlights.

VOI-1----When the Rousch Racing Inaugural Brickyard 400 hauler unloaded, (and later picked up) my 1993 RT at the Hotel. Onlookers were stunned! MACK tour. Totally accessible Team Viper and Dodge Execs. You could feel the love...the WOODSTOCK of VOIs !

-Lutz's ODE and speech at the Dodge mansion

VOI-2---------The Autoweek Rolling Concourse, which made the front page of the Monterey Herald during historic weekend. The 62-car convoy still used in Dodge marketing videos.....GTS-R debut. Great comaraderie. 1996 GTS vouchers handed out! Free Hardtop, too !!

-And Lutz's ODE and speech.

VOI-3-------The convoy to Indy, Pac-NW Region......Synchronized driving manuevers....arriving w/ 34 Vipers after an overnight party at Roanoke Dodge. PaceCar for Indy Driver parade.....and then driving on the speedway itself. Helping stop a lynch-mob led by _____ and working w/ USAC to restore limited driving ops for members after a Ga. guest went brain dead and got 400 people black-flagged.

-Lutz's Ode and speech.

VOI-4-------- SEBRING! Helping to plan that event. Staying there all day. The Beach Boys performed my "Little Blue Coupe" parody, and teased me about it from the stage! Autographed their own hand-written lyrics to it, saying "keep your day job!" Marty Levine loaned Brenda and I the Concept PPV Prowler for an hour.

And Lutz's Ode and speech.

VOI-5--------VIVA indeed. Convoy with Pac-NW Region. John Hennessey tossed me the keys to his Venom 650R for a short test drive, at the speedway! Met a lot of folks in "the new Viperdom" but as VOI-s go, a lower-energy event in my opinion.

-NO Live Lutz, but a nice taped Ode.

VOI.6------ My old home town, so **-hum. Stayed w/ mom. Highlight was the ++generous++ loan of Janni's car for the Park Parade....and driving the Justin Bell Pacecar for Viper Days AFTERWARDS.......Stomping the corvette model. I met a LOT of "Viper Family" and bought very few beers! I hate fireworks... what a waste of time and $$$$. {in use 4000 years, so I must be stoopid !}

Lutz taped an ode...... Probably a finale

VOI-7------- In 2002, in DETROIT. TENTH BIRTHDAY PARTY extraordinaire for VIPER. WOODSTOCK Redux....... Can I sign up yet? We are due for another GREAT VOI, like 1,2,4 .......

Who STARTED this thread, anyway?????

OP
OP
viperdrummer

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...I started it, only because I was looking over at the MGM parking deck this morning and getting misty eyed-I didn't realize what a bunch of sentamental types you all are (though I enjoyed every post). Jon B--is it me or did you get your VOI numbers out of order. PS By contast today I parked in the MGM lot in a rented Crown Vic only to have some Jerry Springer type chick (with her tank topped boyfriend) claim I took her spot and call me an a-hole---not quite the reception we got when we were driving the snakes. It was actually funny because when I got out of the cop look alike rent a car , it was clear that I am twice the size of the Springer guests and the boyfriend was begging her to shut up. I simply walked past wishing them good luck in the Elvis room.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by viperdrummer:
......Jon B--is it me or did you get your VOI numbers out of order. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I told you I must be stoopid ! I had the VOIs in order but apparently can't count. You did order TWO sets of headers, did'nt you?!?

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My favorite was the VOI-5 t-shirt. You know the one that made the different sounds. One was the Viper engine sound, dice, and even sang "Viva Las Viper". Its my favorite shirt!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
One of my favorite comedies was watching everyone scrambling for those go-cart tire centerpieces that were at the barbecue in the tent by the track.

What the heck could anyone do with those tires (unless you have a cart?)... but ****! They disappeared like they were made out of gold!

Too Funny!

Please note:

I will volunteer to be on the pilfer prevention comittee for next VOI. We're nailin' the centerpieces down, eyehooking the banners to the ceiling, and all hats, T-shirts, yo-yo's, and other novelties will be "lojacked" for easy search and seizure!

... a matter of fact, each slice of prime rib will be coded with your VIN number and picture ID will be used for all refills at the bar!

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonB - PartsRack:

working w/ USAC to restore limited driving ops for members after a Ga. guest went brain dead and got 400 people black-flagged.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh?? Spin us a tale, Uncle Jon!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonB - PartsRack:

We are due for another GREAT VOI, like 1,2,4 .......

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What was wrong with VOI6?? That was the most fun I've ever had!

bounce.gif

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 97 GTS:
Spin Us a tale, Uncle Jon............
bounce.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, one of the promised highlights of VOI-3 was to be a couple of parade laps on the famous IMS, by 600+ VCA members. First-rate professional photo at "The Pylon" at the pit entrance....

Strict protocol, pace trucks, spotters. etc. Surface of track 100% refurbished and spotless after qualifying in prep for race day. Speeds about 60-70 mph. We were scheduled in 6 "flights" of 100 cars over the day. This included my ride/drive w/ Bob Lutz in the REAL PaceCar, a viper trivia contest I won at VCA prez meeting.

First 2 groups (me included) go off without a hitch. 3rd group has a ***** 18-19 year old GUEST of a dealer (not a Viper owner-member) who decideds to do a BURNOUT in the 1st short chute. Steward decends on him and warns him but lets him go. ***** turns the next corner and does a BIG LURID burnout, and the steward-cops are now in pursuit. At the next turn he does it again. 3 sets of black skid marks on track.

USAC black-flags VCA, and Lutz himself ! 400+ Rides CANCELLED!

Later, several rowdy VCAers led by _____ start a {literal) lynch-mob mentality, threatening identify him, to destroy "his" car and beat him up. Dodge Marketing later decides they cannot legally pull his credentials, but they send him a letter warning him that they cannot guarantee his safety. I have a copy somewhere! He (supposedly) leaves next day, with a security guard watching his car all night. (White 96 RT/10, with dealer "JEEP" plate from Georgia.)

Vocal mob led by same _____ decides to "blackmail" Dodge by stopping payment on credit cards for VOI, due to "non delivery of the services" --- the promised laps. Ron Smith, Maurice Liang, and myself, pleaded w/ USAC Stewards. As the only SCCA member involved, my plea "You cannot justify black-flagging the whole team due to one infraction of one driver" seemed to hit home with them. USAC agreed to allow owners extra track time AFTER the race. Maurice and I made the announcement. But even Bob Lutz's and my "special" ride remained cancelled.

In my opinion, we almost LOST VOIs after the mob event and gripe letters.......Definitely the all-time lowlight of all 6 VOIs. Partially in response to all the mob-rabble demands, Dodge appointed a "VOI Steering Committee" of VCA presidents to help plan VOI-4......

Sorry you asked??????

P.S. Since these are "personal" highlights, and VOI-6 was the only 1 where I did'nt have my car, was in my old hometown, it was **-hum for me Vs. 1,2,and 4. Would I miss a VOI? NOPE!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala