VOI 8: THE TRACK (pics and commentary)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While Joe has simply outdone himself in the picture category, I thought I would add some more details and impressions after getting a "sneak peek" at the upcoming Viper Owners Invitational this past weekend. Because I shot a LOT of pictures, I will separate the posts by hotel, track, and Friday night. Now, the track.

If you haven't seen the Texas Motor Speedway, then you are in for one heck of a surprise when you get there. Like everything else in Texas, this place is gigantic. Some 200,000 fans jammed in to see the most recent NASCAR race at this 1.5 mile quad-oval super speedway.

You must be registered for see images

Of course, as with every Viper Owner Invitational, there are a LOT of driving activities planned. For the skidpad, SRT-4 autocross, Viper road racing (Skip Barber), Viper tuners/aftermarket parts vendors, and the banked oval, you will be inside the main track complex. Always fun to pull up to this just before you head down the tunnel to the infield:

The first thing you will pass will be the Neon SRT-4 autocross set up just for you. This is also where I believe they run the Legends series:

Imagine a timed course in one of the hottest little sports cars on the road today. Better yet, they are race-prepared with racing harnesses and all the goodies. Provided by Dodge, you don't pay for gas, tires, or brakes. Drive it like you stole it! ;) Here is a view of that same parking lot/course from above. If you look closely, you can see some outlines from previous autocross and Legends setups. Big and fast!

In that same picture above, you can see the garage areas where all of the Viper vendors will be set up. Just above that is another paved area which will be set up for the Skip Barber skidpad. There you will test your skills in a controlled skid, once again abusing a car (truck) that is provided for you. Now look up on the top left. See all those squiggly lines? That, my friends, is where you will be pushing your Vipers under the capable watch of Skip Barber instructors. Whether you are a novice or a pro, this challenging road course will test your limits long before they test your cars:

Not to worry, the barrels and trash dumpsters are removed for events like this. Sure, you are thinking it isn't very big, right? Look a little closer and you will see a full-size pickup truck on the access road to the left of the road course. That should give you a little better perspective on the size of this course. But what about that big, beautiful quad-oval? Skip Barber came down and inspected this setup before everything was nailed down. They felt that the transition from the 24º banked oval to the road course was too abrupt for a novice. They also felt that the speeds of the main track could be not only challenging, but downright dangerous to some folks with little or no track experience. In 2001, Championship Auto Racing Teams (now Champ Car) canceled a race at TMS just hours before the start because 21 of 25 drivers complained of dizziness and disorientation after practicing at speeds in excess of 230 mph. NASA engineers later determined they were suffering from G-forces sufficient to cause unconsciousness after as few as 20 laps. Hard to believe but true. So will the Vipers get to use it at all? You betcha! With a pair of pickup trucks to pace and chase the Vipers, you will get the opportunity to drive this incredible track:

"Geez, pickup trucks?" you groan. Ah yes, but not some watered down Toyotas. Appropriately enough, full-blown SRT-10 Dodge Rams will be leading the charge. Your grandma may want to sit this one out! ;) Not to worry, Grandma will be so busy buying parts and upgrades for the Viper that she won't have time anyway. The TMS garages will be set up with some of the most renowned Viper tuners and aftermarket suppliers in the world. Most will have equipment right there where they can perform work on your car while you wait. You can also check out the latest supercharging technology and other nifty upgrades that you usually only read about.

Okay, so you think your plate is pretty full from inside the track, but you are FAR from done! A quick jaunt to the outside and you find a couple big areas with a flurry of activity. Congratulations, you just found the SRT "test" area, Viper autocross, and defensive driving course! First, way off in the distance is a HUGE obstruction-free area for the Viper autocross:

You can see the faint tracks of previous autocrosses that were set up there, including a recent event with those lethargic Corvettes. :D Worried about room to run your Vipers? Look closely and you will see about a dozen cars parked on that lot at the top right. Should give you a better idea of the size of that lot. BIG! Now in the closer lots (and off-camera on the left) will be the SRT test area. Here you will get to drive the Crossfire SRT-6, the Viper-powered Dodge Ram SRT-10, and very probably be one of the first to drive the new SRT-8 Magnum (yes, a factory supercharged Hemi!). Worried about staying safe with all those new cars? This year there will be a special defensive driving course taught by Skip Barber instructors in various Dodge vehicles for those that are interested. Great for those folks that don't normally get much driving time.

Whew! I think that is about it on the track. The track is obviously a great one and it looks like there will be a LOT of activities available to keep you busy longer than you have time. My only disappointment is that the panoramic group photo is not available to be shot on the track itself due to concerns about the infield grass condition. Of course if it were me, I would either negotiate it in anyway and/or offer to cover the cost of some sod if necessary. The best panoramic shots have always been on the banks of a track. I skipped Nashville as I wasn't thrilled with a parking lot photo. I am really hoping we can avoid that in Dallas, but am thrilled with the venue regardless.

Be sure to look for my other posts on the hotel and Friday night activities!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21