VOI 7 Nashville-Sept.2002

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta laugh, I remember last year when people complained about the selection of St Louis.... and decided not to go..... after the event was over, and all that attended were letting us know how much fun it was...... oh well, you get my drift.

The rumors are the event is actually going to be in "late" September, the 26th to the 30th... a time of year that sparkles in the south. I've stayed at the Opryland Hotel several times, it is worth the trip to Nashville in and of itself, add a thousand Vipers or so, and WOW!

I've been lucky enough to attend all the VOI's except Monterey, and I can honestly say, every one was a blast (even the Rainandmudtational at Indy)! Each had its strengths and weaknesses, but everyone was like living in a "Viper" dream. Let me be the first to say.... If you don't go, you will regret it.

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There have been sightings reported of "Elvis" driving a Viper in Nashville! Lets get ready for some fun in one of the great cities of the south, Nashville. Who knows, maybe "Elvis" will be there!

zoomie

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hear, hear, Ron !
The party is what the people make it!
Do I hear 'convoy' from the Va/Md club ?
Nashville's a very nice town. Country isn't
my favorite either, but lots more there.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK! OK! Rest assured there will be a convoy from the Md/Va region. It's roughly 675 miles from Washington to Nashville. Looks like a nice two-day trip with the overnight in Knoxville.

Now, if we can line up a rendezvous (ala Wing King's Shindig in 1999 in Branson, Missouri) in Knoxville for the attendees from all the Eastern states to meet, we'll have a pretty impressive Viper convoy the last 170 miles down I-40 into Nashville.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YES! That's the spirit Ron! Something tells me that all the western convoys should be able to hook up in Memphis for another "The Night Before in ........" party as well.

Can you imagine 1,000 Vipers in Nashville?? What a show! There absolutely HAS to be a country song in that from someone!
laugh.gif

Ready to pack my bags right now! See y'all there!

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad it is not two weeks earlier. Then it would coincide with the Labor Day festival at the Corvette Museum 45 miles north in Bowling Green. The only thing better than 1000 Vipers in Nashville would be 4000 Vettes to play with.

Greg
96 RT (K&N carbon fiber airbox, smooth tubes, Borla 3" exhaust, revalved Konis, Eibach springs, adj endlinks, anti-toe brackets, Shelby wing)
00 GTS (K&N's, Autoform wing)
01 SVT COBRA

Reaction score
A lot of us can always hook up before VOI7 and have one hell of a PARTY!! We only live 20 minutes from Opryland Hotel.... How's that sound?? Plus if someone needs a place to stay with a GARAGE just let me know.
usa-clear-s.gif

Jim Peffers

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My wife and I went on a vacation to the Gulf Coast (Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama) in mid September this year. We drove from central Ohio to Nashville (I71-I65), Nashville to Memphis (I40), south along the Mississippi to Louisiana (If you are into Civil War history, Vicksburg is great). Our return trip was up through Alabama (I65N) and back to Nashville and then from Nashville we followed the same route home that we took coming down. For the Nashville area, I can report that the weather at this time of year was very nice (highs 75-85) and no rain. The roads were in very good shape and should present no problems and for the most part, were quite scenic. (Unlike Detroit where the roads are terrible - I was there earlier this year and I mentioned to my wife that I was glad that I was driving a truck and not the Viper). My point is that I think that Dodge made a very good choice in that Nashville is a good city with easy access, good roads, nice facilities and a shot at good weather. I'm all for it!!!
usa-clear-s.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Biff Brown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a feeling that this Invitational may be one of our BEST!!!, Look for several surprises from Dodge as they never fail to amaze us... For those of you who haven't experienced one of these, I STRONGLY suggest that you make your reservations ASAP!!.... Nashville, Opreyland, 1000+ Vipers, SRT-10's, Friends, Owners, Vendors, Racing, Stories... Now if we could only get the "Boys" to joins us....BRING ON AEROSMITH!!!!...

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the mayor of Truckville will be in attendance. be sure to reserve your seats now. You do not want to miss out on what the mayor has in store for us.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK - to all you naysayers... you'll be sorry.

This will be my third VOI. Vegas was fun, but in a way, too distracting. Where else could 800 Vipers roll into town and blend into the background? It was sensory overload. The hotel was ok - but almost too huge - there were 3 or four other groups there for a convention - it was NOT a Viper Nation takeover. I don't gamble, so maybe I am biased...

St. Louis - the Adam's Mark - while not as "exciting" a hotel, WAS VIPER CENTRAL. Everyone there was there for Vipering- the lobby and the streets were lined with Owners Invitational Banners. It was managable and navigable.

Nashville will be GREAT - Opryland is a phenomenal hotel. We'll be a "big deal" for the hotel AND the city. The entertainment will be first class, but the real fun of these events is participating in the stuff at the track, the poker runs, visiting the suppliers, buying stuff, maybe watching the raffle car be presented to the new owner... Not too many cities can handle what Dodge is asking for - and believe me - Viper Owners are a vocal and demanding group. Come to Nashvile, you won't be disappointed. Its a great deal, and the access you have to PVO and Dodge execs is unequaled in the industry.

And if you have never been to an invitational, you really can't comment... There's more to it than the location....

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been working in nashville for the last few months... Being from Dallas, I thought that it would **** big time. I thought all the same things you guys are saying, country music, hicks, etc etc.

Now that I've been here, let me tell you why this would be a good place for a VOI.

1) No cops. I'm a freaking speed-demon, everyone who knows me can vouch for that, I haven't even SEEN a cop, much less been pulled over
2) It's pretty. They'll be some sweet photo-ops here
3) Roads: The roads are sweet, little traffic, good condition.
4) Airport: the airport is very convenient. Flights might **** for some, but I've been in 15 different airports since 9/11 and its by far the easiest in-and-out.
5) Opryland hotel is cool: It just is. I hate the cheesy factor, but you gotta do it just once

Those are my opinions, it kind of ***** to actually live here (if you're used to nice restaurants, fast paced lifestyle, etc etc.) but for this event, seems like a good choice.

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Compare the numbers from ST Louis to the other Voi.s They were down and their were more VCA Members than ever before."
I agree that the choice of city was part of the reason for the decreased interest in VOI 6, but also many people who otherwise would have gone were unable to because VOI 6 was made family-unfriendly (ie no kids allowed).

There are probably better choices than Nashville, but I figure it's my chance to see a city that I've never been to and would probably never see in the future otherwise- looking forward to it!

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am trying like hell to go!!
but right now finding child care during school time is tough!!
if there is a way i will be there
smile.gif

if not ... next maybe time
frown.gif

ACR Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Biff is thinking the sane thing that I was....what better entertainment then to have Aerosmith perform!!! With the promotional deal that they have it shouldn't be too hard
cool.gif
cool.gif

For those that have posted their gripe about the location...<FONT size="5">ENOUGH ALREADY</FONT s> and if you haven't griped yet, save it.

I missed last years VOI, and thanks to Chris Marshall who posted tons of photos, so that those who didn't make it could almost feel like they were there (and I felt like I really missed out by not going).

Let's focus on the fun and the anticipation.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alan M 98 GTS NY:
Now where did I put those Billy Bob teeth so I can fit in?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From James Cole, a member of the Dallas Region. Get his info from Kingman
smile.gif

BJ MOTORS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yee Haa, Let's Get This Party Started. I think that's been stated before. Sounds like good food, good fun and awesome cars.
And who knows maybe an apperance from Aerosmith In Person. Walk This Way!Talk This Way!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
All recommendations are appreciated, but lets keep in mind that the logistics are much more complicated than which city is "the coolest". Dodge and JR Thompson works countless hours addressing issues that, through years of producing these masterpieces, have become major issues to contend with:

Lodging - 800-1000 top quality room availability, during the weeks that have been decided. 5 star banquet facility to accomodate 1200+! with large stage for awesome entertainment, additional conference rooms for Viper HQ's "offsite" headquarters, seminars, etc. Convention style area for our vendors area.

Parking - Our owners demand exclusive parking, with 24 hour security, very close to our selected hotel....for 800+ Snakes!

Location, Location, Location - VOI's demand a track, not just any track, a superspeedway is preferred, AND close enough, and with quality direct routes to support the constant slithering of Vipers to and from the hotel. The track has to have an available time slot (1 week!) to use as a Reliable Truck "Viper Drop", Instruction, Track time, extra curricular activities (can anyone say AUTOCROSS!), food, tents, vendors, and quality facilities.

Entertainment - Family entertainment availability preferred

Weather - Need I say more?

Price - Leave it to every Viper owner to price shop and achieve maximum value for each hard earned dollar! Dodge and JR Thompson sets a "price point" that they feel will leave everyone satisfied!

Repetition - Dodge isn't ready to "rotate" through previous invitationals, although there might be a time when a 2nd round at our favorite spots is the ONLY options left.

AND.... just as icing on the cake, Nashville happens to be a hub geographically of one of the largest populations of Viper owners (in other words, taking a look at a map of the US, drawing a circle around the largest concentration of owners). So, it's actually VERY convenient and driveable for a majority of Viper owners.

Sit back, enjoy, and register early! Like a Club Med, it almost doesn't matter where it is, the actractive elements ALWAYS stay the same! Great Food, Great Track Time, Great Entertainment, and Great Friendships!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For all you that do not APPROVE of the choice, why don't you make a choice and NOT SHOW UP!

For all intensive purposes, this could well be the last VOI we ever get? Know one knows what the future holds. So either show up and have the time of your life, organize and put one on YOURSELF, or just shut the hell up.

Believe it or not, some of us ARE grateful that Dodge considers us much more that a typical "vehicle owner". To show us how much they care we get a party like NO OTHER IN THIS INDUSTRY, yet it isn't good enough for you? Then DON'T GO!!!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
For all you that do not APPROVE of the choice, why don't you make a choice and NOT SHOW UP!

it isn't good enough for you? Then DON'T GO!!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve, I used to get just as aggravated at all the whiners. Now I read them for the entertainment value and hope that DC doesn't take their advice.

St Louis was great and I know Nashville will be great too.

Get that comedian they had in St Louis! He was hillarious!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck I wouldn't say I am frustrated as much as I worry that someone that is doing all of this work to give me a good time might actually see this crap. Let's face it, if they think that we do not appreciate their efforts, this could very well go away. That would take no effort on their part!

If someone does not get the effort, then fine. But what right do they have to ruin it for those that do appreciate it?

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1bad gts:
Just the fact that VCA Members are making the statement, the people make the event not the location is a direct indication that the location is in fact on their minds.IAM ENTITLED TO MY OPINION that there are many ,many places better suited to make this event A bigger success than Nashville.How about New Orleans,Phoenix,San Diego,Dallas ,or Vegas,or Orlando.Compare the numbers from ST Louis to the other Voi.s They were down and their were more VCA Members than ever before.That tells me people had no INTEREST in going to that city.Besides boredom,what is the exact current critera for choosing a city to host a VOI.Iam told it is hotel accomodations and proximity to the racetracks.The attendence numbers will tell the final truth.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are certainly entitled to your opinion... again speaking as a person that has been to all but one (Monterey) VOI's

I happen to disagree on "The numbers will show the truth" and as for location making the dif, Indy sounds great, but it was absolutely awful, traffic was bad, being tied to the Indy 500 made for little interaction with folks from Dodge, it gave many great memories, but did not have the thing that makes VOI's great.... ie was not an event about Vipers, it was Vipers at someone else's event....

When deciding on a location for VOI's the criteria become very limited when you mention.... oh, we need a place to put 1000 cars safely, and 2000 people.... most hotels just "say no", since we have already done Vegas and Orlando... and find a location with great roads and no big traffic problems rules out many more options.... proximity to tracks, willingness of the venue to assist/desire the event is a key too. New Orleans.... Sounds like a Cajun Nashville to me
smile.gif

Already had one Monterey (So. Cal) as well, so why not something new? Nashville is a great town, Opryland Hotel is AWESOME, traffic should not be that bad.... I personally think it will be great. Orlando and Vegas were excellent, but hey, we've "been there and done that". New is fun!

Hope you make the trip, if not, your loss.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve-opinions are like a**holes...everybody has one. Those of us who have been involved in planning VCA and local events well know that you cannot please everyone. We just do the best we can and the members that have a good time will hopefully say thank you every once in a while. Don't get frustrated.
BTW... Dodge/JRT might think about Scottsdale for next time. Great resorts and not too far from PIR.

Tony Cantafio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's no such thing as a bad VOI. The sights---hundreds of Vipers---and the sounds---thousands of V-10 exhausts--are hard to beat, whether in Nashville or Anyville.

Go. Enjoy. Drive fast. Autocross. Eat. Drink (responsibly). Talk Vipers. See Vipers. Be entertained. Take home gifts. Memories. Accessories. 450 HP...500HP...600 HP..1,000 HP. Make new friends. See old friends. Find out if there really is a Jon B.

What am I missing? ********, that's what. No ********.

See you in Nashville.

And thank you, Dodge.

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some people keep talking about the number of Viper and attendees being down at St.Louis.

Unless I'm mistaken, only 600 cars being able to enter was decided even before the invitations were sent out to us for attending VOI6.

If they're going to let more cars enter it's all the better for us!

I know I'm planning on attending! Before attending VOI6 I figured I had to at least go to it because I live in the St.Louis subburbs. I had thought it would probably be the only one I would worry about going to because of the location.
(At least that's how I justified the expense to my wife, haha).

After being at VOI6 and having such a Great time, it's well worth the money.

Count Me In for Nashville!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The success of an event is NOT judged the numbers that attend. We have some of the smallest regional events of all the clubs here in the Mid-South... and the folks that attend our events have a great time. I'd rather have 10 or 20 crazy-happy attendees at our events, than 150 that leave "satisfied", but not ecstatic (of couse 150 crazy happy is good to!). Numbers mean nothing. The folks that attended St. Louis had a GREAT time, so in my mind it was a very successful event. I got to spend a lot of time with Team V. and people with a similar passion, met old friends, made new friends, got lucky and won a door prize (a Snake Oyl Viper Bar Stool), even won a centerpiece. The street party and fireworks were the Viper Social events of the year. Sorry, can't imagine anyone there that did not have a great time. You can Vacation in Vegas, or Orlando anytime, if you need a VOI as an excuse to go to a "tourist" location, than you'll likely not really enjoy a VOI anyway. The Viper friends I've met over the year ARE the party, and the party is where they are....

A Friend told me once not to argue with a "insert defiling description here", because people watching might not know which one of you is the "insert defiling description here". Well, it is time for me to stop.

Tony, we need to figure out a way for you to make it to Nashville!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad you are right! How could Dodge plan a party in September (when good children SHOULD be in school) based on a 2 seat sports car (the majority of Viper's I have seen) and not have made provisions for the entire family. Well you know the old saying about assuming!

Chad, if you are looking for a Family vacation or gathering may I suggest taking advantage of the mini-van promotion at Disney World that Dodge did last year. I know that I got one since I own a mini-van, but I do not have kids. Boy how inconsiderate of Dodge not to make a family vacation that would allow me to bring my 200+ Lbs dogs!

Come on, let's get real.

I suggest you go buy a 4-seat sports car, and maybe if and when (I doubt) they have an owners Invitational, they will have the vision to include the entire family.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4